Offsets I've Owned.... 157 Pics!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Offsets I've Owned.... 157 Pics!

Post by fullerplast » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:59 am

Here's a link to an album Jay made for me, of most of the Offsets I've owned over the years. There's 157 pics of Jags, JMs, XIIs, Mustangs, MM/Duo... and a lone Bronco.

Enjoy!

http://www.offsetguitars.com/personal/d ... /index.htm

I'll be uploading closeup pics of practically every part (uninstalled) on an offset very soon, in a separate album. I may move the body and neck pics out of this album at that time. If you want/need closeups of pickups, bridges, pickguards, tuners, etc.... this will be a great resource! So check back often!

:)

EDITED to add: Some of these offsets now belong to fellow forumites...
Last edited by fullerplast on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Offsets I've Owned.... (finally went through my hard drive)

Post by zhivago » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:00 am

fantastic link!

thank you very much!!!!

8)
Resident Spartan.

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:32 am

Thanks!  Some great pics there.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:40 am

Thanks! It was a real pain to go through a couple of hundred folders and pull them all out. Since they were from different folders, many of them had the same name, such as DSCF0001 or ebay4... etc. So I had to randomly rename them. Then once they were all in the same folder, I had to rename them again to get rid of the random names like 'adfaefuau.jpg'.  Plus I noticed at least one duplicate photo in there.

so that's how they ended up not being grouped correctly, ie. the front of a guitar being 15 photos apart from the back. I'm going to try to organize them a little better. And make a new folder dedicated strictly to parts.

Most of these pics were the ebay photos I sold them with. I lost about as many again when I changed computers in '04 and some of them didn't make the transition, for some reason. I think I loaded the folders one at a time back onto my camera and then into the new computer... I'm no whiz, that's for sure.
Last edited by fullerplast on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

scottme
Expat
Expat

Re: Offsets I've Owned.... NEW and IMPROVED! 157 Pics!

Post by scottme » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:20 pm

Nice set Doug.

Thanks for the effort.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Offsets I've Owned.... NEW and IMPROVED! 157 Pics!

Post by fullerplast » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:41 pm

You're welcome, Scott!

:)
Q. Are we not men?

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Re: Offsets I've Owned.... 157 Pics!

Post by sookwinder » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:11 pm

First photo ..... my Fiesta Red AV Jaguar    (which Doug sold to me)  beautiful looking, playing, sounding guitar. :)
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:37 pm

Quite the nice collection of offsets you've owned, Mr. Plast.
You're pretty much an offset pimp, correct?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:05 pm

First photo ..... my Fiesta Red AV Jaguar    (which Doug sold to me)  beautiful looking, playing, sounding guitar.

That is one very fine AV! I gather that Fiesta was not very popular on the AV. But it couldn't be more beautiful! Fiesta was VERY popular in the 90s, almost THE definitive custom color. It seems it fell out of favor for the IBMs and OTMs in the 2000s.

David, I don't remember the year of that AV, do you know? I'll bet it's relatively early 2000s.
You're pretty much an offset pimp, correct?
Well, I was...  I sure was. But I dealt in other Fenders too. It's kind of sad to me, in a way. I had all of those pass through my hands, and didn't end up with any in the long run.  I mean, it was my choice, but still.  I guess I thought the (relatively) cheap and plentiful offset woul dbe around forver.    :(

That's the main reason I'm so happy with my 'new'  '58!  I'm not foolish enough to say I'll keep it forever, but I'm certainly thrilled with it for the time being!      :)

Q. Are we not men?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:27 pm

I could almost tell a little story about ALL of those. Not all of the stories are happy though. One of the (many) black JMs, this '62:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/personal/d ... ges/98.htm

I sold for the "high" (at the time) price of $1600. I priced it high with a Buy it Now to discourage the scavengers who were tearing them up. It sold in about 10 minutes, I shipped it immediately, then saw the case and the neck on the bay about a week later. Sure enough, more and more of it started showing up in pieces at a time. I snapped some of it back up. I would have liked to have saved all of it, but it would have cost me much more than what I sold it for.  I hadn't priced it high enough after all.

Another one, the Sherwood Green AV Jag:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/personal/d ... ges/84.htm

I bought it off an FDP'er who scored it in a local store for an amazingly low price. The store didn't see a "Made In USA" on it, so they thought it was MIM. Never mind, there was never a MIM Jaguar... and the AVs don't have a "Made in..." because the originals didn't. So he gets it for like $450! And then he sells it to me for $650. He needed the money, and was not a greedy person. I liked it, but was more into vintage, so I bought it to flip it. I didn't want to be greedy either, so I put it on the bay with a Buy It Now of $850. So me and the FDP'er each stand to make $200 on it before fees. We each pass on a good deal and everybody wins, right?

The buyer gets it, and just picks it all apart... this isn't right, there's a little scratch here, this was loose, etc. He gave a big sob story about being a student and that was all his money, been saving up for years, etc.  I asked him if he would be happy with a $100 refund. I mean, the price was already low to begin with! It was a $1300 guitar! So he takes it... and gets a basically new AV for $750.

A couple of weeks later I see it on the bay with a Buy It Now of $999!!!! And what's more... the SOB is using my photos and description!!!! I gave him a hard time via email and he did change the photos and part of the description. But still!

There's some pleasant stories also... but I've rambled on enough!
Q. Are we not men?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:46 pm

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that.
I'm hesitant to ever sell a guitar on ebay, especially if I cared about it or had some sort of sentimental value, even if I really, really needed the money. I'm sure there are some people on here that wouldn't mind buying guitars from other members and holding it for them untill they have enough money to buy it back when things work out better for them, if they were in need of money.
Those who part out guitars make me cringe, but I'm sure a few of us here have benefitted from those sellers when in need of era-correct parts.
Still pretty sucky.

You seem to be a pretty good guy and you treat guitars as if they were your children going away to college or something. :)

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:56 pm

Hehe. Thanks for the kind words. That's why I probably could never had made it as a businessman!

It's bad to fall in love with the merchandise.

;)

For what it's worth, I've parted out guitars. One with a bad flaw or a body hacked up for HBs can go a long way towards straightening out another guitar with potential. I've taken what I needed and sold the remains for profit, sure. I wouldn't be as quick to do it nowadays though, as the supply is drying up.

I don't want to come off as self-righteous. That black '62 just burned me up because I put alot of time into restoring it... only to see it re-gutted. If profit was the ONLY thing... I never would have bothered. I spent money tracking down the right pots (or tuners... whatever), when I could have easily scavenged it and made more than the I did on the sale.
Q. Are we not men?