Separate volume dials for each pickup

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Dennism
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Separate volume dials for each pickup

Post by Dennism » Tue May 15, 2018 5:21 pm

I love playing my road worn JM , but one of the issues I have is that the bridge pickup is quite a lot brighter than the neck pickup. Perhaps that is the nature of the Jazzmaster, whether it is a Vintage, American Reissue, etc.
I perform in a couple of venues that is very hostile to single coil pickups and the hum is actually louder than the guitar itself. To remedy this I recently bought and installed a pair of Kinman Surfmasters, and they sound great: quiet no hum, but there is still the problem of an unbalanced tone between the two pickups.
I have disconnected the tone pot, which gives the guitar a snappier tone, a bit more volume, etc. In addition, the volume pot is a 250 mg. I believe most JMs come with either a 1meg or 500 meg pot, which would brighten the guitar a bit.

Here’s my idea: seeing as how the tone pot is just sitting there doing nothing, I will wire it up to the bridge pickup (250 meg), and wire the neck pickup to the main volume pot already in place, but change it to a 500 mg pot.
Or go further still with a 500 mg for bridge, 1 meg for neck.
I think that would leave the bridge pickup as it is, but with the neck pickup having its own volume pot - a higher value - it would brighten up that pickup.
I would just have to get used to two separate volume controls, much like that of a Les Paul, or SG. I can do that.
Any thoughts out there?

Dennism
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Separate volume dials for each pickup

Post by Dennism » Wed May 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Oops I had my megs and mgs all mixed up! It’s 250 K on the volume pot for the bridge pickup, 500 K which is what I plan to use in the neck pickup. And then
maybe go with a 1 meg if that doesn’t get me where I want to go.