Maybe the coolest guitar I've ever built (more NAMM recap)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Maybe the coolest guitar I've ever built (more NAMM reca

Post by smalahove » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:21 am

Cool guitar. Love the headstock logo remix :-)

saxjag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by saxjag » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:38 am

Doug, the ring surrounds for the knobs & switch are awesome. May we have a closer look, please?

& your new lightning logo is terrific; IMHO you should use it on everything from now on.

dougk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dougk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:31 pm

smalahove wrote:Cool guitar. Love the headstock logo remix :-)
saxjag wrote:Doug, the ring surrounds for the knobs & switch are awesome. May we have a closer look, please?

& your new lightning logo is terrific; IMHO you should use it on everything from now on.
thanks guys!! The logo is only going to go on very special projects. I'm partial to our normal KAUER (it's a steam engine. K is the cab, R is the cattle guard).

I thought I had a good picture of the rings but I'll be damned if I can find it. I'll have to snap some later.

Subgenius
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subgenius » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:04 pm

I just wish I could afford your guitars. One day maybe. One day. :?

starmaster
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by starmaster » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:42 am

dougk wrote:
saxjag wrote:Doug, the ring surrounds for the knobs & switch are awesome. May we have a closer look, please?

thanks guys!! The logo is only going to go on very special projects. I'm partial to our normal KAUER (it's a steam engine. K is the cab, R is the cattle guard).

I thought I had a good picture of the rings but I'll be damned if I can find it. I'll have to snap some later.
Hey Doug! This guitar is really beautiful... love the color scheme and design...

I have to say, though, and I hate to be 'that guy', but I have a bit of a gripe. I was checking my instagram a bit ago, and noticed my close friend, Cameron Thorne, had updated his account with a picture of a logo (http://instagram.com/cameronthorne/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) he had done recently. Much to my surprise, it was your logo! My first reaction was to text my buddy, mention you were on the forum, and tell him how cool it was that he designed the logo for this guitar!

Then, I went back to seek out the thread that had the guitar... and that logo more specifically, so I could link it to him. It was only then that I realized your credit to the logo went directly to you, mentioning it was something you ..."designed in conjunction with a friend"... So I assumed you and Cameron must have known each other, and I asked him what it was like working with you!

It wasn't until Cameron saw the thread that he made it clear to me how much work he put into this logo, and specifically, how he made this logo for Mason Stoops, with very little input beyond the standard client/creator relationship.

So, of course, the picture became clear, and I started to feel pretty bad for Cameron. The thing that really got to me, Dave - you have so much credit to take already for these beautiful instruments. Great design, great choice of hardware, unique finishes,etc... Why would you need to go and take credit for this?

I don't post here often. Most of my time is spent fawning over the incredible builds, and purchases everyone displays on the forum. I come here for the insight that builders like you, and Rhoney have to offer... I come to see the different opinions people display, respectfully, unlike 99% of the rest of the internet. I had a very high opinion of you, and even though I highly disagreed with some of your explanations of price in your long q/a post... I still respected your transparency, and believed you to be a straight shooter.

Cameron has done about 99% of all of the graphic design used by either me, or my band in the last 5 years. He is great... talented, easy to work with, respectful, and willing to do anything to help someone out. This casual omission of credit, to me, is extremely disrespectful. It isn't as though he created a great deal of designs for you, and you accidentally forgot to mention one of them... its that he designed a single logo, and no credit was given... beyond that, though... credit was stolen.

So what I say is this - give credit where its due. It would go a long way - especially giving credit to a designer trying to get his name/work out into the world... and if you plan on using the logo in the future on "very special projects" ? Might be best to negotiate with the designer.

I'd like to say that I hope you don't take any disrespect by the way I approached this, in a public forum, but I do believe claiming the creative work of others as your own is a terrible thing.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:47 am

GUITAR NERD FORUM DRAMA!

sjperry54
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sjperry54 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:59 am

This could have, and should have, been brought up in a private message way before it was ever posted on the open forum. Sullying someone's reputation before you have both sides of the story is never a good thing.

starmaster wrote:
dougk wrote:

Hey Doug! This guitar is really beautiful... love the color scheme and design...

I have to say, though, and I hate to be 'that guy', but I have a bit of a gripe. I was checking my instagram a bit ago, and noticed my close friend, Cameron Thorne, had updated his account with a picture of a logo (http://instagram.com/cameronthorne/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) he had done recently. Much to my surprise, it was your logo! My first reaction was to text my buddy, mention you were on the forum, and tell him how cool it was that he designed the logo for this guitar!

Then, I went back to seek out the thread that had the guitar... and that logo more specifically, so I could link it to him. It was only then that I realized your credit to the logo went directly to you, mentioning it was something you ..."designed in conjunction with a friend"... So I assumed you and Cameron must have known each other, and I asked him what it was like working with you!

It wasn't until Cameron saw the thread that he made it clear to me how much work he put into this logo, and specifically, how he made this logo for Mason Stoops, with very little input beyond the standard client/creator relationship.

So, of course, the picture became clear, and I started to feel pretty bad for Cameron. The thing that really got to me, Dave - you have so much credit to take already for these beautiful instruments. Great design, great choice of hardware, unique finishes,etc... Why would you need to go and take credit for this?

I don't post here often. Most of my time is spent fawning over the incredible builds, and purchases everyone displays on the forum. I come here for the insight that builders like you, and Rhoney have to offer... I come to see the different opinions people display, respectfully, unlike 99% of the rest of the internet. I had a very high opinion of you, and even though I highly disagreed with some of your explanations of price in your long q/a post... I still respected your transparency, and believed you to be a straight shooter.

Cameron has done about 99% of all of the graphic design used by either me, or my band in the last 5 years. He is great... talented, easy to work with, respectful, and willing to do anything to help someone out. This casual omission of credit, to me, is extremely disrespectful. It isn't as though he created a great deal of designs for you, and you accidentally forgot to mention one of them... its that he designed a single logo, and no credit was given... beyond that, though... credit was stolen.

So what I say is this - give credit where its due. It would go a long way - especially giving credit to a designer trying to get his name/work out into the world... and if you plan on using the logo in the future on "very special projects" ? Might be best to negotiate with the designer.

I'd like to say that I hope you don't take any disrespect by the way I approached this, in a public forum, but I do believe claiming the creative work of others as your own is a terrible thing.

dougk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dougk » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

starmaster wrote: So what I say is this - give credit where its due. It would go a long way - especially giving credit to a designer trying to get his name/work out into the world... and if you plan on using the logo in the future on "very special projects" ? Might be best to negotiate with the designer.

First, it's a little hard not to take disrespect over this, you could have easily PM'd me and I would have happily updated my post with the omission or clarified it.

That was purely a slip on my part and was in no way trying to take credit for the design of the logo other than simply my part in physically making it. It was mostly Mason and Cameron but it went on for 2 months of revisions between all three of us.

I already talked to Cameron and he knew that there was no harm, credit stealing or malintent and that if I could have remembered his website when I was making this post I would have posted it.

SO go visit http://cameronthorne.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and drop him a line. He's a good cat.

(edit: and my name is Doug btw, not Dave. Just like my screen name ;) )

(and no, we won't be using this logo on other models and Cameron DID get paid for his work and he knew it was going on two guitars, this and Mason's "supronaut".).

owen.c
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by owen.c » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:23 am

this guitar is definitely gorgeous. I'd love to see some nerdy switching like the eko, but I am aware I'm in the minority for big banks of rocker switches.

starmaster
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by starmaster » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:52 am

dougk wrote:
starmaster wrote: So what I say is this - give credit where its due. It would go a long way - especially giving credit to a designer trying to get his name/work out into the world... and if you plan on using the logo in the future on "very special projects" ? Might be best to negotiate with the designer.

First, it's a little hard not to take disrespect over this, you could have easily PM'd me and I would have happily updated my post with the omission or clarified it.

That was purely a slip on my part and was in no way trying to take credit for the design of the logo other than simply my part in physically making it. It was mostly Mason and Cameron but it went on for 2 months of revisions between all three of us.

I already talked to Cameron and he knew that there was no harm, credit stealing or malintent and that if I could have remembered his website when I was making this post I would have posted it.

SO go visit http://cameronthorne.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and drop him a line. He's a good cat.

(edit: and my name is Doug btw, not Dave. Just like my screen name )

(and no, we won't be using this logo on other models and Cameron DID get paid for his work and he knew it was going on two guitars, this and Mason's "supronaut".).
Thank you for correcting the error - maybe good to edit the initial post as well!

I apologize for calling you Dave once in the post - as you can see, by the second word of my post... I know your name ;), and don't know if it was worth mentioning in an edit to your response. Also, I'll admit, this would have been better as a PM - and I apologize for making this public - but in my heart it already felt public at the point credit was assigned to the wrong individual.

All in all, I am grateful you reached out to Cameron. He is a 'cool cat' as you stated, and deserves mention, at the very least for the things he has personally done- and while I do feel compelled to respond to some of the detail in your response, I'm sure it wouldn't lead anywhere productive.

dougk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dougk » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:11 pm

starmaster wrote: I apologize for calling you Dave once in the post - as you can see, by the second word of my post... I know your name ,
See how easy it is to make a simple mistake on the internet and then be called out for it?

Apology accepted.

starmaster
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by starmaster » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:15 pm

dougk wrote:
starmaster wrote: I apologize for calling you Dave once in the post - as you can see, by the second word of my post... I know your name ,
See how easy it is to make a simple mistake on the internet and then be called out for it?

Apology accepted.

Really buddy? You're kidding when you cross reference the two, aren't you? You can't honestly compare taking credit for someone else's work on the same level as calling someone else the wrong name..? OR is that really what just happened hahahaha

dougk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dougk » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:42 pm

starmaster wrote: Really buddy? You're kidding when you cross reference the two, aren't you? You can't honestly compare taking credit for someone else's work on the same level as calling someone else the wrong name..? OR is that really what just happened hahahaha
I'm busting your balls Casey.

Plus again, I never intentionally stole credit for anything. You can keep picking at this scab but honestly it was Cameron who sent me a text apologizing for your first post. I hadn't seen it till then. So obviously, he and I are just fine.

starmaster
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by starmaster » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:52 pm

dougk wrote:
starmaster wrote: Really buddy? You're kidding when you cross reference the two, aren't you? You can't honestly compare taking credit for someone else's work on the same level as calling someone else the wrong name..? OR is that really what just happened hahahaha
I'm busting your balls Casey.

Plus again, I never intentionally stole credit for anything. You can keep picking at this scab but honestly it was Cameron who sent me a text apologizing for your first post. I hadn't seen it till then. So obviously, he and I are just fine.
Indeed, I know the last thing Cameron would want here is confrontation, and I commend you for being so gracious as to give him the credit.

Bringing in the subject of personal relationships here, is a pretty slippery slope... Again - I am just glad that instead of maintaining the work as your own, that credit was given where it was due.

therizzla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by therizzla » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:02 pm

Beautiful guitar as usual, Doug! The workshop you and Paul share must be the luthier equivalent of Wonka's chocolate factory!
reverb.