How do I stop string-ends from unwinding in a JM vibrato?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

How do I stop string-ends from unwinding in a JM vibrato?

Post by Ceylon » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:52 am

I hate it when a string suddenly starts unwinding by the ball end, and I've noticed this is fairly common in offset vibratos. Obviously this can just be because the string is bad to boot, but it seems to happen more frequently on my VM Jaguar than on my CIJ JM, to the point where I hesitate to replace the high e-string since I might just get a week or two out of it anyway. Yeah, I don't change the rest of the strings very often.

So, is there a fix for this, like something about the string holder that can be tinkered with to stop this from happening? I guess this isn't really an issue with Fender Bullet strings, but they don't make them in the gauges I like.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How do I stop string-ends from unwinding in a JM vibrato

Post by Francer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Well, you need something to stop the string unwinding, I've tried solder which works ok but is a hassle to do, currently i'm using superglue which also seems to work ok. Others have tried heat shrink, but looks ugly to me.

i've also noticed on some strings the end of the winding at the ball end sticks up a little bit, if this is pointing down into the screw head it will catch and unravel when you use the trem, if you have this, then loosen the string off and rotate the barrel 180degrees, so that bit of string end is pointing away from the screw head, might help.

There's at least one other thread about this on OSG - the search button is your friend :)

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:28 pm

Solder the ball ends.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:21 pm

I have tried just about everything. The only thing that works for extended periods is soldering the winds at the ball ends. What I do is a I buy several extra high strings (or several full packs) and solder them all in one swoop, that way I have extras handy if a string breaks or I need to change to a new set. I don't go through strings very often, so it's really only a hassle every now and then.

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:26 pm

I used to have this problem and I switched to using 11 elixirs and have not had the problem since. They are more expensive, but I get longer life out of them.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Never experienced this issue with GHS or DR strings.

Over a dozen years of offset ownership and three different guitars.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:11 pm

So, I've never used them, and this is a shot in the dark. But would Fender Bullet strings make anything better in this situation?

http://www2.fender.com/experience/tech- ... s-strings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or do they take up too much space on the rear of the Jazzmaster tremolo unit?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Larry Mal wrote: Or do they take up too much space on the rear of the Jazzmaster tremolo unit?
This has been my reason for not trying them. BUT, they could work. I can't be bothered to lay down the little extra the bullet-end strings seem too cost (this might not be the case elsewhere).

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:23 pm

Solder works, 100%. Everything else just "kinda" works.

I'm going to assume you're playing D'Addarios, as those are the world's worst fitting ball ends and the only brand I have consistently had problems with (FWIW, I haven't had this issue using the new NYXL series). With the original D'As I always feel it necessary to use rubber lined needle-nose pliers and a small allen wrench and give the ball end a couple of extra twists and tighten the wind up a bit. Don't go nuts or you'll break the string... Just take a little of the slop out of them.

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:46 am

I think this has, as far as I can remember, only happened to me about once in 25 years of playing Jaguars. Have used various different brands/gauges (for about the last 7 or 8 years I've only used D'Addarios though) and have never had a problem. The one time it did happen I just ascribed it to a dodgy string.

I did use Fender Bullet strings a long time ago and I don't recall having any issues with the them fitting the trem.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:25 am

B wrote:Solder works, 100%. Everything else just "kinda" works.

I'm going to assume you're playing D'Addarios, as those are the world's worst fitting ball ends and the only brand I have consistently had problems with (FWIW, I haven't had this issue using the new NYXL series). With the original D'As I always feel it necessary to use rubber lined needle-nose pliers and a small allen wrench and give the ball end a couple of extra twists and tighten the wind up a bit. Don't go nuts or you'll break the string... Just take a little of the slop out of them.
For me, this has happened with just about every strings brand I could find. The cheap store-owned brand, D'addarios, Ernie Ball, Rotosound, GHS, DR, Dean Markley, Fender, and Pyramid. I think it's really largely dependent on how well the holes at the bridge are drilled, how tight the twists are on the strings, and even set up (bridge/string break angle, etc). There's probably a lot of flexing and bending and vibrations that go through a string, and after awhile, it's just a matter of time that any weak spot in the string's construction is going to give way and snap or unravel.

Soldering the ends has worked the best in my experience, as well. Now I have just made it a habit of carrying around extra high E strings or a full-set, in the gig bag, just in case a string fails.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Found these to not fail. They have an extra wrap at the ball end. You can even buy singles(not in Aus).

I found that the bullet strings just don't sit right. Even in a string through tele.
Seem to be made for strat type trem blocks.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Have been playing offsets for the better part of two decades (MIJ, American, and generic unmarked vibrato on a partscaster). Only ever used Dean Markley for uncoated, then Elixir for coated strings. Had never heard of this being a thing. Can vouch for those two brands across many makes of offset vibrato and many, many years, though I have never owned a Squier offset.

Didn't know this was a thing.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:59 am

Never had this happen either, I've owned ten or so offsets, maybe more, the only trem unit I haven't used is the AVRI one, never had an issue with Japanese, vintage or Squier.

Fasel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Fasel » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:05 am

I bought about 6 packs of Elixirs once in a bulk buy where the bottom E strings unwound from the ball as I was trying to tune them up to pitch. This happened about 4 times. I contacted Elixir and they were keen for me to return the 'faulty' string. If this problem just appears, specifically when fitting new strings, my first thoughts are to blame the string as Jags/Jazzies don't usually have anything to cause this issue, at least mine don't. After all, don't all companies try to reduce costs on just about everything they make? I still use Elixir exclusively and found it to most likely be a faulty batch as the problem has gone away...touch wood.