Post pics of the guitar that started it for you

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
stig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Post pics of the guitar that started it for you

Post by stig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:11 pm

I have zero pictures of my own, but here's a Mustang exactly like the one that was my first name-brand (depending on your feelings towards Univox) in the late 70's:
My crappy music: www.soundcloud.com/aspirinhammer

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:32 am

I'm pretty certain it would've been this...

Along with this...

...and this...

You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:42 am

stig wrote:I have zero pictures of my own, but here's a Mustang exactly like the one that was my first name-brand (depending on your feelings towards Univox) in the late 70's:

That is a sexy Mustang! BEAUTIFUL. Looks like chocolate. :D
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

sholkham
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sholkham » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:23 am

I used to have a poster / CD's with this on it and it really stood out to me.

On other guitars that combo would be horrific but it sort of works on some
holodreck.bandcamp.com

stig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stig » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:48 am

HNB wrote:
stig wrote:I have zero pictures of my own, but here's a Mustang exactly like the one that was my first name-brand (depending on your feelings towards Univox) in the late 70's:

That is a sexy Mustang! BEAUTIFUL. Looks like chocolate.
Or Poo, depending on your perspective. It had a popped fret and the sound was kind of thin for punk. But I was 15 and didn't know shit about shit. But I traded it toward an SG, which I ruined trying to refinish it, and traded even for my Emerald Green 1968 Guild Starfire.
So all's well that ends well! (coming up on my 30th anniversary with that Guild!)
My crappy music: www.soundcloud.com/aspirinhammer

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:37 am

As lame as it seems now- this guitar was the first one that ever caught my attention in a serious way. Super theatrical goth-wankery aside, it was the first guitar I ever lusted after:

Kommunity FK's Mata with an EXII

Watched my VHS recording of it from '120 minutes' until the tape broke. Never did find any of their records to buy, but the guitarlust stayed with me, and is as yet unfulfilled. I still have never seen a XII in person, let alone played one.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:56 pm

for me, it must have been Keith Richards Les Paul Custom with this psychedelic graphic as seen in the rock'n'roll circus video:
…or "one plus one":
That's what lead me into guitar playing.

Into offsets I got (naturally) with Kurts Jaguar, but also the beautiful Starcaster of Johnny Greenwood:

…and the weird (back then) Hofners of Tocotronic:
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5008669/Toc ... _Verstehen

Then a friend of mine traded his shoes in Poland for a Jolana Galaxis, a yellow one with black pickguard and I was completely nuts for this guitar ever since. He gave it to me last year and I'm really enjoing this thing. Here's a pic of a black one:

joeybsyc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by joeybsyc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Owned dozens of Strats, never had any desire for an offset, never played one in my life... a new shop opened in my town and I went in to browse on the grand opening day, saw this hanging among the vintage guitars and fell in love. Bought it 3 days later, and have been an offset junkie ever since.

Check out my little collection at http://vintagefenders.weebly.com

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:58 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:I'm pretty certain it would've been this...

indeed, another reason for me, ... I discovered them - THIS ALBUM- when I was 15... and bought their entire back catalogue at Virgin or HMV when I visited London for the first time, aged 16 (back then their albums were not really available anywhere in central europe, that was before this thing called internet) ...

HolyVessel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HolyVessel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:23 pm

DerRoy wrote:
I_Only_Said wrote:
DerRoy wrote:What made me want to play guitar, and an offset at that, was basically the record covers of any early-90's surf-bands playing Jazzies and Jaguars.

Learnt how to play (or rather, how to make heavily reverberated noises ) on a borrowed Hoyer/Höfner/H<somethingorother> until I found this one:

Horrible action, dead bridge pickup, frets above the 7th practically worn to the fretboard. But hey, it was dirt-cheap, came with the original case, and I loved the sound.
A very comfortable guitar to play, too: The poplar-body is super-lightweight. I got so used to it that after a while I thought electric guitars were always this light.
More jag shaped then you would think at first glance, really cool guitar. How much did you get it for?
The shape of the body is practically dead on, and the scale is the same as the Jaguar. I got it for 70 Marks (with case), but that was 15 years ago.
What is this beautiful thing?

bdm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdm » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:06 pm

The first guitar that I ever really obsessed over.

After that J Mascis is to blame for any and all of my offset interest.
Last edited by bdm on Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brain_Gallop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Brain_Gallop » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:33 pm

noisepunk wrote:Image
Andrew Wilson from Die!Die!Die!- incidentally, my username came from this band too.

I mistakingly thought it was a jaguar, and after researching them pretty extensively I became obsessed and joined here not long afterword. Somehow my interested shifted to jazzmasters (which is where it should've been initially), and so I built one, and now it's easily my number one guitar (though I have a few others that don't fall too far behind).
Just checked out this band because of your post, they sound really cool. I like the guitar work.

Kai
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kai » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 pm

Gothjuice wrote:Rowland S Howard was the first guy I saw with what I thought was, at the time, a less, "normal", looking guitar.
Rowland was the first guitarist I noticed with an offset guitar. I'm sure I'd seen images of Sonic Youth and their guitars before, but it took footage of The Birthday Party playing live to really open my eyes. Rowland often did this thing where he would point the end of his Jaguar directly out in front of him like a gun and then flick the end of it up in time with the music. It was SO cool and worked perfectly with the Jaguar's shape.

However, I was only interested in Jaguars until I started watching 'K-On!' and realised there were more of these bizarre looking guitars.

Brain_Gallop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Brain_Gallop » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:14 am

joeybsyc wrote:Owned dozens of Strats, never had any desire for an offset, never played one in my life... a new shop opened in my town and I went in to browse on the grand opening day, saw this hanging among the vintage guitars and fell in love. Bought it 3 days later, and have been an offset junkie ever since.

A true love story :-*

jamrine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jamrine » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:09 am

My first electric was an Epi SG inspired by Ian. That's an awesome photo. Looks like it is in the earlier years. Repeater era?
bdm wrote:The first guitar that I ever really obsessed over.

After that J Mascis is to blame for any and all of my offset interest.