Fender to reissue the Starcaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender to reissue the Starcaster

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:04 pm

rank wrote:I was looking at the Bilt Volare, which is their take on the Starcaster, & it has a Jazzmaster trem on it & also appears to have a curved top. Does this mean that it will actually be possible to do this to one of the Starcaster reissues? I know this has been discussed to death on here & the general consensus seems to be "no" but after looking at the Bilt Volare I am beginning to wonder...
This is actually why I've been perusing through this thread!

Why would it be impossible? With the block going through the middle of the body I'd think you could route one in there the same way I'd originally planned to do with my Jaguar HH. Even if it was hollow, could you not get it in the hands of a decent luthier? I feel like it'd actually be easier if it was hollow because you'd just be cutting a hole as opposed to having to shape an exact route into a solid piece of wood.

I've hated on these for a while now, but at this point I REALLY REALLY want one, especially to put an offset trem into along with an AOM fitted Staytream.

It seems like it'd be impossible for someone on here to NOT have done this by now. Anybody tried at least? Dying to know!

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:18 pm

blake480 wrote:Bigsby and vibramate installed.

ImageImage

Installed super quick. Plays nice. Stays in tune so far. No issues. But it does lift off the body as you can see. The thing is ultra sturdy. So I see no issue. But not ideal. But it's not that bad looking actually. Next up all upgraded electronics. 500k pots. And lollar regals.
Oh, the contours make it hard, not the depth of the body *Homer Simpson thinking face*

I would totally compromise and go with a Bigsby though, especially if I could use a B7 - love that long tailpiece look.

You have a beautiful guitar there, by the way. I was all about the natural one but having that swoosh match is just killer.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:05 pm

I dont think a B7 will fit - too long.

The Vibramate and B5 are completely stable though.

One thing to note about these is that they are a little heavier than you might think. They are balanced well, but the one that I had was certainly heavier that an epi Dot or 335 and if you add the bigsby, it just gets heavier. I think I was at about 10 lbs with Bigsby and Vibramate installed.

bgalizio
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bgalizio » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:13 am

Apoligies for not reading the entire thread - but has anyone placed a Les Trem II on these Starcasters? The fit may be better than the vibramate/Bigsby.

JayMaster77
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JayMaster77 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:08 am

bgalizio wrote:Apoligies for not reading the entire thread - but has anyone placed a Les Trem II on these Starcasters? The fit may be better than the vibramate/Bigsby.
yup, I have - a Les Trem I in fact, but I imagine the II will also fit perfectly.

I have on YouTube a fairly old video I made when I received the Starcaster and straight after I dropped the Les Trem in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVTrPWafGn8

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:59 am

Les trem looks wicked omg

dreadpirateben
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dreadpirateben » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Pete wrote:Right got the aged cherry..bigsby installed....awaiting 4 aluminium original knobs for install..... il post a pic once the knobs arrive... spent ages trolling for a picture of the burst with bigsby and correct knobs. I'm sure someone will wanna see it before they do the same.

my question is to anyone who's upgraded the pick ups themselves....getting new pick ups is easy as buying, but where do you start with the wiring harness/pots. if not il take it to a repair agent, hate paying someone to do something potentially simple because of a lack of research. As far as i can see i need the following, anyone got any ideas of what to use?

1 pickups/ lollar or creamery
2 new pots/ 500k or 1 meg? i have no idea
3 do the selector and jack plate need replacing?
4 capacitors? yet again no idea

oh i presume some sort of wires will be involved lol
I just purchased a starcaster and am wondering the same. Really about the pots/capacitors, thanks!

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Wide rangers (the main tele models) are usually coupled with 1meg, 0.022uF caps. Completely personal preference though.
I think the reissues are 500k on the deluxe and 250k on the thinlines though these aren't the original pickups (though the RIs would be darker or middier, right, so i don't see the sense..).
I'd personally put 1megs in as when you combine pickups with the two volumes that resistance is slashed in two.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/ ... am-70s-jpg

Actually found the original schematic after typing half of this so I suppose that's the same answer.

Kadenray
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kadenray » Wed May 15, 2019 1:42 pm

I recently bought one of these, with plans to mod. No case of course, so I'm thinking either the Gator Es-335 case or the SKB Thin Body Semi-Hollow Case for it. In pictures it looks like the neck might not sit flat in the gator, and I'm concerned the SKB might not fit the headstock. If anyone has experience with either case, id love to hear about it.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Aw, I got excited for a split second before realising that this was bumped from 2015.

I was a poor student when these came out, but I'd be all over one now. Original spec or new spec, I'd buy either.