Squier unveils The Cribs signature

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
loungelife
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier unveils The Cribs signature

Post by loungelife » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:54 am

I swapped my neck pickup today and got a look at the back of the humbucker. It's an MP-H1F humbucker from the Fender Modern Player series.

fuzzy_man_peach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzy_man_peach » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:57 am

need some advice, i like the gary jarman bass but would much prefer it being a 30 inch scale and a more standard jazz bass headstock shape, after some thought i wondered about moving the bridge back and putting a wide range humbucker in it's place then swapping the current pickup with a mustang bass one, giving it that pawnshop vibe, is it do-able? also could someone mock up a picture with the above mods?

borntohang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by borntohang » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:02 am

fuzzy_man_peach wrote:need some advice, i like the gary jarman bass but would much prefer it being a 30 inch scale and a more standard jazz bass headstock shape, after some thought i wondered about moving the bridge back and putting a wide range humbucker in it's place then swapping the current pickup with a mustang bass one, giving it that pawnshop vibe, is it do-able? also could someone mock up a picture with the above mods?
If you want it 30" scale you'd need to move the bridge toward the neck, not back, so you'd have less space to place a pickup. It could be a fun mod, but it'd be a fair bit of work. Maybe something like a Jaguar SS neck would fit, but there'd be a lot of tweaking involved as the GJ has quite a wide neck and the Jag does not.

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:48 pm

Still thinking about these...
Anyone hate there's and thinking of moving it along?

@jarman please make more, the fender offsets look bad and the new squier ones just aren't as cool and they aren't gonna be as good value i bet

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:47 am

https://instagram.com/p/BQ7xI8bjviN/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've had mine upgraded with a Creamery WRHB and simplified controls. Just a 3 way switch instead of the on offs and kill switch.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

SAVEStheDAY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SAVEStheDAY » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:28 am

A while back I swapped the bridge pickup and changed the neck cover out. I love this guitar.

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:08 am

update: still my dream guitar, both of those up there look amazing
if anyone starts to hate theres for whatever reason, i'm right here

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:13 am

We want these reissued @jarman!! Seriously knocked these out of the park, man- I'm just sad I didn't have the money at the time to justify another guitar (and being in the U.S.) If these come out again (fingers crossed), I won't be so late to the game

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:50 am

Finally did what was needed to be done.

The gentleman who's taken great care of my gear for the past 15 years did a stellar job, even asking if I wanted to "sink" the Dunlop straplocks flush with the body, since he was inclined to give it a go and could very much pull it off...though I declined Bright-n-jangly TV Jones Magnatron now in place (hated the not-this-nor-that character of the stock Squier humbucko), both a GFS tortoise & white guard cut with precision, and body routed for more aesthetically-balanced position of a 5-way varitone in place of the kill-switch. Tort guard on for now.

Yaro the overweight Abyssinian approves thus far.

Pinks at home shown for contrast: Nitrocellulose lacquer Shell Pink vs. polyurethane Burgundy Mist

Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:35 am

And here is the original parchment guard (L) next to the fresh-cut GFS white(R) guard. Gonna need some serious aging to eventually look best on Burgundy Mist methinks :)

Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:24 am

NGD guitar post incoming

notnow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by notnow » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Cool that you got one dylanafghjkl! Where did you find it?

Wow this is such a great looking guitar! I cant believe I missed the release of the Mus-uar. It truly has everything I wish my Mustang had. Seems it will be even more difficult to get my hands on one of these here in the States now with the CITES rosewood regulations on international imports/exports.

I'll just have to hope for another run or for one to turn up for sale stateside.

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:33 pm

notnow wrote:Cool that you got one dylanafghjkl! Where did you find it?

Wow this is such a great looking guitar! I cant believe I missed the release of the Mus-uar. It truly has everything I wish my Mustang had. Seems it will be even more difficult to get my hands on one of these here in the States now with the CITES rosewood regulations on international imports/exports.

I'll just have to hope for another run or for one to turn up for sale stateside.
I completely forgot about the NGD post I was going to make! I'll have to take some good photos when I'm home and theres daylight (not often anymore unfortunately).

It was the first one I saw come up for sale in the world and it was a 20 minute drive away and a decent price (no more than it would have cost to import it new).

I think theres one in the for sale section at the moment? But I'm not sure where it's located

skeletonsmith
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by skeletonsmith » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:14 am

hi guys, new one here.
i want to change the trem on the musuar into a staytrem one. which collet do i need?

also i want to get rid of the high output humbucker. i never played another HB-equipped guitar, but this one is just too loud for me.
does anyone have any recommendations? i can't just go out and test stuff because of social anxiety.

and last: i have no clue how to put a new pickup in a guitar. is it manageble as a newbie with 1% soldering skills? :)

thanks in advance.

borntohang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by borntohang » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:12 am

skeletonsmith wrote:hi guys, new one here.
i want to change the trem on the musuar into a staytrem one. which collet do i need?

also i want to get rid of the high output humbucker. i never played another HB-equipped guitar, but this one is just too loud for me.
does anyone have any recommendations? i can't just go out and test stuff because of social anxiety.

and last: i have no clue how to put a new pickup in a guitar. is it manageble as a newbie with 1% soldering skills?

thanks in advance.
Where are you based? I'd recommend Wilkinson parts for cheap pickups in EU/UK, and GFS if you're US-side. Wilkinson do a few nice low output PAF models and GFS do pretty much anything you fancy.

Soldering isn't too difficult - just make a note of where each wire came from before you desolder and then attach the corresponding pickup wire to the same place. If it doesn't make a sound, or sounds funny, then start again. Patience is a wonderful thing and will prevent you getting lots of solder burns all over your hands!