Worst gig ever! Power supply suggestions?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
PaulDesmondTutu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Worst gig ever! Power supply suggestions?

Post by PaulDesmondTutu » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:15 am

Hi everyone,

Last Tuesday I experienced the absolute worst gig I've ever had. I'm still not sure what happened but both the keyboard player and me did not get any power. As it turns out my Dunlop DC Brick and his keyboard, or it's power supply are also broken. I also need a new seperate power supply for my Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic and when I do get these, the repair guy can establish the damage done to the other pedals. (Boss TU-2 and Fulltone OCD) Someone thought maybe the main power was set on 380V?

Because of the lack of amp and pedals I had to plug into the mixer. Consequently because of the cold my guitar was pretty out of tune as well. The audience had already waited 20 to 30 minutes because of the lack of power so the conductor of the bigband didn't give me a whole lot of time to tune. I can tune fine with a tuning fork or a piano but not so much with trumpet or upright bass, especially when there's dozens of people waiting and I can only hear myself over the large speakers pointed towards the public. Murphy would have been proud.

Long story short, has anyone here ever experience a similar loss of power and broken equipment? Also, what kind of power supply do you recommend for replacing my DC Brick?
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…"

PaulDesmondTutu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Worst gig ever! Power supply suggestions?

Post by PaulDesmondTutu » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:15 pm

And nobody cares about me. :'( Just checked with a 9V battery and my OCD still works. However my TU-2 does not which sucks. Have to replace that with a TU-3 or a Polytune. Any thoughts on those?
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…"

druunkonego
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by druunkonego » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Not sure I can comment on the issues but that sounds like a stressful situation... especially considering gigs are suppose to be fun.

Sorry about your luck. :(

Hopefully the repairs aren't too costly.

For power supply suggestions... I use a Voodoo lab Pedal Power 2. They're one of the more pricey options but it has served me well and I would recommend it.

I don't have any first hand experience with them but these seem like they could be a good option too.
http://cioks.com/index.php?option=com_c ... &Itemid=56" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They seem well made and I like that they are flexible enough to work with those pedals with odd power requirements.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Sounds like a nightmare...I've had a couple of gigs like that in the past...

I use a T-Rex Chameleon, and a Voodoo Lab ISO5...both excellent power supplies.

The Chameleon has more options, but I guess you need to write down the power requirements of your board, and then figure out which power supply can support them all.

For example, my Echoczar needs 18V...both of my supplies do this, but only the T-Rex actually pimps out enough juice for the particular pedal. :)
Resident Spartan.

PaulDesmondTutu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PaulDesmondTutu » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:33 am

Thanks guys. I think the Voodoo Labs power supply is a good investment if I ever want to buy a Pedaltrain. Anyone here with a TU-3?

BCbassman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BCbassman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:46 am

I've been there.
I had a gig where my bass amp cut out. It switched off because a Markbass amp will protect itself if the voltage drops below a certain point.

It is a good idea to check out the power in any new venue you play for correct voltage, grounding and in general check out that the circuits can support the voltage/amperage your band will draw. :o

veryredtomatoes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by veryredtomatoes » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:55 am

:-)

This is why those dorky looking headstock tuners aren't really that dorky after all, especially the tiny black ones that you can hardly see from more than a foot away.

As for power, a Spot has always served my needs well. ymmv.
Today is a good day to die.

PaulDesmondTutu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PaulDesmondTutu » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:59 am

Just checked with one of my former teachers and at least for the Twin Tube pedal I need a new adapter. Better than buying a new one. If anyone has a 16V 600mA one laying around I'd be glad to take it... Same for my 2007 DC Brick but maybe I can buy one from Dunlop if they still make them.

rory
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rory » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:59 pm

An alternative to Voodoo Labs is Cioks. I have their DC-10 but they have other options as well:
http://cioks.com/index.php?option=com_c ... &Itemid=56" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The big advantage with Cioks (actually I'm pretty sure Voodoo Labs is the only manufacturer out there that doesn't have this option) is that it has a switch on the back to switch between 230v and 120v, so you're able to use it in Europe and North America without a stepdown transformer if you need.

PaulDesmondTutu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PaulDesmondTutu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:47 am

Thanks for the tip. I did manage to find a replacement adapter for the Twin Tube:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Duncan- ... 20f140042c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just gotta find one for the DC Brick and I'm probably set.

graywoods
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by graywoods » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:15 am

That all sucks. I've played shows where the power was cut, and one where only SOME of the power was cut (leaving like, the kick drum, vocals and bass mid-song ha ha ha) but never one that fried my gear. Condolences.

I just thought I'd jump in to say that I recently got a Polytune....the tiny one. It's been great! The all-open-string setting is good and the string-by-string tuning recognition is great.

Good luck with the gear repair!

PaulDesmondTutu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PaulDesmondTutu » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks for chiming in. I did manage to find a few local sites that carry a replacement power supply for the Twin Tube:

http://shop.warwick.de/?&c=35352310031& ... |RockPower" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rockshop.de/en-de/products/33006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessor ... -240-p5333" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found one on Ebay earlier but the shipping costs were more than the thing itself so this is a nice alternative.

PaulDesmondTutu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PaulDesmondTutu » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:30 am

Just a little update, today I found a replacement adapter for the DC Brick and it still works. Just have buy one for the Twin Tube and I'm set... except for the insurance part to hopefully get those expenses back.