rhythm circuit works but not lead circuit

For help with setups and other technical issues.
bionic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

rhythm circuit works but not lead circuit

Post by bionic » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:48 am

Rewiring my jazzmaster and am getting a headache. Everytime I flip the switch down I get no sound but the volume and tone work on the rhythm circuit when the switch is the up position. What did I do wrong, I followed the wiring diagram to a T

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: rhythm circuit works but not lead circuit

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:10 pm

'No sound' to me sounds like a dead short.

Check the terminals of the three-way toggle switch for shorting against the shielding (this is assuming you have shielding tubs/tape in the cavity). This is a common problem as there is very little free space in that particular section of the route. Is it no sound on all 'lead circuit' positions, or just neck, both, bridge?

Also definitely worth checking the two-way toggle for similar shorts, especially the end that engages the lead circuit. Bend the solder tabs into a better position if required.

If you're absolutely 100% positive you've eliminated the switching from the equation, move downstream to the lead circuit pots. I would be fairly surprised if this was the case.

Good luck and let us know how you go. Post a pic if you don't get it sorted.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

bionic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: rhythm circuit works but not lead circuit

Post by bionic » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:41 am

I think it might be the two way switch. Putting another one in right now and try that out