Why I keep coming back to the Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Why I keep coming back to the Jaguar

Post by pocaloc » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:50 am

Congrats. Thanks for brining this thread back. I remember thinking it was a good thread.

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:34 pm

I'm back thinking of getting into a Jaguar lately. I've actually bought and sold three. My issue like so many others is with the scale length. I hold myself to one electric and one acoustic and keep telling myself I can't feel cramped on my one and only electric...but looks wise and sound wise, the Jaguar is my perfect guitar....maybe a Gibson 330 with bigsby might fit the bill too I guess. Anyway, I'm sure I could get used to the scale. All three Jags I've played have been thin skins with the 9.5 radius and 6105 frets. I wonder if the AVRI neck would make a difference with how I feel about the neck. Either way, I've been reading about jags and thought I'd post again on this thread to get more of people's thought on that Jag magic. Here is a video that really got me going again on the Jaguar:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CNK74mBhwms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Why not have more than one guitar? You will feel cramped…you will also have amazing dexterity. It's a trade off. I have a Jag and a JM. Love em both. They both cover different range. They genuinely are surprisingly different for something so similarly designed.

benji
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benji » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:06 am

I've bought and sold 2 jags, but right now I'm thinking seriously about buying another one.

My first Jag was an AVRI. I just never bonded with the neck; I found the profile uncomfortable. My next was a VM. I initially loved the neck. The Jag profile just seemed to work much better with the 9.5" radius. I sold it because I decided the short scale was no longer working for me. Now I am starting to seriously regret it.

My daily driver is a JM, but having both a Jag and a JM is really nice. I think for some songs the Jag is too cramped and I need the JM. For other songs, the JM neck is too long and the Jag makes it much easier.

I have also felt at times that the Jag is too bright. I now have 250k pots in my JM. Has anyone put 250k pots in their Jag?

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:19 am

I think it really is one of those things that if you want that Jaguar sound, you have to go with the 24" scale. That hollow "thunk" has a lot to do with the slack strings I think. I've heard Jeff Senn's full scale "Jazzuar" and it does have a cool sound all it's own, but for the full Jaguar experience you need all of the ingredients and just have to get used to the short scale.

hydra19
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hydra19 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks for this, I totally love my Jag, even though I had it on sale a few times as I don't play it much, but when I do, it feels so familiar and my playing is better. I had Mosrite gas so I have lots of those but my journey with the Jag is the best one. I've often told people it feels like my 11th finger.

I bought it without doing my homework about the short scale, but I love it, and the one thing I can tell about my Jag is that it has 'character'. It sounds like heaven clean, but I prefer Mosrites for a dirtier sound, not that the Jag can't hold with it. I have travelled with it by taking the neck off and stuffing everything in the suitcase. I have also modded pretty much everything on my MIJ and it's great.

I'm so glad there are so many people who feel exactly the same, so it's not just me! You guys rock, and together, we rock even harder with out +250 Jaguars!

I made a video of mine with SD Antiquties and without even knowing it, it got a lot of views. Then one day I stumbled on a thread on here about SD Antiquties where my video was posted and my playing was given compliments, I almost cried, not out of pride for myself, but for my Jaguar. I'm am only a 3rd of that sound, and probably the weakest link. Please check it out and notice the 'classic Jaguar quirk' that I wasn't even sure on which pickup I was on (happens a lot). I thought it was the bridge but it was the neck with the high-filter and I could hardly believe it for a second there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt7tghYcPUU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hydra19
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hydra19 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:30 pm

Thanks for this, I totally love my Jag, even though I had it on sale a few times as I don't play it much, but when I do, it feels so familiar and my playing is better. I had Mosrite gas so I have lots of those but my journey with the Jag is the best one. I've often told people it feels like my 11th finger.

I bought it without doing my homework about the short scale, but I love it, and the one thing I can tell about my Jag is that it has 'character'. It sounds like heaven clean, but I prefer Mosrites for a dirtier sound, not that the Jag can't hold with it. I have travelled with it by taking the neck off and stuffing everything in the suitcase. I have also modded pretty much everything on my MIJ and it's great.

I'm so glad there are so many people who feel exactly the same, so it's not just me! You guys rock, and together, we rock even harder with out +250 Jaguars!

I made a video of mine with SD Antiquties and without even knowing it, it got a lot of views. Then one day I stumbled on a thread on here about SD Antiquties where my video was posted and my playing was given compliments, I almost cried, not out of pride for myself, but for my Jaguar. I'm am only a 3rd of that sound, and probably the weakest link. Please check it out and notice the 'classic Jaguar quirk' that I wasn't even sure on which pickup I was on (happens a lot). I thought it was the bridge but it was the neck with the high-filter and I could hardly believe it for a second there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt7tghYcPUU

hexade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexade » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:11 pm

Man, I'm in the midst of my first Jaguar build and I can't wait to join the club. I got to play at a few shows where me (the bass player) and the guitar player (who owns the Jag) had to switch off instruments for a few songs. I loved how much more in control of the neck I felt than on my strat, which is what I had been playing almost exclusively, prior to that. I still like the strat for it's classic tone, but when I play my Jazzmaster I get inspired to write the music I hear in my head. Now, once this Jaguar is built those songs will be even easier to play, and I am sure I will come up with all kinds of ideas on it. I really can't wait, even though it is a fw more months before it will be completed!

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:45 am

I just had a discussion with one of my best friends that is also a gear nut about Jaguars. I have owned around 70 guitars. I am actually really embarrassed by this fact. I told him that I am done trying every guitar whim that hits me. Jags are home for me. I keep coming back to jags. I now own 4 jags and a 335. I have learned that the jag is MY GUITAR. I literally fight selling the 335 on a daily basis. I don't play it, but it is so far removed from a Jag that I hold onto it in case I want something completely different. I currently play in a band where I am 1 of 3 guitarists. I was playing a jazzmaster, but when I went back to jags for the billionth time, a bandmate commented on how much better it sat in the mix. I love Jazzmasters too and plan to get a cheapy VM to fill that role, but honestly I see why so many famous guitarists find their instrument and stay with it. If I want to collect guitars, it should just be jags, they are all I really care to play.

hexade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexade » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:15 am

Yeah, Gutter rock, I am kind of in a similar boat. I fight selling my strat all the time to afford other gear because I much prefer the Jazzmaster I have, and once this Jag is done, I will probably play that more than anything else. Like you, I gotta stop buying cool gear on impulse that I end up trying to flip a month or two later!