Nash JM-63 owners

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Nash JM-63 owners

Post by shadowplay » Sun May 22, 2016 6:16 am

k701 wrote:
tribi9 wrote:Again none of that is designing. Those are well executed customizations to an existing design.

You can argue all you want.
If you think that is not a design process, then maybe you've been inhaling too many pickguard shavings.

Are you a designer? I am and that is customisation, pure and simple, next you'll be saying sticking big rims on your Honda is 'design' or sewing some brass buttons on yer blazer. It's essentially a productionised parts guitar, it's well realised but it's not design.

I'm curious, say you have a Squier and you rout it for buckers, slap on a Mascis neck and match the headstock and decal your Squier water into Fender wine, have you designed a guitar? I do remember someone on here telling me that their Squier was no longer a Squier once they badged it Fender, so who knows?

I think folks definition of designer have been warped by makeover shows and celebrity 'designed' generic tat. It seems designing is one of those lines of work that's constantly being degraded in the public perception. I often complain about some designers being essentially stylists but this is worse.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

iainmayfield
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iainmayfield » Sun May 22, 2016 6:51 am

here are the insides:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/ ... j3s3xx.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/ ... nxgkgh.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as you can see neat wiring taped to the pick guard and fully shielded.

BowieSocks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BowieSocks » Sun May 22, 2016 8:30 am

Looks like he changed his mind on shielding...

k701
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k701 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:56 am

shadowplay wrote:
k701 wrote:
tribi9 wrote:Again none of that is designing. Those are well executed customizations to an existing design.

You can argue all you want.
If you think that is not a design process, then maybe you've been inhaling too many pickguard shavings.

Are you a designer? I am and that is customisation, pure and simple, next you'll be saying sticking big rims on your Honda is 'design' or sewing some brass buttons on yer blazer. It's essentially a productionised parts guitar, it's well realised but it's not design.

I'm curious, say you have a Squier and you rout it for buckers, slap on a Mascis neck and match the headstock and decal your Squier water into Fender wine, have you designed a guitar? I do remember someone on here telling me that their Squier was no longer a Squier once they badged it Fender, so who knows?

I think folks definition of designer have been warped by makeover shows and celebrity 'designed' generic tat. It seems designing is one of those lines of work that's constantly being degraded in the public perception. I often complain about some designers being essentially stylists but this is worse.

D
There's no need to flap around like a disgruntled pigeon. Yes I am a designer- have been for the past 22 years. If you'd have read the previous posts properly you would have seen that at no point did I say he designed 'a guitar'. You may have your rigid (and strangely protective?) views of what designing is up there on that high horse, but there are many things about the Marr Jag and its design process, then it being put into production by Fender, that take it above what is generally considered a customisation job.

Construction plans were drawn up for each revision, which are then referred to as 'designs'. So my saying '..Marr design his Jag' was perfectly acceptable. I didn't say design 'THE jag' or 'a guitar', yet this still seems to have wounded your presciousness as a designer.

With your flair for the dramatic, maybe a career in the theatre might be better suited than the design world?

JKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JKR » Tue May 31, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi Ian
Thanks for sharing the pics.

I've not had any of my guitars apart to the extent that I see many doing so & I'm happily oblivious to many things other than feel, tone and reliability.

So how do you feel about the Nash now you've been inside? It's the same guitar after all, sounds & plays the same and if you were happy before......keep rocking tha Nash!

I certainly didn't expect the post to turn into offset wars, disappointing really when all I'd seen on the forum had been positive.....

repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by repoman » Tue May 31, 2016 5:03 pm

Thats so crazy about those Nash guitars. I had seen them on TGP a lot and thought they were cool, started checking them out a bit closer because I was thinking about maybe buying one but the relicing on the fretboard looked so crazy I started doing some googling and found that exposé thread...You think they are 'legit' because they're sold in shops like CME.

I thought it was almost as crazy to find out those Danocasters are just done up 'partscasters' too. I guess they have a really great reputation but its still nuts to drop that kind of money on a guitar thats not built by the dude you are buying it from when its in booteekland imo.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Tue May 31, 2016 7:13 pm

repoman wrote: I thought it was almost as crazy to find out those Danocasters are just done up 'partscasters' too. I guess they have a really great reputation but its still nuts to drop that kind of money on a guitar thats not built by the dude you are buying it from when its in booteekland imo.
I feel the same. For that kind of money I would go to a builder like Koll, Rhoney, Kauer, etc. Even Creston steps out of the Fender world once in a while and does cool stuff.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue May 31, 2016 11:00 pm

repoman wrote:

I thought it was almost as crazy to find out those Danocasters are just done up 'partscasters' too. I guess they have a really great reputation but its still nuts to drop that kind of money on a guitar thats not built by the dude you are buying it from when its in booteekland imo.

I didn't know this either. You'd think at the very least these dudes would be using Mastery bridges and them units if they're charging a very hilarious $2000 for a kit guitar that they paint and throw around a little for you

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:14 am

Hardly 'offset wars' Mostly just people trying to prevent fellow members from being ripped off...
iainmayfield wrote:as you can see neat wiring taped to the pick guard and fully shielded.
How's the rest of the hardware quality wise? Are those tune-o-matic bridge thimbles? Is he still using import tremolo assemblies?
mediocreplayer wrote:For that kind of money I would go to a builder like Koll, Rhoney, Kauer, etc
For that kind of money ($2K) you'd only be leaving a deposit to get a build started with those guys (but yes: still a much higher quality result).
Last edited by andy_tchp on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

cbrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cbrown » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:07 am

k701 wrote:Construction plans were drawn up for each revision, which are then referred to as 'designs'. So my saying '..Marr design his Jag' was perfectly acceptable. I didn't say design 'THE jag' or 'a guitar', yet this still seems to have wounded your presciousness as a designer.
So if you do a drawing of your Honda with the big rims and then refer to that as a 'design' are you a car designer? I'd agree with Shadowplay that calling this design belittles designers.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:45 am

andy_tchp wrote:
For that kind of money ($2K) you'd only be leaving a deposit to get a build started with those guys (but yes: still a much higher quality result).
Fair enough. Then let's just compare to Creston, who has comparable prices but who actually makes the guitars.
Last edited by mediocreplayer on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k701
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k701 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:27 am

cbrown wrote:
k701 wrote:Construction plans were drawn up for each revision, which are then referred to as 'designs'. So my saying '..Marr design his Jag' was perfectly acceptable. I didn't say design 'THE jag' or 'a guitar', yet this still seems to have wounded your presciousness as a designer.
So if you do a drawing of your Honda with the big rims and then refer to that as a 'design' are you a car designer? I'd agree with Shadowplay that calling this design belittles designers.
Yawn yawn.

Read the previous posts properly.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:19 am

k701 wrote:
cbrown wrote:
Yawn yawn.

Read the previous posts properly.
No need to be a dick to everybody. No need to be upset with those that disagree with your opinion.

k701
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k701 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:56 pm

tribi9 wrote:
No need to be a dick to everybody. No need to be upset with those that disagree with your opinion.
Says the one who pendantically nit picks at others posts feverishly complaining that someone used a descriptive word you didn't agree with- all because I used the word 'design' instead of one you deem suitable from your throne of correction. I think you'll find that is the dickish behaviour here. You must have a small life to troll around threads doing that.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:03 pm

tribi9 wrote:
No need to be a dick.
A bit rich, don't you think? We are in the middle of this worthless discussion because you couldn't get past one innocuous sentence --"He's the guy that helped Marr design his Jag."-- in a long and meaningful post.