Sourcing for Wire and Slide Switch

For help with setups and other technical issues.
hetouchedabee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Sourcing for Wire and Slide Switch

Post by hetouchedabee » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:34 pm

You guys know what wires the ultra jazzmster uses? Also, I'm looking for a 4PDT slide switch with the product no. 7716744000 but couldn't find this model on the internet. If you could lead me to a good alternative I appreciate it.

Sent Fender an email a few days ago but it seems like they're busy. Then again, I sent it to consumerrelations@fender.com so correct me if there's an email I should contact.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Sourcing for Wire and Slide Switch

Post by timtam » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Fender would have been my first suggestion too for such an obscure part. 4PDT slide switches like the Ultra's are quite rare beasts. Best guess is that it might be this Switchcraft ...
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sw ... wqeg%3D%3D

That switch looks consistent with the look of the Ultra's here ...
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 6#p1591556

Available from all the big electronics supply houses.

As far as wire is concerned, any decent gauge insulated wire is fine - it's just regular nondescript stuff that Fender uses. You could go with shielded conductors for improved shielding, although the ultra has decent pickguard shielding and shielding paint in the cavities, so possibly redundant if you already have that.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:25 pm

Any wire works fine. The capacitive difference between grudges and types is so negligible that it makes no difference to tone. In a pickup, wire gauge is important. That’s because you use meters of wire. But in your cavity you have centimetres.

Cloth covered vs plastic coated is also irrelevant. Fender used cloth covered wire for their vintage guitars because plastic coated wire was unobtainable and expensive. When it became obtainable and affordable they switched. There is no final difference.

Switches also make no tonal difference. As long as they feel good and connect well, there is zero tone influence. You can buy fender switches. You can buy Gibson switches. You can buy any brand. It doesn’t matter because fender, Gibson, and PRS (etc) buy in third party switches; probably from the same factory. If your switch is feeling good, leave it.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:31 am

ChrisDesign wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:25 pm
Any wire works fine. The capacitive difference between grudges and types is so negligible that it makes no difference to tone. In a pickup, wire gauge is important. That’s because you use meters of wire. But in your cavity you have centimetres.

Cloth covered vs plastic coated is also irrelevant. Fender used cloth covered wire for their vintage guitars because plastic coated wire was unobtainable and expensive. When it became obtainable and affordable they switched. There is no final difference.

Switches also make no tonal difference. As long as they feel good and connect well, there is zero tone influence. You can buy fender switches. You can buy Gibson switches. You can buy any brand. It doesn’t matter because fender, Gibson, and PRS (etc) buy in third party switches; probably from the same factory. If your switch is feeling good, leave it.
Plastic wire is easier to work with, if that helps. Cloth wire is more "vintage correct" and looks nicer, but you're not gonna be staring at the wiring anyway. Guessing the Ultra has plastic wire anyway though.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:05 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:31 am
Guessing the Ultra has plastic wire anyway though.
100%. The ultra series are modern in every way
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

hetouchedabee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hetouchedabee » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:24 pm

Thanks guys, seems like I've found the parts I need. Attempting to build my own version of the ultra jazzmaster :)