CIJ JM pickups vs Pure Vintage '65 comparison

For help with setups and other technical issues.
tremolo3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

CIJ JM pickups vs Pure Vintage '65 comparison

Post by tremolo3 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Made a quick comparison clip for both: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU86007AczU

Overall, I liked the PV65 more, but only by a small margin. 65s are fuller. however I found them a bit more noisy too. :mellow:

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: CIJ JM pickups vs Pure Vintage '65 comparison

Post by hwestman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:49 am

As CIJ pickups tend to be stratocaster pickups in a JM format. That is having taller and narrower coils.

Since the correct format JM pickups will have shorter and wider coils a fuller sound and more noise is exactly what one would expect.

Telemnemonics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Telemnemonics » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 am

Did you check the resistance of the two types?
I'm not sure about the PV 65, I have some other USA '65 JM pickups and a MIJ, the '65s are wound hotter, so darker than the MIJ/ CIJ.
That's pretty much what i heard in the comparison, darker/ warmer/ fuller from the PV set.
While the MIJ/CIJ bobbins are taller, they are still half the height of a Strat bobbin, so not really Strat pickups.
All the current production Fender JM pickups are taller than the originals were, so it's kinda hard to point to what is correct.

I'm going to swap in a used Am Pro JM pickup to compare it to the '65, and that much maligned Am Pro is even taller than the MIJ, but still not as tall as a Strat pickup. Also a hotter wind. Not much love for them anywhere, can they be that bad? Maybe so!

I've also put Strat, Tele bridge and Jag pickups under JM covers, and find a Tele bridge is pretty nice as a JM bridge pickup, except that the pole spacing is too wide, plu i had to get blank covers and drill one for the wider Tele pole spacing.
Strat and Jag not so good, but both were lower wind than the JM I compared them to.
I recently picked up a Robert Cray bridge that's 7k and flat pole for another guitar, that might find its way under a JM cover.

Overall the Fender RI '65 set is pretty nice, but I'm still not sure if what I have is the same as the PV '65, or if there are two similar offerings.
PV and OV got some pups changed while others stayed the same.

Did you get the PV set new in box?
Did those come in any reissue JM's?

Shoot, I went to edit and quoted instead...
Last edited by Telemnemonics on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Telemnemonics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Telemnemonics » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 am

Telemnemonics wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 am
I'm not sure about the PV 65, I have some other USA '65 JM pickups and a MIJ, the '65s are wound hotter, so darker than the MIJ/ CIJ.
That's pretty much what i heard in the comparison, darker/ warmer/ fuller from the PV set.
Interesting they were more noisy, seems a flatter coil often has that feature.
While the MIJ/CIJ bobbins are taller, they are still half the height of a Strat bobbin, so not really Strat pickups.
All the current production Fender JM pickups are taller than the originals were, so it's kinda hard to point to what is correct.

I'm going to swap in a used Am Pro JM pickup to compare it to the '65, and that much maligned Am Pro is even taller than the MIJ, but still not as tall as a Strat pickup. Also a hotter wind. Not much love for them anywhere, can they be that bad? Maybe so!

I've also put Strat, Tele bridge and Jag pickups under JM covers, and find a Tele bridge is pretty nice as a JM bridge pickup, except that the pole spacing is too wide, plu i had to get blank covers and drill one for the wider Tele pole spacing.
Strat and Jag not so good, but both were lower wind than the JM I compared them to.
I recently picked up a Robert Cray bridge that's 7k and flat pole for another guitar, that might find its way under a JM cover.

Overall the Fender RI '65 set is pretty nice, but I'm still not sure if what I have is the same as the PV '65, or if there are two similar offerings.
PV and OV got some pups changed while others stayed the same.

tremolo3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tremolo3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Telemnemonics wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 am
I didn't. But according to specs, both PVs are 6.8k (weird, since bridge PUs are normally hotter...)
I can check CIJs resistance if you need this info.

Also, I made sure to have both sets at the same height for the most fair comparison.
Correct.
From my understanding, those are the ones that come with the AV65. Not 100% sure tho.

Thanks for your post man :)