Nash JM-63 owners

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Nash JM-63 owners

Post by Fiddy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:32 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:
tribi9 wrote:
No need to be a dick.
A bit rich, don't you think? We are in the middle of this worthless discussion because you couldn't get past one innocuous sentence --"He's the guy that helped Marr design his Jag."-- in a long and meaningful post.

You should have quoted my entire post.

All i said is i wouldn't call that designing. Is there something wrong with saying that? :mellow:

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:31 pm

tribi9 wrote:
mediocreplayer wrote:
tribi9 wrote:
No need to be a dick.
A bit rich, don't you think? We are in the middle of this worthless discussion because you couldn't get past one innocuous sentence --"He's the guy that helped Marr design his Jag."-- in a long and meaningful post.

All i said is i wouldn't call that designing. Is there something wrong with saying that?
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I personally don't qualify that as "designing" either. Marr and everyone else in the list of Fender "Signature Series" didn't design their guitars, they selected certain features on an existing or pre-design platform. I teach drawing for designers at a college level, and I would fail a student who would bring me a drawing of a jaguar or telecaster claiming it's an original design because of the toggle switch or a strat input jack or some minor departure from the existing product.

However, I have noticed that in US (where I currently live) the words "design" and "designer" are used in a bit more generous way than they are in Europe of Asia, so we might be hitting here some cultural misunderstandings.

Here are some examples of original designs:

k701
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k701 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:55 pm

It's a forum post not a college class. Does it really matter. Are you going to check my spelling next? Fender asked him to do a signature Jag, he's hardly going to produce something like that.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:12 pm

tribi9 wrote:
mediocreplayer wrote:
tribi9 wrote:
No need to be a dick.

All i said is i wouldn't call that designing. Is there something wrong with saying that?
You be the judge. You took one word out of a post that has little or no relevance to that post and in fact, to the entire thread, and decided to pick on it. I would personally classify this incessant desire to criticize something so irrelevant as borderline trolling or a severe case of boredom.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:30 pm

:mellow:

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:36 pm

k701 wrote:It's a forum post not a college class. Does it really matter. Are you going to check my spelling next? Fender asked him to do a signature Jag, he's hardly going to produce something like that.
It's all good, man. No I don't want to check your spelling; English is not my first (or second) language and not my forte altogether. As I said, there might be some misunderstanding that's happening due to cultural differences pertaining what is "design" both as a noun and a verb. Anyway, this thread is derailed beyond reasonable, and I apologize to the OP for contributing to the derail.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:40 pm

Let's all move on and continue with the Nash thread...

blake480
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blake480 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:03 pm

Danocaster > Nash

Next thread.

JKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JKR » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:37 am

Yes please, let's get back to the thread.

The link that Andy added on page 1 http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =8&t=47291 was incredibly detailed and a real eye opener.
Then Ian as a Nash JM owner added his recent pics and comments that quality seemed good.

So....any other Nash owners out there want to chip in?

Bothand Nether
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bothand Nether » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:26 pm

PixMix wrote: Here are some examples of original designs:

not to derail, but man.......those are inspiring!

My associate owns a major recording studio here in LA, He's a piano player primarily but has recently gotten into the guitar.

He got a Nash strat because one of the Producers there had one that was quite nice.
His Nash is a baby blue strat & I don't have any problems playing it at all.

-That being said, I'd never pay a custom axe price for what is essentially a partscaster built with economy parts.
The only problem I have with the several I've tried is the price, but I'm usually poor most of the time :)
"No short-haired, yellow-bellied Son of tricky dicky's Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me"
-The late Mr. L.

gnoleb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gnoleb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:38 pm

I just found this thread when searching for Nash JM-63 and pots. So I guess I'm a new member. Thought I'd post my impressions. And avoid that argument, heh.

I'm about two weeks into a new JM-63. It looks just like this one (altho I paid a good chunk less than that): https://reverb.com/ca/item/2349926-nash ... serial-261" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used to have a Classic Players Jazzmaster about 4 years ago, and I sold it because I just didn't like the neck nor the pickups (no sparkle at all), and I didn't want a "project" (I have too many already). But because that itch wasn't scratched back then, it just seemed to grow. The reason I bought the Nash was because it felt the best in terms of playability at the store (and it had the most sustain). It was, truthfully, a little more than I wanted to spend (I was hoping to keep things under ~ $1500 USD including tax, which is 12% here in B.C.), but I still have another two weeks to return it if I change my mind.

In total:
+ Thus far, I think I've needed to tune it up maybe 2x. I'm very impressed with that.
+ The neck is the best part. Smooth feel and I love the way it plays.
+ The rhythm circuit modification (it works on all selector positions) is better. I actually like using this on the middle position, oddly enough, to get a smoother crunch rhythm.
+ It balances perfectly with a strap. I love that. The Fender reissues did not (at least on me...the sales person said sometimes they do, sometimes they don't...that seemed odd).
+ It seems using the Buzzstop does help with sustain. I'm not sure if it is helping with the tuning, as well, but it might be.
+ The bridge feels nice on palm resting.
- I wish the neck "relic" on the back went down further. It is literally the best feature on the guitar (in how good it feels) and matching it to a "look" of real wear doesn't interest me as much as smooth slides down past fret 12. I might look into doing something there myself. Maybe. I'm afraid, too.
- The Buzzstop does detract from the vintage look, imo.
- I'm getting a load of hum from the pickups. Like more than my Fender Baja tele. It seems to vary by pedal, however, so I'm not sure why that is. My keely tubescreamer doesn't seem too bad, but my two wamplers seem to kick the hum up crazy. I haven't taken the pickguard off yet.
- The neck and middle positions sound really good, but I'm not super happy with the bridge sound. They are lollar pickups. I guess I just want something that gets dirtier, but I don't want to put in a humbucker. I think the lollars are wound more for vintage sounds and not the big shoegaze wail / crunch I want to get out of the bridge.

So in general, I'm pretty happy with it. I think I'm gonna stick a Novak JM-180 in the bridge (not sure where to put the coil tap yet) to satiate my need for more grind, but truthfully I think I would have done something similar with any JM I bought. I'll check if it is shield well when I take the pickguard off.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:44 pm

I played one at a store, and honestly was very unimpressed. I attributed it to the buzzstop.

gnoleb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gnoleb » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:08 pm

So I ordered a Novak p-180 and it arrived today. I'll install it soon (probably this weekend) and post what I think.

brudy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by brudy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Well, I have a Nash strat and it was the strat that made me want a strat. It sounds amazing, plays amazing. I don't love the excessive aging, but I bought it in spite of that because it sounds so great. It's my desert island strat. I've played Danocaster strats and while I think maybe the Dano's are more consistent, there's no tonal advantage. I also got mine used, so the price point was a lot lower.

All that said, I wouldn't buy a Nash offset. I fundamentally disagree with the roller bridge and the buzzstop, especially for the price. And yes, I've had a buzz stop (on a jag) and taking it off and swapping bridge/tailpiece was the best thing I ever did for that guitar.

iainmayfield
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iainmayfield » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:08 am

brudy wrote: I fundamentally disagree with the roller bridge and the buzzstop, especially for the price. And yes, I've had a buzz stop (on a jag) and taking it off and swapping bridge/tailpiece was the best thing I ever did for that guitar.
I took the buzzstop off my Nash JM63 and it plays fine - it wasn't really needed and ruined the aesthetics - the action is super lower with the roller bridge - mine's a dead nice guitar - although it sounds different to my other Jazzmasters - I think that's due to the Lollars which are giving a much janglier sound on this guitar.