Squier unveils The Cribs signature

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier unveils The Cribs signature

Post by smalahove » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:19 am

Jan Deal wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:04 am
Nickaldous26 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:40 am
Just got my musuar, and I have a few questions.

1) was your humbucker on a diagonal angle or is that just a sign of wear? (I just screwed it back into place so it’s fine but just wondering)

2) what is the switch on the right of the guitar all about?! Is it meant to just cut all the sound or do I need to get mine looked at?

3) didn’t come with a trem arm but I already have a couple so would they just fit in and work normally or shall I ask for the actual trem arm?

Also mine has two string trees.
1) Mine is straight.
2) It's a kill switch, so it sounds like it is doing exactly what it's meant to do! :)
3) It is a screw-in type.
^this^

Afaics, the trem system is a Fender JM trem, so it should work with trem arms from those.

Mine has two string trees as well.

Nickaldous26
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Nickaldous26 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:41 am

Thanks so much, I play a pawn shop mustang special so compared to that, the wiring is really different so I just wanted to check!

I have a Squier VM jazzmaster so will the arm from that work?

FIREBOT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FIREBOT » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Three years in I’m still rocking the Cribs bass. It is one of my favorites! I think these basses are rarer than the guitars are...

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:33 am

FIREBOT wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:14 pm
Three years in I’m still rocking the Cribs bass. It is one of my favorites! I think these basses are rarer than the guitars are...
I want this bass so badly, kicking myself for not grabbing one when they were three hundred and something on Thomann.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:02 am

I'm beginning to think I should have got the bass too. I do have a medium scale now and I play it quite a bit! :'(

FIREBOT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FIREBOT » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:23 pm

It’s really big... here it is next to a full-size Telecaster bass.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:03 am

Weird! Always thought it was way smaller!

Insane how they did these guitars - no US distro and what something like 300 of them made? I understand that the Cribs might not be as popular here as they are at home but I’ve yet to run into somebody who didn’t think their guitars were fucking awesome. They’d do well. It’d be pretty cool to see a line of Squier signature stuff - Kevin Shields/Belinda Butcher Jazzmaster and Mustang, Johnny Greenwood Starcaster, Oliver Aukermann/Tom Verlaine Jaguar, Kim Gordon Jazz Bass, I could go on forever

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:37 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:03 am

Insane how they did these guitars - no US distro and what something like 300 of them made? I understand that the Cribs might not be as popular here as they are at home but I’ve yet to run into somebody who didn’t think their guitars were fucking awesome. They’d do well. It’d be pretty cool to see a line of Squier signature stuff - Kevin Shields/Belinda Butcher Jazzmaster and Mustang, Johnny Greenwood Starcaster, Oliver Aukermann/Tom Verlaine Jaguar, Kim Gordon Jazz Bass, I could go on forever
I suppose one key difference with the Jarman signatures is that they are new designs. Take a Kevin Shields Jazzmaster? What would actually be different about them to what Fender is already selling? A Belinda-stang would be very cool though.

I've lived with the Jarman Squier guitar for a few years now, gigging and recording with it. It's a solid guitar, but I have heavily modified it to get the guitar to do what I wanted it to do.

Pros - The tremolo works and the neck is well finished. It looks really cool.
Cons - The hardware is mostly junk in my opinion. The tuners, nut and bridge had to go. I've swapped out both pickups too. All in all, I've spent more upgrading the guitar, than what it cost to buy. I've also simplified the wiring to my tastes, so now I have a simple 3-way switch and a volume control, but I know that is a personal preference.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:48 am

The Jarman Bass is a great instrument, a medium-scale vintage-style P-Bass with a different and pretty unique aesthetic. Alder body, HiMass bridge, cool custom colour, the works. It's probably the only bass I'll ever really need, and it was obvious from the second Thomann started blowing them out despite so few having been made that at some point in the future they'll be collectibles.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:26 am

Jan Deal wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:37 am
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:03 am

I suppose one key difference with the Jarman signatures is that they are new designs. Take a Kevin Shields Jazzmaster? What would actually be different about them to what Fender is already selling? A Belinda-stang would be very cool though.

I've lived with the Jarman Squier guitar for a few years now, gigging and recording with it. It's a solid guitar, but I have heavily modified it to get the guitar to do what I wanted it to do.

Pros - The tremolo works and the neck is well finished. It looks really cool.
Cons - The hardware is mostly junk in my opinion. The tuners, nut and bridge had to go. I've swapped out both pickups too. All in all, I've spent more upgrading the guitar, than what it cost to buy. I've also simplified the wiring to my tastes, so now I have a simple 3-way switch and a volume control, but I know that is a personal preference.
I guess the things aren’t super related, just an idea. There aren’t a lot of artist signature Squier guitars, so if I had any pull at Fender I would make it my life’s work to change that and have one of the main things be that they’d have convenient manufacturing points to make them easier to mod - just like Jarman bros said they did with these guitars. Even if no big line were to ever come out, lot of people like the Jarman signatures and would definitely sell well state side. I don’t own a bass and have wanted one of those since I first saw it and it sucks that it was never really possible for me to begin with.

Nickaldous26
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Nickaldous26 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:12 am

Welcome back, The Cribs! Running into you sounds great, immediately learnt it on my musuar.

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:21 am

My heavily modified Squier Jarman spotted in the wild, with a Kurt Cobain Mustang also making an appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P917H9-gNc4
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

fuzzy_man_peach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzy_man_peach » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:18 am

So I saw the cribs last night on the first date of the uk tour and they both played the signatures all night (red musuar, sunburst comet) and it just renewed my interest in reissues or maybe even fender getting the jarman brothers to come up with updates to the models, maybe variations on the original designs or fresh signatures with some other quirky offset designs of theirs!

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:35 am

I didn't realise they were touring. I might go to Brighton/Bristol, so thanks for flagging it to me!

It would definitely make sense for Fender to bring them back. It's the one-that-got-away guitar for me. I really wish I'd bought one when they came out, and had I realised how rare they were I would have just ordered online. That said, the Jag-stang has scratched that particular itch for me, so I'm not sure I would get one if they came back now.

fuzzy_man_peach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzy_man_peach » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:11 am

Stephen_42 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:35 am
I didn't realise they were touring. I might go to Brighton/Bristol, so thanks for flagging it to me!

It would definitely make sense for Fender to bring them back. It's the one-that-got-away guitar for me. I really wish I'd bought one when they came out, and had I realised how rare they were I would have just ordered online. That said, the Jag-stang has scratched that particular itch for me, so I'm not sure I would get one if they came back now.
No worries, was a great gig! So worth grabbing tickets, the only reason I didn't get the original run was the burgundy mist finish, just didn't do it for me but the red with plain headstock he played last night just looked the business and suites it so well, same with the bass the sunburst finish suits it much better than the ocean turquoise of the production run! Would love to see fender branded ones though!