Nash JM-63 owners

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Nash JM-63 owners

Post by OV7 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:33 pm

I got a 2019 JM63 yesterday and I have to say it is the best playing guitar I've ever had. I can't figure out how it is wired, though, coming from traditional Jazzmaster wiring. The buzz stop seems to make the vibrato completely useless. The action up and down the fretboard is very low, buzz free, and totally level from nut to saddle. I'm used to my Jazzmasters being perfect at the nut and progressively getting higher action as you go higher on the fretboard. The 12" radius on the Nash is very different but also very easy to play. The neck profile is slightly thicker feeling than my AV65 or 60th Anniversary. I'm sold on the Lollar pickups and the neck. It has the usual Jazzmaster hum. I guess that is just the nature of the beast, right?

dolphins of italy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dolphins of italy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:42 am

Bought one two weeks ago. I knew nothing about them. I played a brand new American Ultra ($2000) , a 65' ($5000), a Troy V Model ($1300?) then they handed me the Nash ($1900). I narrowed down to the Ultra and the Nash. I went outside for some air and a talk with my wife. Went back in and bought the Nash. It's a wonderful special and unique guitar. The neck.... it's like I was waiting my whole life to wrap my hands around it hah! A Jazzmaster was always on my list to have, I've been playing a '91 American Strat since '91. Many many other excellent guitars I've owned along the way but always got rid of them and just stuck with my Strat. The Nash is a true keeper though, love it. Its an unruly beast capable of tenderness...

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Couple years back I spent an afternoon diddling with an AV'65 Sherwood Green JM and a Candy Apple Red Nash JM. Both between $2k-$2.5K., both sounded good, both felt pretty good. I liked the satin neck finish on the Nash (though the highliter yellow was.... not ideal), disliked the Buzzstop. But there wasn't anything there I couldn't do. I've finished a couple necks, and they turned out great. I saw one on a Partscaster in a shop a couple years later and the owner swore it was legit vintage (although he also probably really wanted to believe it was true, too). I couldn't do a mirror finish Sherwood like the Fender, but I could bang out the Nash's CAR-that-wasn't-fully-done-so-it-could-just-be-relic-ified by my 2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th try.

So, the Nash objectively was a nice feeling and playing guitar. Personally, I'd have to smoke a freezer bag of bath salts to talk myself into paying 2 1/2 to 3 times what it would cost to roll my own. For me, the value just wasn't there.