Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Gonkulator
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Post by Gonkulator » Thu May 31, 2012 6:05 am

clickeye wrote:I had another meeting with Danny and we are going forward on the first batch. We have to hustle to get the Pickup winder developed (Winding them by hand is a pain). After further testing we are more impressed with the sound than we remembered. We are probably going to just make the gauge of the winding smaller to get a little more gain and leave them at that. We also talked more about having a more professional looking logo printed for the headstock.

On another issue, we have decided that binding (Even on the solid bodies) will be standard but if anyone wants to opt out they can. We even toyed with the idea of an option to have a solid with a sound hole that looks Semi-Hollow. Another small change will be a ID tag inside the sound hole.

We are also considering building our own 4' x 4' CNC router for the bodies and pick guards.

All and all we are pleased with the guitar's aesthetics, ergonomics and sound. No drastic changes are necessary and we will fight the urge to make changes for the sake of seeing something "Different"- Tim
Glad to see that things are coming along! Do you guys have a plan to start a website for the guitars?

bandofdan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bandofdan » Thu May 31, 2012 8:30 am

This is such an incredible story.
clickeye wrote:The other part of the meeting involved color options. We know that there will be these colors offered. Black, Blue (Like the one we are getting back. It's '57 Ford blue), and Brown burst. The rest of the colors are undecided. We have no idea what color we used on Live-I-Evil's red one. We are happy to let his be unique and choose another red. The big question is Green because we have no desire to replicate the Courtney Love one. It will be non-Metallic green this time around.

I would 100% purchase any green colored guitar you guys produce. Have you already been completely inundated with order requests?
2013 OSG Fantasy Football League Champion

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clickeye » Thu May 31, 2012 2:03 pm

Yes, we are planning a blog about the process and then we will make a real site. And, we have gotten a number of people interested. We are basically keeping tabs on the people who show interest on the site and they will get first crack at the first batch. They will be the bridge between the old batch and the new because they have bodies that were made made 20 years ago. We have about 10 + good bodies. -Tim

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu May 31, 2012 2:06 pm

Can't wait to see them! :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

brianjdc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brianjdc » Thu May 31, 2012 5:50 pm

this is going to be epic! i cant wait

taurodont
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by taurodont » Thu May 31, 2012 6:20 pm

Interesting thread. What's the scale length on these?

luckeemike
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by luckeemike » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:27 pm

I saw the mercury guitar in an old Hole video over 15 years ago; the green one that Courtney was playing. I thought it was the most amazing looking guitar and have been trying to figure out the brand ever since. I was overjoyed to come across this thread and learn the whole background of the guitar! What an amazing story, I am so stoked that you guys are going to start producing this guitar again, I would definately be a happy paying customer if these guitars become available for purchase! ROCK ON GUYS!!!

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clickeye » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:47 pm

I think that the guitars were 24.75" scale length. We'll check to make sure. Got another load of tools today. We are pushing along and getting pretty excited.

luckeemike
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by luckeemike » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:25 pm

I just had the pleasure this evening of meeting Tim at a party in colorado and he let me see the guitar, it was stunning!!! Tim was such a nice guy and I am so excited that he is going to start making the guitar again.

andnowwhat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andnowwhat » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:37 pm

I was wondering what neck shape(s) will you guys be offering?

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clickeye » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Probably just one neck shape at first. We will see later on. I went to a car show today to find a gold color for the guitars. Here's a big tip to anyone reading this. Don't ever select colors from a chip whenever possible. It will never look like you think it will once it is on a surface. I am steering away from Gibson type gold and turning more toward a light copper. Our guitars will never leave our shop in a pearl or "Flip Flop" color by the way. I have an allergic reaction to bad taste.-Tim

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:44 am

clickeye wrote:Probably just one neck shape at first. We will see later on. I went to a car show today to find a gold color for the guitars. Here's a big tip to anyone reading this. Don't ever select colors from a chip whenever possible. It will never look like you think it will once it is on a surface. I am steering away from Gibson type gold and turning more toward a light copper. Our guitars will never leave our shop in a pearl or "Flip Flop" color by the way. I have an allergic reaction to bad taste.-Tim
Haha! I got the bridge a couple days ago Tim and finally have a day off so I can set up my red Mercury. I will then proceed to post some pics of it in all of its glory. Thanks again.

Gonkulator
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gonkulator » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:48 am

clickeye wrote:Our guitars will never leave our shop in a pearl or "Flip Flop" color by the way. I have an allergic reaction to bad taste.-Tim
Don't we all :D

Can't wait to see some finished products!

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:51 pm

well since you guys didn't sue CL about stealing the design, i hope i won't be sued cuz of these pics... :whistle:

outta the Squier Electrics book:

:ph34r:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

enharmonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by enharmonic » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:58 pm

I won't be in financial position to make it for the first batch, but I'd love to make the second :)

Any chance of seeing one in olympic white with a black pickguard?