Importing guitars from Japan to Europe?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Importing guitars from Japan to Europe?

Post by Ceylon » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:51 am

I've heard that due to things like humidity and so forth you can get setup or even structural issues with guitars if you import from Japan, but there's so much cool stuff there. Does anybody have experience with this? What can I expect?
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Importing guitars from Japan to Europe?

Post by Kent » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:51 am

I've done it. I wouldn't worry about it if you know how to do a basic setup. This is a nothing burger.

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:26 am

I‘ve done it, too. No problems at all. The big shops in Japan offer fast EMS shipping and
the packaging is pro level.
I’ve never heard of the humidity issue or had to
deal with structural issues.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:37 am

I think you're confusing a couple of different historical trends.

People have been importing Japanese guitars for decades. 20 years ago, I got my blue MIJ Jag straight from Japan because they didnt ship interesting colors to North America. My first three acoustic guitars were also Japanese. They were all made from kiln-dried wood and did fine.

The horror stories of imported guitars and humidity issues stem primarily from acoustic guitars built in other Asian countries like Vietnam and the Phillippines, which have incredibly high humidity, and whose luthiers used air-dried wood rather than kiln-dried wood. Primarily smaller builders who had never been in the export business before the internet era.

Some people started noticing that incredibly beautiful guitars were being built for pennies on the dollar compared to North America, and some businesses sprang up based on importing those guitars.

Because the woods were "green" (not kiln dried), they were stable enough when kept in the unchanging ~100% RH of their country of origin, but quickly structurally imploded when brought to drier climates.

If a guitar is built properly from kiln-dried wood, this is not a problem.

I've bought several guitars from Japan, the most recent of which was about a year and a half ago, and I've had no issues. I've bought guitars from Florida, which has probably a higher average RH. It's not a concern.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

lastlol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lastlol » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:50 pm

I've done it. I wouldn't worry about it if you know how to do a basic setup. This is a nothing burger.
+1 no problem whatsoever. Besides, Tokyo has a lower humidity level than Malmö, or Miami.