Post pics of the guitar that started it for you

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Caddy65
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Post pics of the guitar that started it for you

Post by Caddy65 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:10 am

The Ventures and Link Wray, etc. led me to buy this guitar right after HS graduation in 1965. The pic was taken the following fall at college. It is a 1965 Fender JM. I sold it about 8 or 10 years later when I needed money while raising four young sons alone. (covered in my intro post a few minutes ago).

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 060267 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 am

araT wrote:
Hoops wrote:Image
+1 a thousand times over
+1 on this!
Just another opinion

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 am

Caddy65 wrote:The Ventures and Link Wray, etc. led me to buy this guitar right after HS graduation in 1965. The pic was taken the following fall at college. It is a 1965 Fender JM. I sold it about 8 or 10 years later when I needed money while raising four young sons alone. (covered in my intro post a few minutes ago).

anyone whow what bass that is?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:12 am

I bought a old Jazzmaster and Jaguar because they were cheap.

However the first guitar I really desired was Matthew Ashman of Bow Wow Wow's White Falcon, pretty sure the desire sprung from seeing them live or on Riverside (art BBC2 program) not sure what came first. Of course I later learned it was a 70's model and there were nicer ones but still...who hasn't looked at thisand wanted that guitar?

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

dipgotts
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dipgotts » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:08 pm

I know not many of you care for him, but Mike Einziger with his sherwood green jazzmaster did it for me back in '04. ;D

loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loveinathens » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:23 am

My first good guitar was a lawsuit Mustang but I sold it after losing interest in guitar. When I started writing music for myself (as in learning guitar while I wrote), I got this cheap little thing from a local guitar store with money I had saved and a little extra from my grandmother. These are made in Korea and given a local brand name here. It sounded great but I didn't like the neck and the fretwork was baaaaad. It had a stupid logo that I sanded off as well. It wasn't the best guitar but I loved it because a lot of my favorite songs live were written on it. Sold it to some kid from a far-off province. Seems happier way happier with it than I was, so I'm happy it's in a loving home.

I sold it because I was trying to get a Jazzmaster. I didn't like the current blacktops and all the others were too expensive. They didn't have the VMJMs at the time. Eventually, I saw this on OSG:

After a lot of trades, I ended up with a fair amount of offsets, but none that I really connected with other than the red one that I liked but always felt "cheap". Still no JM.

I found a 1972 Mosrite that I got cheap and traded for a Fernandes JG85EV that I liked but wouldn't cooperate with the size of my hands and a Japanese Strat from 1972 that had the best neck I've ever played (heel truss, slab board, CBS headstock, slim C and a 9.5 radius?) but didn't sound right for my band or feel as comfortable as an offset.

Eventually, I worked out a deal with HNB for his Jazzblaster. Shipping killed me and instead of the terms I suggested, he was open to a trade instead (in exchange for the long wait, I think Chris got a hell of a deal if it's price we're talking about). At last, I have this:

I slapped my old Strat's neck on it and it became the best whole guitar I've played. It sounded amazing through my pedals and amp and I couldn't ask for anything more of this guitar. I might buy and sell other guitars in the future (I only have one other guitar left) but this is something I'll never part with.

ChaseTMP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChaseTMP » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Scratch Morris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scratch Morris » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:54 pm

ChaseTMP wrote:Image
Yeah! +1 to this! "You're Living All Over Me" is what got me interested in JMs. Just the first few seconds of "Kracked" and an obsession started.

AndyTran
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AndyTran » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Brain_Gallop wrote:
AndyTran wrote:^That's a Jazz bass body.
Hold up, that he turned into a jag? That is BANANANANANAS!?!
Yep! It's actually pretty ugly from other angles IMO.

honeyiscool
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by honeyiscool » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Some combination of MBV and Nirvana, I guess.

ChaseTMP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChaseTMP » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Scratch Morris wrote:
Yeah! +1 to this! "You're Living All Over Me" is what got me interested in JMs. Just the first few seconds of "Kracked" and an obsession started.
Dating myself here, but yeah; me too. I remember driving to Tower Records, with my friend, to buy Dinosaur jr.'s Bug and Soundgarden's Ultramega OK (both cassette tapes). We listened to a couple of minutes of Soundgarden's tape on the way home and were like "what is this metal shite?" We knew one of the Tower sales people and we exchanged Ultramega OK, for Dinosaur jr.'s Youre [sic] Living All Over Me. My friend and I, swapped tapes for a week. I got, Your Living All Over Me, first and was blown away. I know I was almost a year late to Your Living All Over Me, but it still made a huge impression. I had seen the above image (or one similar) in a zine somewhere, around 1987 and I hadn't started playing guitar yet, but knew an offset like J.'s, was in my future.

Ex Lion Tamer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ex Lion Tamer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:29 pm

shadowplay wrote:I bought a old Jazzmaster and Jaguar because they were cheap.

However the first guitar I really desired was Matthew Ashman of Bow Wow Wow's White Falcon, pretty sure the desire sprung from seeing them live or on Riverside (art BBC2 program) not sure what came first. Of course I later learned it was a 70's model and there were nicer ones but still...who hasn't looked at thisand wanted that guitar?

D
To tell you the truth, when I first saw that video when I was a kid, it wasn't the guitar I wanted, know what I mean!

Brain_Gallop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Brain_Gallop » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Oh young J, what a doll.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Brain_Gallop wrote:
noisepunk wrote:Image
Andrew Wilson from Die!Die!Die!- incidentally, my username came from this band too.

I mistakingly thought it was a jaguar, and after researching them pretty extensively I became obsessed and joined here not long afterword. Somehow my interested shifted to jazzmasters (which is where it should've been initially), and so I built one, and now it's easily my number one guitar (though I have a few others that don't fall too far behind).
Just checked out this band because of your post, they sound really cool. I like the guitar work.
I'm not as big a fan as I use to be, but their first two albums and EP are pretty great- when I discovered them, they completely blew my mind and I actually managed to see them live the last time they toured the US (four years ago or something like that) which blew my mind all over again. I need to look into the two albums they've done since.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Ex Lion Tamer wrote:
shadowplay wrote:I bought a old Jazzmaster and Jaguar because they were cheap.

D
To tell you the truth, when I first saw that video when I was a kid, it wasn't the guitar I wanted, know what I mean!
Yeah other items of desire are available. :D

It's a shame they are mainly known for Candy, their own songs are often better and The Strangeloves version is thee version IMO. Still it's three minutes of fun.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?