Re: My 65 Jag and Pro Reverb

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
painted wood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by painted wood » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:19 pm

I wouldn't change a damn thing.  It will lower the value.  It doesn't need a thing done to it.  You already tested it.  I imagine you'd only play it 30 minutes at a time at the most.

I have a '60 pro, and a '66 vibrochamp that still have the original filter caps and the tone is badass.  I think New filter caps devalue the amp and change the tone slightly.  When a vintage amp's components age, they all age together and I believe this sweetens the tone.

That's what I'd do.  You do what you want. :D

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:04 am

+1 on the CLAP CLAP CLAP!

and on the caps: i'd rather "de-value" my plexi and super reverb by having the caps replaced than de-valuing them for good  ;)
but then again, they're no museum pieces.
Nobody exists on purpose.

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:33 pm

fuzz-king, hat the hell is that guy in your avatar doing?
i know, he is fonding himself thinking about his new Jazzmaster... ::)
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

GUITARmole
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GUITARmole » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:32 pm

1946dodge wrote:
In fact, any caps that carry high voltage on them (over 100 volts) should be replaced. And if you want to do it up right, replace them with beautiful orange drops.
If this were my amp, I would put the absolute best components in it, especially the caps.
This way, the thing will last at least another 40 years.

If you do that to your old amp send me the original blue tone caps...OK?  :D  I'll even send you some beautiful orange drops in exchange!

(FWIW, I like the sound of orange drops but there's no reason to change out original tone caps)

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Ain't it a bitch that you scored the deal of a lifetime, and now you're stuck wit this conundrum?  :(

I'd definitely take the amp to a qualified amp tech, who is familiar with vintage stuff.  Just have him/her give it a once over, and check all the caps and tubes.  If they think you need caps or tubes, do it up.  IMO, of course.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:17 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:Ain't it a bitch that you scored the deal of a lifetime, and now you're stuck wit this conundrum?  :(
I need more conundrums like this! ;)
Bigger in sum than parts.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:56 am

Me  too!  ;D

BTW, I didn't realize I misspelled with!  I spelled it wit.. ::)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

MikeMaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MikeMaster » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:23 am

Well I am going to turn that amp back on today and crank it up to 10 and listen to the real Fender sound before it blows up. :D
MikeMaster

mrweems
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mrweems » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:04 am

dear god this is beautiful.

MikeMaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MikeMaster » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:47 am

So this makes me think I should just leave this amp alone.  If you read the description he is bragging about the original components and this guy is a pro seller.  He just sold a brand new, in the box 67 Bandmaster for almost $5K.  I will be curious to see what he gets for this one.

To quote him:

It is near impossible to find a vintage Fender amp this clean and still 100% ALL ORIGINAL with no changed components whatsoever.
FIND ANOTHER ONE!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1965-FENDER ... dZViewItem
MikeMaster

spaceghost
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spaceghost » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:10 am

geez, does the guy have any vintage stuff for sale?

--

as for the amp, i'd play it.

GUITARmole
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GUITARmole » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:23 pm

I just don't understand the thrill of having an amp with original filter caps in it that are 40 years old...???

My Bandmaster head I just bought was uglier than hell (it had been retolexed with black western vinyl and the grillcloth had been replaced with some horrible 80's black grillcloth) but was electronically all original except for the bias capacitor that had been changed at one point.  When I looked under the cap can I was surprised to find the filter caps had never been changed...some were bubbling and they were all on their last legs.

My point is, I could have recovered it and had an all original (in appearance and electronics) museum piece or replace the caps and actually play the amp.  I chose the latter since the only reason I bought the amp in the first place was to gig with it and/or record!!

Maybe I'm way off base here...but I think if you have an amp with all original components (speakers, pots, resistors, diodes, tone caps, knobs, chassis, etc) but the filter caps have been replaced it doesn't really lower the value much if at all.  Is a mint '55 T-bird worthless because the water pump has been replaced, the brake pads are semi-metallic, and it doesn't have the original bias ply tires?  I don't think so but your opinion might differ.

Also, with the case of that pro linked to above...don't underestimate the "power" of fresh tolex!  If you look closely at that amp you can tell it's been played (see the dirt around/under the edge of the knobs and the minor face/back plate wear).  I also suspect it has been recovered...why? ...look at the tolex that the reverb bag is made out of as compared to the rest of the amp:

Here's my....ummm..."mint" Bandmaster...(now that it's been recovered):

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:07 pm

An amplifier is not a guitar. An amplifier, particularly a tube one is not meant to run forever in its original state. after all, tubes are changed when they wear out, otherwise the amp will not work anymore.
Capacitors are like tubes, they wear out and need replacing and so do pots and even resistors. But you dont have to replace the whole amp!
Some caps "sound" different from others because a capacitor is not an ideal capacitor, they all have some resistance and some inductance and therefore form an RLC circut which has a particular frequency response which colors the sound. Worse, the values of the resistance, capacitance and inductance for a given cap may even change wiith frequency.
So one could try to find a cap that has the same R,L,C as the original, (if that can be ever measured, since originals are old now and the values have changed) or one can just say the hell with it, try one or two different types and play the damn amp to see if there is a difference.
Playing an amp with old parts is like playing a guitar with old brittle dead strings.
The amp may sound good at first, but after a while the sound will degrade in a way you cannot predict.
The circuit design that the engineers came up with in the first place for any amp is the important thing, not the components, which are chosen to realise the circuit.

I would rebuild as much of an old amp that I could.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

MikeMaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MikeMaster » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:02 pm

I am selling this set. What should I ask for the pair. I would prefer not to break up the set.

This was the original post 12 years ago.
MikeMaster wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:05 am
By way of background, this started in the Ebay area where an astute forumite saw a dubious listing.  His topic was "This maybe Legitimate But..."

I made the following confession:

OK I need to fess up on this.  I was the buyer and it was a 65 mint Jag with a 65 Pro Reverb from the original owner.  The daughter and wife had the guitar listed for the 79 year old owner and I spoke with them on a number of occasions over a two week period.  During the conversation, I asked if there was an amp purchased by the father and a few days later they called and said they had a Pro Reverb  and he had both bought from the same catalog (which by the way this catalog was included with the sale).  It was a 65 Fender guitar and amp catalog.

So we negotiated a "fair" price for both items and they needed to kill their old listing and make it a Buy it Now which they couldnt because they had no rating on ebay.  So I spent an hour on the phone trying to get the eBay listing to BIN and figured out the problem.  In the end we came up with a listing with no pictures and a price that no one would agree to and a pick up only.  They wanted to sell it to me.  Because in 1965 I also purchased a shiny new Jag except I bought a Princeton amp not a Pro Reverb.

So I am the owner of this 65 set up from the original owner with the original 65 catalog.  Yes I know it is a little bit scary to buy the amp unseen, but after seeing the detailed picture of the guitar and case which are not collector grade but rather museum grade, i decided to take a shot.  These were a couple of older women involved and were not Ebay pros either.  I think they are very honest people.

So it is shipping today and i will post pictures of the pair when they arrive.  This guitar has not been played in 30 years and looks it.  The case is drop dead mint.

If you are interested the complete thread is:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/ind ... pic=9245.0

So I promised some picture of this what I would call "Museum Quality" 65 Jaguar and 65 Pro Reverb purchased by the same person in the same music store in 1965.

Bothe outside and inside of the case and amp are absolutely mint condition.

Just as nice opened up

It sounds as good as it looks.  I bought this sight unseen not even a photo.

Absolutely nothing changed not even the tubes.

Only the Schematic was in the envelope.

I got the catalog from which it was purchased with the prices written in by hand.  (The Jag was $449 and the Pro was $399)

The Jag manual is a Repro every thing else is from 65

I bought a 65 Jag in 65 and I quite honestly don't think it was nicer than this 42+ year old

So this ends the mystery of the wierd Ebay auction.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:48 pm

Did you change the filter caps? Any bias caps? Replace the tubes?

And what about Naomi?