Suggestions for Jazzmaster Humbucker for post punkish sounds

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Subtlety
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Suggestions for Jazzmaster Humbucker for post punkish sounds

Post by Subtlety » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 am

Hi. I'm relatively now in the Offset (and pickup) world and would really appreciate to hear suggestions to make my already beloved AVRI 65 Jazzmaster even more appropriate for my kind of playing.

I'm trying to cover a lot of styles with this one guitar from Slowdive-ish clean ambient tones to rather aggressive post punk sounds like Joy Division or Die Nerven. In general I'm pretty happy about the neck PU but I struggle to make the bridge PU for the aggressive stuff work, as it is too quiet (also compared to the bridge PU), thin and feeds back too much.

As I noticed that a lot of bands whose aggressive sounds I like play a Fender Jaguar Special HH Classic Player with the stock PUs, I was thinking about getting a similar kind of PU as a Jazzmaster bridge PU and leave the stock Neck PU in it. As I rarely use the middle position, I'm not too concerned about it, though I would obviously appreciate if the volume gap of neck and bridge wouldn't be too huge.

Are there some Jazzmaster humbuckers (which don't require modifications) out there which would fit my needs?

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Suggestions for Jazzmaster Humbucker for post punkish sounds

Post by NICQ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:58 am

There are a lot of options nowadays - I'd recommend either Curtis Novak's JMPAF if you want a real humbucker sound (beefy and round) and still a quite traditional look or Rose Pickup's Picasso which are also very good in the bridge (a bit brighter still enough mids)

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/jm-paf.shtml
https://www.rosepickups.com/new-product ... jazzmaster

If you don't care for the looks you could get one of empyrean's conversion rings (open or closed) and just install a real humbucker - hundreds of sounds /pickups to choose from

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:20 pm

I'll vouch for the rose picasso.
This is an excellent rectangle

Subtlety
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Subtlety » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Found a used Curtis Novak's JM-WR and it sounds great! Made my guitar so much more versitile and improved the bridge-neck pickup balance.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:42 am

Can you tell me more about these empyrean rings? I'm also wondering why it appears you have only one screw holding the JM covers in place. I've read how others have clipped the legs off of humbuckers and placed them under JM covers. Just wondering what it all looks like from underneath.

Witchburner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Witchburner » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 pm

+1 on the novak wide range

Also you could pick up a used set of telecaster widerange HB's and go to town on your pickguard

I've played a JM with an oldschool gibson bucker, wasn't too big of a fan, n caught me completely off guard which was a nice change for once.