has anyone costed out the various XII clone projects yet?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: has anyone costed out the various XII clone projects yet?

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:59 am

I'm not so bothered about the cost-effectiveness of things .. but if I had a XII I would probably get some bridges/plates done, just for the exercise of doing it. I agree with you Marc that it is unlikely to be cheap doing it that way.

I had a chat with my cousin a few days back .. he races old cars that no one makes parts for so he often has to get bits specially made .. he has plenty of contacts for that but all in Oz unfortunately .. anyway it just sounds like a fun thing to do sometime, so it's in my massive list of "cool projects on the back burner" somewhere!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Mr M
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr M » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:01 am

i'm sorry if i seem in a hurry guys. i know this will take a few months to complete. I'm hoping I get it by My Birthday, Feb. 1st!

I already have my Villager Neck that i'm getting Aug to modify. and a NOS control plate. I know Aug could get the body done in just few days, i just have to order the wood and get it shipped to him.

I know what ever i do to get a bridge, it's going to be costly. I trying to think of the cheapest way to get this done...

I went into this project without the research i should have done. I should have allready known that the pickups and the bridge would be a pain the the ass to get a hold of. But now that i have the neck and the NOS Plate i'm totally committed.

I'm thinking after everthing is payed for it will cost about $1000 maybe a little bit more
Last edited by Mr M on Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:37 am

It'll be interesting to see the final budget!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Mr M
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr M » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:42 am

mezcalhead wrote: It'll be interesting to see the final budget!
yeah right now i'm up to $195 with just 2 parts... but i'm selling the Body that came with the Villager Neck on ebay right now. so that should take the cost down a bit

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:51 am

Isn't the Villager neck going to be pretty stubby when you get rid of the butt-end curve?
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Mr M
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr M » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:56 am

mjet260 wrote: Isn't the Villager neck going to be pretty stubby when you get rid of the butt-end curve?
yeah it's 20 frets on the neck but we are making the body around the neck so it's not going to be that bad