Debunked Jazzmaster Myths?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Debunked Jazzmaster Myths?

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:35 am

"You can't bend on those."
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:59 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:13 pm
“The rhythm circuit is useless.”
This. I use it more often than I use the bridge PU position.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 am

higgsblossom wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:59 am
marqueemoon wrote:
I’m not a heavy user, but it’s neat for fuzzier sounds, or even just for its original purpose.

I played with a guy once who used to accidentally hit his rhythm switch a lot, but I don’t think this is a problem for most people.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:57 am

I don't think any of the four originals are a myth, necessarily. Matched radii are nice - some people might not notice, a lot of people do. The tonewood debate will probably never be settled one way or another. MIJ Jazzmasters still have the weird, differently made pickups.

I don't see it said here but when Jazzmasters come up on other guitar forums there are always a few "they're good for <X> only" opinions. I find that to be a myth across the board - with few exceptions (you have to have a Floyd Rose) any guitar can play any style of music if you're not trying to copy certain sounds for a cover/tribute band. Go play stoner metal on that Mustang, you wouldn't be the first; go play country on that Jazzmaster, Chris Stapleton seems to do pretty well.

flysky578
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by flysky578 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:31 am

"Here we have a Squire Jagwar/Jagwire..."

"...the pu switches are really confusing"

Or in most Youtube comments..

"The shape is so uncomfortable I prefer Tele contours" :fp:

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:39 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 am
higgsblossom wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:59 am
marqueemoon wrote:
I’m not a heavy user, but it’s neat for fuzzier sounds, or even just for its original purpose.
I'm using it a lot for fuzzy, dirty "garage" sounds. It's got a very special vibe and I like how easy it is to dial in a bit of madness on a Jazzmaster. Like if you turn the rhythm circuit all the way up, the lead circuit a bit down and with the flick of a switch you just cut through any mix and have a completely different voicing with the same guitar in your hands. That's probably the feature of Jags and Jazzmasters that attracts me the most.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:48 am

wooderson wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:57 am
I don't see it said here but when Jazzmasters come up on other guitar forums there are always a few "they're good for <X> only" opinions. I find that to be a myth across the board - with few exceptions (you have to have a Floyd Rose) any guitar can play any style of music if you're not trying to copy certain sounds for a cover/tribute band. Go play stoner metal on that Mustang, you wouldn't be the first; go play country on that Jazzmaster, Chris Stapleton seems to do pretty well.
Ah yes, the good old "You can't have a Jaguar as your only guitar, because it won't cover all styles".

Granted, there's also the converse "You need a Jaguar/Jazzmaster if you want to play shoegaze."
flysky578 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:31 am
"Here we have a Squire Jagwar/Jagwire..."
I can't judge, I've only learned well into my adult life that "Tele" is apparently supposed to be pronounced "Telly" and not "Tehleh".

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:24 am

parry wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:00 am
"...are really cool guitars"

:whistle:

:ph34r:
I was going to say that.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:36 am

"The sustain on them sucks."

Firstly, I have a couple of jags that sustain like a Les Paul because I chose parts/specs to make them that way. Secondly, I came to appreciate the slightly stronger attack/shorter sustain of jags and JMs as a strength rather than a weakness, because I really like the punch of a strong string attack through a dirty tone, and I'm not the kind of player who's playing the November Rain solo over and over.

I've noticed the two crutches that shitty bluesdad solos lean on to make up for their inability to improvise are to repeat the same short phrase over and over through chords changes, and to hold single notes for fucking forever (especially if they bent up a half or whole step to get there, occasionally letting the pitch back down a bit, only to go back up there - oh no they didn't!).

It makes sense to me, then, that the gear world (pro reviews, amateur reviews, forums, magazines, YouTube) seem to have this obsession with "near-infinite sustain". You don't need it for 99.999% of all music that has ever been written on a guitar.

And when you do need it for an actual musical purpose, as Offset pioneers like MBV, DY, Slowdive etc etc all proved - you can do it much more effectively with feedback or ebows than with brass bridges on Les Pauls.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:47 am

Yeah, I always used to read about sustain and how important it was and I just never could see it... I took my Japanese Jazzmaster and put on a Mastery bridge and such, and vintage type pickups, and good hardware, and now it's like a real grade A Jazzmaster and frankly I'm not sure that it sounds any "better" than it did and had I known I was going to buy an AVRI I would have left it alone.

It had this great sound, buzzy, harmonics popping out everywhere, quick attack, distorted great, no sustain so the sound was just clean and popping, the transient attack was wonderful... now it maybe sounds great as is, still, I kind of miss it the way it was.

I basically don't play solos anyway so sustain isn't something I care about. And since I play a lot of chords, the sustain can actually get in the way of clean chord changes to a degree.

Sometimes it's nice plugging a Les Paul in, but it's just another flavor ultimately.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

NewKId
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NewKId » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:55 pm

“blusedad solos” Ha ha!
Take a vacation...from your problems - Dr. Leo Marvin, auhor of Baby Steps