Jazzmaster goes out of tune with vibrato usage (with Mastery)?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster goes out of tune with vibrato usage (with Mastery)?

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Do you have proper nut files or something equivalent? You can't just file away with anything and expect a good result.

You're not checking for burrs - the slots are physically too narrow for the strings, and also too shallow (causing the out of tuneness on the G and B strings which I bet is when they're played fretted on the lower 1-3 frets.)

The flipside of that is if they end up cut too wide/deep you'll end up with buzzing when unfretted either against the first fret (too deep) or the string will vibrate in the slot (too wide).

Again, once properly cut there's no need for any lubricant.

Whereabouts are you? Someone in the area may be able to suggest a proper tech/luthier to take care of this. If it happens to be in Brisbane/QLD region I'm happy to take a look :)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Ah ok man, I’ll keep that in mind. I don’t have nut files, and again, I’m hoping it’s minor and won’t need filed so that’s why I was asking about lubrication, which is widely said to be a solution to tuning issues. Hence me asking for some more details on it before trying it!
Don’t get me wrong man, if the problem persists, I’ll of course take it into another tech and see if they can sort it. The guy who works in the place I bought it is certified by Fender and builds his own guitars so I thought it would be in good hands haha.

What you think about the trem unit? Should that be set up to help with tuning? With the two lesser quality Jazzmasters I had, I didn’t have to touch the trem, hence my asking before trying it on this USA JM.

It’s actually higher up the neck it starts to go a bit off by the way man. Both the G and B run sharp normally, sometimes the high E too.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Haha, sorry man, I totally forgot to say. I’m in Glasgow. Thanks for the offer though man, would be great if you could sort it for me man!!

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can get to the bottom of it, if not, I’ll take it in somewhere.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:09 pm
What you think about the trem unit? Should that be set up to help with tuning? With the two lesser quality Jazzmasters I had, I didn’t have to touch the trem, hence my asking before trying it on this USA JM.

It’s actually higher up the neck it starts to go a bit off by the way man. Both the G and B run sharp normally, sometimes the high E too.
Trem setup ...
https://offset.guitars/the-goodies/sett ... lo-system/

Have you checked the intonation ?
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Cheers man, got it up on another tab ha.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Aye I checked it myself on a chromatic tuner which normally takes me close enough. I got it sitting close but still sounded a bit out. Took it back into the place I bought it, the tech looked at and said he had to adjust it a wee touch, but it’s cool. Not really sure why he didn’t have a look at other causes of tuning issues on Jazzmasters, but I’ve read a fair bit of players doing these things on their own, so willing to give it a shot. I’ll try lubing the slots, and saddles and set up the trem. It’s not far away, it sounds really class, not much noise off it either so hopefully that’ll sort the tuning issue. Might lower my action another wee tad too.

I’ve always just took guitars into the shop or ignored the issue with electrics especially haha. £50+ a few years ago for a service/set up, now I think it’s £100+. After what the guitar cost, I’m not really up for spending on getting it to play in tune man. I’ve had no string slippage and I always liked the stock bridge on my Japanese one, but maybe go Staytrem if I can’t get to the bottom of it.

ek11sx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ek11sx » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:20 am

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:50 pm
Aye I checked it myself on a chromatic tuner which normally takes me close enough. I got it sitting close but still sounded a bit out. Took it back into the place I bought it, the tech looked at and said he had to adjust it a wee touch, but it’s cool. Not really sure why he didn’t have a look at other causes of tuning issues on Jazzmasters, but I’ve read a fair bit of players doing these things on their own, so willing to give it a shot. I’ll try lubing the slots, and saddles and set up the trem. It’s not far away, it sounds really class, not much noise off it either so hopefully that’ll sort the tuning issue. Might lower my action another wee tad too.

I’ve always just took guitars into the shop or ignored the issue with electrics especially haha. £50+ a few years ago for a service/set up, now I think it’s £100+. After what the guitar cost, I’m not really up for spending on getting it to play in tune man. I’ve had no string slippage and I always liked the stock bridge on my Japanese one, but maybe go Staytrem if I can’t get to the bottom of it.
If you lubricate the bridge that will make the problem worse. The stock bridge is designed to have high friction to keep the strings in place on the saddles while the whole bridge itself moves

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:10 am

Really?

I’d read that putting graphite in the bridge saddles helps the tremolo, etc? I also done it on an old Jaguar I had, and my ‘62 reissue Jazzmaster with no problems. I wouldn’t put Vaseline on the bridge saddles right enough, just graphite.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:53 am

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:10 am
Really?

I’d read that putting graphite in the bridge saddles helps the tremolo, etc? I also done it on an old Jaguar I had, and my ‘62 reissue Jazzmaster with no problems. I wouldn’t put Vaseline on the bridge saddles right enough, just graphite.
Fixed bridge like Mastery, yes, saddles must be low friction so the strings can slide with trem use. Rocking bridge, no, saddles must be high friction to be gripped by the strings to rock it with trem use, and return it accurately to its starting position. Leo's original patent specifically mentions the need for that friction. That's one reason why high downforce on the vintage-style bridge is helpful.
Last edited by timtam on Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:56 am

Ah ok man. I’ll just lubricate the nut then. Thanks for the help, hopefully it sorts it.