Your signature offset

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
clipman3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Your signature offset

Post by clipman3 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:43 pm

vastrange wrote:sometimes I can't believe I have the priviledge to play this JM stereordinary made for me...

ash top, alder back thinline body painted in a CFM on steroids color, super flamed maple neck and fretboard, 9,5 radius, medium jumbo frets, black MOP block inlays, black neck and body binding, bound f-hole, arm and belly contours, large CBS matching headstock, staytrem bridge, black ano 9 hole gaurd, novak WRHB and PAF, bone nut, treble bleed.
sounds unreal!
Wow! I don't normally like JM's, but THAT is a gorgeous guitar!

Elias78
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Elias78 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Here's my signature/dream guitar, made possible by Paul Rhoney Guitars (aka Stereordinary)

-Semi-hollow with full contours & bound f-hole
-Ebony b&b neck with custom ultra-thin profile
-TV Jones Powertron Plus bridge pickup and Magnatron neck pickup
-Straytrem mustang bridge and arm collet
-3-way pickup toggle, 3-way mustang switches, mute-switch
-Stained walnut finish

Here's how the ad would look like ;D (in the style of Elvis Costello Jazzmaster)

Scratch Morris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scratch Morris » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:22 am

This is a cool topic!

My signature offset: pretty much a stock 1960 Jazzmaster with a Mustang Bridge, in sunburst with a tort guard. Call me boring, but I think the original got so much right. I can't think of changing anything except the bridge (only out of my preference for .10 strings, not out of necessity). The stock lead/rhythm circuit and pot and capacitor values give me the tonal range that I use, standard JM pickups are just to die for, plus the smooth shimmer of the JM trem tailpiece is just perfect. And I guess the sunburst/tort combo is very typical, but honestly, just looks spot on to me.

Scratch Morris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scratch Morris » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:25 am

Elias78 wrote:Here's my signature/dream guitar, made possible by Paul Rhoney Guitars (aka Stereordinary)

-Stained walnut finish

Here's how the ad would look like (in the style of Elvis Costello Jazzmaster)

Gosh, that's a great looking guitar. Kudos!
How does it sound?

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:19 am

That lefty Jag with the B&B neck makes me smile every time I see it. :?

My signature offset would be my surf green Jag but with a D&B neck.

Elias78
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Elias78 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:57 am

Scratch Morris wrote:
Elias78 wrote:Here's my signature/dream guitar, made possible by Paul Rhoney Guitars (aka Stereordinary)

-Stained walnut finish

Here's how the ad would look like (in the style of Elvis Costello Jazzmaster)
Gosh, that's a great looking guitar. Kudos!
How does it sound?
Thanks, Scratch Morris and Tweedledee!
It sounds awesome! Not as trebly as a typical jag but more like a hot-rodded gretsch!
The bridge has enough power to achieve smooth distortion as well as crunchy overdrive with volume down. Split-coils and parallel settings are versatile and the neck pickup is super sweet with glass-like clarity! I highly recommend TV Jones Magnatrons for neck!

Tweedledee: Your surf green jag looks amazing and hypnotically soothing at the same time! :P What pickups are those?

empyrean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by empyrean » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:02 am

From Fender:

I'd just change the neck to a B+D vs the B+B, and it'd have to come standard with a staytrem bridge. ;)

Pretty much already built it already though.

Though I'd probably opt for something resembling an old 60s offbeat Teisco looking thing or something vs having a Fender model signature. The world doesn't need more Fender models available in different colours with duncans thrown in and someone's sig on the headstock.

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:29 am

Elias78 wrote: Thanks, Scratch Morris and Tweedledee!
It sounds awesome! Not as trebly as a typical jag but more like a hot-rodded gretsch!
The bridge has enough power to achieve smooth distortion as well as crunchy overdrive with volume down. Split-coils and parallel settings are versatile and the neck pickup is super sweet with glass-like clarity! I highly recommend TV Jones Magnatrons for neck!

Tweedledee: Your surf green jag looks amazing and hypnotically soothing at the same time! What pickups are those?
Those TV Jones pickups sound like a perfect match for that Jag. My other "signature offset" would be one that I've been turning over in my head for a long time now. I'm going to make it a reality at some point:

I think it will have to be a TV Jones Magnatron in the neck. ;D

The pickups in my Surf Green Jag are Seymour Duncans - SM-1N in the neck and SM-3B in the bridge. They're modeled after vintage Firebird pickups so they're not high output like most modern mini humbuckers. They sound fantastic!

Thanks for the compliment! :)

Elias78
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Elias78 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:18 am

Tweedledee wrote:
Elias78 wrote: Thanks, Scratch Morris and Tweedledee!

Tweedledee: Your surf green jag looks amazing and hypnotically soothing at the same time! What pickups are those?
Those TV Jones pickups sound like a perfect match for that Jag. My other "signature offset" would be one that I've been turning over in my head for a long time now. I'm going to make it a reality at some point:

I think it will have to be a TV Jones Magnatron in the neck.

The pickups in my Surf Green Jag are Seymour Duncans - SM-1N in the neck and SM-3B in the bridge. They're modeled after vintage Firebird pickups so they're not high output like most modern mini humbuckers. They sound fantastic!

Thanks for the compliment!
Ahh...those SD Firebird-style pickups sound interesting. Will Youtube for more samples (or if you have any clips, point em to me! LOL)
Thank you for the kind words too! YES, you have to get those Magnatrons if clarity and glass-like tone is what you're looking for! I've never really thought I could love the sound of a neck pickup but this blows me away! I'll try to get a demo/vid recording next time if time allows :) I hope to see your other signature jag come true! ;)

jamrine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jamrine » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:17 am

Mustang with:

-Basswood body
-Low-output lipstick pups
-Mustang Bridge
-Jazzmaster trem
-3-way switch
-One volume pot, no tone
-Klusons
-1-ply black guard on maybe IBM, Oly white, or some other lighter color
-Rosewood board

I really ought to have Nick build me one of these eventually. Right now I have a CIJ '69 Mustang with all the above except the trem. The pickguard is a badly-cut polycarbonate sprayed on the back side with black sparkle.

quarterpound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by quarterpound » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:07 pm

I thought my idea would be more original but now as the thread progresses, the 'trons are coming out in spades!

Mine would be an HSH Jaguar:

Neck:
- 9.5" radius, rosewood fretboard on maple neck, no tint, no birdseye, no flame. (would be cool if fender made a dark wood neck tho!) with vintage frets, bone nut w standard spacing
- personally my favorite neck profile is my own sanded down Warmoth "boatneck" contour, but whatever's the fattest Fender makes probably works for me
- clear gloss headstock, spaghetti logo
- Small diamond abalone inlays... or maybe no inlays, just side dots, I like that look too.
- Steinberger 30:1 tuners.

Body:
- light swamp ash, hunter green to black burst
- black 3-ply pickguard
- modified mustang bridge w AVRI trem

Electronics:
- tvjones powertron toaster in the neck
- 6k lipstick middle
- SD custom custom at the bridge w/chrome pickup ring
- 2 thumbwheels and 1 knob wired volume volume volume for each pickup
- last knob for full tone control
- switches to switch the SD between split/parallel/serial.

Lxarudy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Lxarudy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:18 pm

Can it be any offset if so I'd want
Starcaster
-one piece maple neck with bound maple fretboard and blocks inlays 9.5 radius like my tele
-either a fender wrhb Cunifi, lollar regal, or Curtis Novak wrhb in bridge and either a p90 or Jazzmaster antiquity I in the neck. I think a filtrton might be sweet in the Middle
-push pull knob to coil tap the humbucker
-Jazzmaster trem
-colors would be surf green burst, violet burst, or lime green burst with matching headstock swoosh
-the mint green pick guard that actually looks green and not white.

spilltray
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spilltray » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:47 pm

If I was going to have a "Signature Model", it would have to be based off my trusty Toronado.

Deluxe style Toronado
24.75" scale
Standard Fender C profile with rosewood fretboard
String through body
Chrome covered Seymour Duncan JB Humbuckers
Charcoal Frost Metallic with matching headstock
Black Anodized pickguard

Jaded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaded » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:12 am

Mine would have to be a Jaguar:

Neck:
- Regular 24" scale length
- 9.5" radius, medium jumbo frets.
- Dots & binding with a small Strat style headstock or blocks & binding with the oversized CBS headstock
- Dark rosewood fretboard
- Locking tuners
- LSR roller nut
- Jagstang neck profile
- Satin finish.

Body:
- Classic player style wiring channels (no more sticking wires through tiny holes when modding)!
- Vintage trem placement and AVRI trem and a Staytrem arm regardless of where it's made.
- Lightweight alder or something
- Thin Highway 1-ish style nitro in a 60's style target burst, Elvis Costello style "Marlin" burst and Burgundy Mist.
- Tort pickguard on all finishes.
- Black TOM on the bursts and gold on the Burgundy Mist.

Electronics:
- Set of Filtertrons or a Dimarzio 36th Anniversay in the neck and a Humbucker from Hell in the bridge... or a set of decent WRHB's
- 3-way toggle switch plate (like the Cobain Jaguar) and bass cut switch with a bigger cap or something to be more extreme.
- Rhythm switch used for phase switching, vol/tone rollers replaced with Mustang style on/off/on switches for series/split/parallel options for each pickup.
- Master vol/tone with the usual 1meg pots, maybe a TBX tone control and black witch hats.
Last edited by Jaded on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheOndrakGuy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TheOndrakGuy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:36 am

-Anti- wrote:Image

Mostly built. Though a B&B neck with matching headstock would complete it.
Looks very similar to my 'signature' offset.

I'm toying with the idea of a baritone neck though. I tend to run it through octave pedals more and more, using my JM for 'guitar' duties.
So yeah, mine would be as it is, just a 28" scale neck.

One day...
"It's not f**ked, the electronics are reliced!"