Re: Gold guard or tortoise shell ? (Lots of images)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.

Which one do you think looks the best ?

Gold anodized
48%
Tortoise shell
52%

Total votes: 23

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:39 pm

:?

whichever you choose, sell me the one you're not using!

they'd both fit neatly on my black JM, which now has an ugly allparts tortoise guard

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:18 am

Sorry, this is a bit off topic but...I've been wanting to swith my VERY red Jaguar tort guard for a brownish Fender AV reissue tort on my CIJ Jag and was wondering if I would have to
1) purchase new Fender AV switch/control plates as well so it could fit
OR
2) perhaps I could just get someone to trim it to fit if I supplied them with my current guard?
Also, would Angela be a good place to order from? Guitar Parts Resource maybe? (I'm in Canada by the way.)
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:28 am

seasick croc wrote: Actually, I'm surprised that a '65 guard and a new Japan guard both fit. I didn't think everything would line up on the body.
as many of the "old-timers" know, i´ve successfully replaced the guards on both my japanese jazzmasters with pre-cbs tort guards without having to redrill any holes, thanks to the fact that the celluloid guards shrink over time. since your guard is a 65 it might not be celluloid, but it seems those guards shrink too.

edit: i´m personally not too thrilled about the japanese goldguards (i have had two of them myself), so i´ll vote for tort.
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:36 am

What don't you like about them?
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:52 am

i guess the main reason is that they´re so thin. they just feel a bit flimsy and cheap to me.

offsetwaistbody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsetwaistbody » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:16 am

does the gold guard affect the sound of the guitar?

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:19 am

Well, I guess it will be tortoise!!! Thanks for your opinions!... Plus, my wife agrees with the majority of you!

I was lucky to get that 1965 tortoise guard on the Bay a couple of months ago... it had a low BIN and I was quick!
dinosaur wrote:
And don't forget to give it a good sound test as well.  The metal guard should really brighten the sound, which may or may not be desirable.
Thank you for the tip, I will sure try that before making a final decision!
mynameisjonas wrote:
since your guard is a 65 it might not be celluloid, but it seems those guards shrink too.
It definitely shrinks, and warps a little too. And I'm pretty sure that you are right about the fact that the shrinkage is the reason why it fits so well on CIJ JM's.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:22 am

it's mad...a vintage guard makes the look so complete...I wish I had a couple of spare totrtoiseshell guards for future use....

regarding the anodised guard affecting the sound of the guitar...the shielding is definetely better...some people claim the sound is more hi-fi
Resident Spartan.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:39 am

Soiouz wrote: Well, I guess it will be tortoise!!! Thanks for your opinions!... Plus, my wife agrees with the majority of you!

I was lucky to get that 1965 tortoise guard on the Bay a couple of months ago... it had a low BIN and I was quick!
dinosaur wrote:
And don't forget to give it a good sound test as well.  The metal guard should really brighten the sound, which may or may not be desirable.
Thank you for the tip, I will sure try that before making a final decision!
mynameisjonas wrote:
since your guard is a 65 it might not be celluloid, but it seems those guards shrink too.
It definitely shrinks, and warps a little too. And I'm pretty sure that you are right about the fact that the shrinkage is the reason why it fits so well on CIJ JM's.
any chance you'll sell the gold guard to me?

shielding on the allparts tortoise guard is absent (which is egregious (found that in the dictionary!  ;) ) in my opinion) and I've been to lazy to do something about it so the gold guard would be a nice solution to that problem aswell.

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:47 am

Sauerkraut wrote:

shielding on the allparts tortoise guard is absent (which is egregious (found that in the dictionary!  ;) ) in my opinion) and I've been to lazy to do something about it so the gold guard would be a nice solution to that problem aswell.

I might sell the gold guard, yes. But I'm waiting to get my amp back from the shop (tube change and general check-up) to test the Jazzmaster plugged in with the anodized guard.  My final decision will come in a week and, if I do sell it back, you'll be the first to know. Promised!

As far as shielding, I bought a shielding plate from Guitar Parts Resource to fit my tortoise guard on the CIJ.    It's not a hassle at all, and it fits fairly well.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:16 am

Soiouz wrote:
Sauerkraut wrote:

I might sell the gold guard, yes. But I'm waiting to get my amp back from the shop (tube change and general check-up) to test the Jazzmaster plugged in with the anodized guard.  My final decision will come in a week and, if I do sell it back, you'll be the first to know. Promised!

As far as shielding, I bought a shielding plate from Guitar Parts Resource to fit my tortoise guard on the CIJ.    It's not a hassle at all, and it fits fairly well.
thanks!

I'd choose the tortoise guard for looks by the way, you're very lucky to have such a beautiful 60's guard so you'd better use it.  :)

NickH
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickH » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:39 am

I suggest the diplomatice route. Get another Jazzmaster :P and use both.

n.

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:06 am

My personal experience with the sound change is that the gold guard makes a noticable difference in the brightness of the guitar.  It was pretty easy to tell unplugged.  And my current gold guard 59 is the brightest I have by far.  Might just be in my head though.

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:15 am

dinosaur wrote: My personal experience with the sound change is that the gold guard makes a noticable difference in the brightness of the guitar.  It was pretty easy to tell unplugged.  And my current gold guard 59 is the brightest I have by far.  Might just be in my head though.

It's probably NOT just in your head!  I already noticed that the guitar resonates more unplugged... I just can't wait to try it plugged in my amp, though!

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:27 pm

Bit late maybe but I voted for tortoise, imo it looks better on sunburst (where the brass guard is maybe more suited for opaque colours). Having a nice 1965 plate helps of course 8) I also prefer the look of my '63 plate to the newer ones.