Slight string buzz - trivial or fixable?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JagWire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Slight string buzz - trivial or fixable?

Post by JagWire » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:11 pm

I've been playing my 62 AVRI Jaguar just about non-stop since purchasing it a few months ago and so far it plays like a dream.

Recently I noticed (and its probably been there all along) a slight string buzz. The buzzing is limited to the A and E string, predominately the E and to a lesser extent the A between frets 5 and 9. The guitar doesn't buzz anywhere else up and down the neck and the buzzing isn't terrible but it is noticeable if I allow myself to focus on it. I have no tuning/stability issues whatsoever.

The setup work I did on the guitar includes;
-7.25 mustang bridge
-11 gauge strings and intonation
-quarter turn of the truss rod to relieve some under-bow. Under-bow still remains and is only visible to the naked eye if you look down the neck like the sight of a gun, id say its on par with others I've seen from the factory.
-adjusted bridge height with factory shim in neck pocket, nice break angle with action as close to stock as I can get it without any tools handy.

I know its difficult to say without examining the guitar, but is there anything simple I can do to attempt to remedy the rattling on those two strings, or am I asking for the moon?

Regards

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Slight string buzz - trivial or fixable?

Post by timtam » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 pm

Do you have a fret rocker to look for high frets under A and E above the buzz point ? eg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Fret-Fin ... 3105761542

Can you measure the relief at around the 7th fret (capoed at first and fretted at last) ? eg with feeler gauge.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

JagWire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JagWire » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:08 pm

timtam wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:50 pm
Do you have a fret rocker to look for high frets under A and E above the buzz point ? eg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Fret-Fin ... 3105761542

Can you measure the relief at around the 7th fret (capoed at first and fretted at last) ? eg with feeler gauge.
For $5 I'm gonna go ahead and order one of these. Unfortunately I have no real measuring tools on hand at the moment. I can get to them tomorrow.

BUT

If I had to guess by eye-balling it...capo'd 1st and depressed at the last fret... .8mm from the top of the 7th fret to the bottom of the E.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:40 pm

If that's an accurate measurement it's about 3 times as much relief as recommended in the Fender setup specs.

Your 'E' string (given it is .011") will get you right in the ballpark if you don't have feeler gauges to measure with.

https://www.fender.com/articles/how-to/ ... ar-or-bass
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

JagWire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JagWire » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:53 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:40 pm
If that's an accurate measurement it's about 3 times as much relief as recommended in the Fender setup specs.

Your 'E' string (given it is .011") will get you right in the ballpark if you don't have feeler gauges to measure with.

https://www.fender.com/articles/how-to/ ... ar-or-bass
Thanks I'll post back when I can use a gauge tomorrow.

Lets pretend for a minute it is an accurate measurement - could that extra relief potentially be the culprit? I was under the impression relief tends to relieve string buzzing?

Also do I need to give the guitar time to settle after adjusting the truss rod and measuring the relief again? (if so how long?)

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 pm

Yes .. too much relief doesn't really fit with your particular buzz symptoms. But a feeler gauge will give you a more precise estimate.

When you're measuring relief, since you're basically using the string as a straight edge between the first and last fret ... you can also check to see if the relief is consistent across your problem frets and beyond, or if some frets are high. Before your fret rocker arrives. Obviously on a normal neck the relief should rightly lessen somewhat as you move to frets further away from the centre of the fretboard. So don't get too hung up on it unless you see an odd fret.

Don't worry about settling after a truss rod adjust. That's a myth (although I'm sure someone has seen a neck move more slowly at least once).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

soundhack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soundhack » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:54 am

changing to a set of strings with heavier bass helped me (11-52). i read somewhere that higher gauge strings don't move as much went vibrating - so are less prone to hit the frets.