Opinion on MIJ Jazzmaster tremelo unit

For help with setups and other technical issues.
City_Spirit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Opinion on MIJ Jazzmaster tremelo unit

Post by City_Spirit » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:10 pm

My first post! Hoping to gain some insight here...

I recently purchased a new MIJ Jazzmaster. The tremelo arm is loose so I removed the tailpiece, hoping to ziptie or hose-clamp the collet tight, based on what I've learned here in the forum. What I found is that the end of the tremelo arm only barely fits within the slotted end of the collet. Only 1/32" makes it into the slots. I have have two other JM tremelo arms and none of them even make it that far into the collet.

I don't have a point of reference for this - should the arm fall fully into the end of the collect, as shown here? https://reverb.com/au/item/4883619-fend ... aged-white

I can't image a hoseclamp doing much to secure 1/32" of the arm.

The Staytrem collet and arm unit would be the prefect solution... if only they shipped to the US.

I'm tempted to replace the entire Japanese tremelo unit but I'm not sure what is the most reliable path. Does anyone have a recommendation?

The Stew Mac Golden Age Tremelo is a good price point but there seem to be mixed reviews on the forum.

Would an AVRI be more reliable? From what I've read, I believe it would fit an MIJ.

Many thanks for your assistance.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Opinion on MIJ Jazzmaster tremelo unit

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Just buy an AVRI assembly and arm.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:38 am

You could get the Classic player trem which has a threaded collet.

Not a 100% free from play but the arm doesn't fall out.

I think you can put a spring inside the collet to make the arm stay in the right position.

A bit of tape around the arm to remove some play wouldn't hurt either.

MRBUGGO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MRBUGGO » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:03 am

regarding the use of tape. I found this unworkable since the tape always got jammed up inside of the collet and ultimately gets pushed down and stuck inside of the tremolo between the guitar and the tremolo plate.

MRBUGGO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MRBUGGO » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:11 am

Please see my opinion on this under the thread topic of "Mastery Bridge, does Tremolo arm......"

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:34 am

hwestman wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:38 am
You could get the Classic player trem which has a threaded collet.

Not a 100% free from play but the arm doesn't fall out.

I think you can put a spring inside the collet to make the arm stay in the right position.

A bit of tape around the arm to remove some play wouldn't hurt either.
This is what i do. I use one of those little black springs that are meant to keep the strat arm in place.

I liked this options so much that i have since bought CP trems for both my jag and a bass VI.

City_Spirit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by City_Spirit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Thanks so much for these suggestions. I went ahead and purchased a AVRI unit and arm from Reverb. I’m hoping this will be a one-and-done drop-in solution. I know where to look for advice if it doesn’t....

The Classic Player with a spring solution is interesting and I agree, every time i’ve tried using tape (Teflon primarily) it becomes a mess.

MRBUGGO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MRBUGGO » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:55 pm

FWIW, here's what I did to address the loose arm on my CIJ JM. It cost nothing and works fine every time.
I found tape undesirable since it got jammed into the collet and ultimately pushed down and out the bottom of it. So, I removed the collet and gently bent the teeth inward at the bottom with needle-nose pliers. This way the collet tightly grabs the tip of the arm to avoid constantly getting easily pushed too far down inside.
Next I took a common drinking straw (I like to use the clear straws since they are nearly invisible). I cut the straw to about 3/4 of an inch in length, then cut it long-ways and finally cut off about 10% of the diameter.
Now, when I install the arm tip into the collet, I hold the drinking straw insert at the opening of the collet in place, and push the arm down in to where it meets the collet teeth. I allow about a quarter of an inch of the drinking straw above the collet opening so that you can pull the straw out when you want to put the guitar in the case without the arm installed.
The arm now moves with smooth precision - no loose play, i.e. no rocking inside of the collet. No trouble at all when I need to remove the arm.

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:37 am

In addition to all that's been said above.... there's a ghetto-ish fix that involves putting the part of the arm going into the collet into a vise and bending is slightly. This removes all or a lot of the play.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:43 am

City_Spirit wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:41 pm
Thanks so much for these suggestions. I went ahead and purchased a AVRI unit and arm from Reverb. I’m hoping this will be a one-and-done drop-in solution. I know where to look for advice if it doesn’t....
You have made the best choice.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.