do 65' avri JM's come shimmed?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
deluxejazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

do 65' avri JM's come shimmed?

Post by deluxejazzmaster » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 pm

I plopped in a staytrem bridge and am trying to go through the adjustmenst after the fact. I was pretty amazed that the intonation was spot on right out of the box but I am noticing some buzz on the e string. I am curious what is a general guide for string height on a JM. I have a kt that has some specs on the ruler (states 1/16' for string height at the 21st fret (for general use and set up). Is this a realistic string height to set a Jazzmaster? Also, I was considering shimming my guitar but heard that these (AVRI '56 JM) have the neck pocket angled at the factory. I am looking at the neck pocket and am having trouble recognizing this (the binding looks pretty parallel to the neck pocket and would expect otherwise if so)- can anyone verify this theory?

Thanks ahead of time.
It could always be worse

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: do 65' avri JM's come shimmed?

Post by oid » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:15 pm

1/16" at the 21st is quite low, even at the 12th it is low, but doable if your frets and board are good, but you need to be a light player to get away with such action. The best height is the lowest you can get away with, 1/16" is a good starting point though, if you get to much fret buzz raise it abit, repeat until you find a good balance between height and buzz for your style.

As far as shims go, add them if you need them, does not matter of it is shimmed or not, if you need more down force you need to shim or use something like the buzz stop. A slight increase in bridge height may also take care of things if a slightly higher action works for you then that maybe all you need.

There are advantages to a higher action, do not get hung up on numbers, experiment and see what works best for you.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

deluxejazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by deluxejazzmaster » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:45 am

You told me what I needed to hear- thank you for your input. Good advice to always keep in mind as well.
It could always be worse

bigal1000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bigal1000 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:07 am

I think staytrem does not recommend using a buzz stop with their bridge ? I could be wrong !

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:11 pm

If you like the effect the buzz stop has on the sound there is no reason to no use it with a staytrem, it is just redundant since the staytrem was designed to stop the buzz, no buzz no need for a buzz stop? Buzz stop also alters the sound of the guitar though, kill the sympathetic vibration behind the bridge and increasing the break angle, if the affects the buzz stop has on sound are advantageous to your playing, I can see no reason why you could not use it with a staytrem.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.