Post pics of the guitar that started it for you

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
itchybro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Post pics of the guitar that started it for you

Post by itchybro » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:21 pm

About a billion years ago.... There was a local genius named Terry Hill who was known as "Coltrane with a Mustang". Due to him I ran through a few of those. The years have informed me that the radius and bad nuts drove me from them more than any thing.. .

Then years later.... Some young upstarts from yonder side of town got me interested in in Jazzmasters and such... They flamed out but, before they did, they made some of the greatest music I've ever heard in my life. (and that includes ALL the music I've ever heard by the way)

Thankfully.... There are echoes of that noise rising from the ashes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgkoqQvkovs

And most of all recently... Our fellow member here rank has probably led my wallet the MOST astray... I'm trying HARD to re-pay the favor....

Fabio Taglioni

BBRRTT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BBRRTT » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:39 pm

raphaël wrote:For me it was this:

I was a U2 fan back in that time (it was a long time ago...), I was 10ish and fascinated by the ZooTv tour intro, I watched it over and over and over and...and Edge played "Zoo Station" on his yellow Les Paul.
So my first guitar was an Epiphone LP, and my second guitar was a Gibson LPC.
Then I discovered the Offsets and get rid of my LPC
I was about the same age and the first show I can remember going to was on the Zoo TV tour. I probably thought all shows were going to be as big and insane as that :D

I think it was probably the John Squire 'Jaguar' for me as well. I remember the 'Under the Bridge' one jumping out at me too, though I've never been much of a RHCP fan. It was only a few months ago I finally got a Jaguar and found, to my surprise, it actually had the sound I'd been wanting for years as well as the looks. I genuinely can't ever remember even seeing a Japanese one to try back in my younger days, they seemed almost like mythical beasts back then.
Last edited by BBRRTT on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

series-parallel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by series-parallel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:45 am

There wasn't a really a single guitar that started it for me. It was the sound of "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits (my first album was "Brothers in Arms", given to me for my 7th or 8th birthday). I wanted to make that sound!

I didn't really acquire any good brand/model awareness until after I had started playing already (I was required to pay my dues on a beginner-model Yamaha nylon string...which was actually a very nice guitar...for at least a year before my parents would get me an electric). For a little while, I thought Fender was just a pick manufacturer. For me, just about any electric guitar was the shit. I would've happily taken any of the budget models in the Sears and Jc Penney catalogs.

It was a combination of starting to buy guitar magazines, starting to frequent music stores more often, and my teacher bringing over his awesome late '70s Strat to my lesson one day that tuned me into makes and models. That's probably the best nominee for a specific guitar that gave me the bug. It looked just like this one:

wrath
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wrath » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:33 am

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:57 pm

Kurt Cobain's Jaguar was the first guitar that ever stuck with me along with The Boss's (Springsteen's) butterscotch Telecaster. I started playing guitar due to Cobain and never looked back. I'm not a grunge player though by any means. I'm really more of a folk jazz player (if that's a thing even LOL).
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:39 am

This was the first guitar that caught my eye (must have been about 9-10 years old):
Most other guitars on MTV around that time were of the pointy hair metal variety, and this just struck me as a masterpiece of taste and class. My first guitar (not counting my dad's ugly white strat copy with pointy headstock) was a Harmony Les Paul Custom copy.

The first offset that caught my eye was John Frusciante's jag in the "Under the Bridge" video (I was a huge Nirvana fan at the time, but for some reason I'd never paid much attention to Kurt's guitars). I really loved the guitar sound on that intro, and I imagined all that chrome had something to do with the shimmering sound he had (but I think it was actually a strat on the record?).

mr bungle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mr bungle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:44 am

For me it was this guy and his Jazz.

I then devoured all I could find regarding them. I remember cutting this guitar out from a Guitar World advert and laminating it to my high school folder.