Turning MIJ ‘62 RI (’93-’94) to 4way with rhythm and phase ?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
AmitEshbal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Turning MIJ ‘62 RI (’93-’94) to 4way with rhythm and phase ?

Post by AmitEshbal » Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Hi there! Long time reader, this is my first post here :)

have a Jaguar, MIJ ’93-’94, seems like a VR. I’m planning on doing some changes, and I’d like to hear if you think they’ll work together.

It’s generally a Johnny Marr mod, with a rhythm circuit and a strangle switch, with maybe also a phase switch.
Was thinking of using push/pull on volume and tone – volume to trigger the rhythm and tone for the phase.
For the strangle/treble boost I was thinking of the Marr plate.

Do you think that a master volume and tone can work? Meaning that the T and V pots will also affect the rhythm circuit.

I’m not a 100% sure I’ll use the phase, but if it won’t be in the way of anything, I’m thinking of adding it. The main thing is keeping the rhythm circuit, which I use a lot, and having the 4 way switch functions.
The reason for the push/pull is that I’m trying to figure out a way to have these functions and keep a cleaner look, without too many switches.

Another question – pickups. I was thinking of the fender ‘62 AVRI. I liked the demos I found, and the price is really good.
I use my Jag to play Jazz, free-jazz and noise, rock, r&b, and it’s used for both live and recording. Any other pickups I might wanna take into consideration for some reason or another?

Here’s a little about the specific guitar I got:
It’s gotten to me with some mods, after buying from a friend who’s brother modded it and kept in storage for years and years.
So right now it has some SG bridge humbucker (not my doing…), and the original neck pickup, which I pretty much like. It also has Gotoh tuners. Sadly the original tuners, bridge pickup and maybe case, if there was one, were thrown away around the time that 90210 was still on the air… :\

Thanks guys and gals!-Amit

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Turning MIJ ‘62 RI (’93-’94) to 4way with rhythm and phase ?

Post by hwestman » Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 pm

IF you idé the same volume and tone controls for the rhythm circuit it will be indistinguishable from selecting the neck pickup via the 4-way.

Regarding the phase switch I wouldn’t waste the effort unless you’re into low output honky and screechy sounds. But as you say - it won’t be in the way of anything.

AmitEshbal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by AmitEshbal » Thu May 16, 2019 1:21 am

IF you idé the same volume and tone controls for the rhythm circuit it will be indistinguishable from selecting the neck pickup via the 4-way.
Gotcha, thanks for the reply!

So maybe I should change my question to something like is there a good way to have these functions:
1. Rhythm Circuit
2. Pickups in series
3. Strangle or Treble boost

My only beef with the current rhythm plate is that the wheel pots aren't practical enough, and that I can use that area for the strangle/treble boost.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Thu May 16, 2019 4:49 am

hwestman wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 pm
Regarding the phase switch I wouldn’t waste the effort unless you’re into low output honky and screechy sounds. But as you say - it won’t be in the way of anything.
I think out of phase tones are actually fairly useful. Sure, clean tones are weak sounding, but when you throw on some gain,
harmonics start jumping off the notes like crazy and you can simulate a cocked wah sound. Perfect for Randy Rhoads type riffs, for example. Ymmv of course.

The rhythm switch on my main JM currently turns on the dummy coil for silent operation, but since I never turn it off, I’m very tempted to make it a phase switch like I have on my other JM.

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Thu May 23, 2019 2:07 am

AmitEshbal wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:21 am
Gotcha, thanks for the reply!

So maybe I should change my question to something like is there a good way to have these functions:
1. Rhythm Circuit
2. Pickups in series
3. Strangle or Treble boost

My only beef with the current rhythm plate is that the wheel pots aren't practical enough, and that I can use that area for the strangle/treble boost.
If you need a different setup for the rhythm plate Faction guitars offers a bewildering assortment of variations. But maybe you already new that since you're contemplating a 4-way.

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 am

alexpigment wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:49 am
hwestman wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 pm
I think out of phase tones are actually fairly useful. Sure, clean tones are weak sounding, but when you throw on some gain,
harmonics start jumping off the notes like crazy and you can simulate a cocked wah sound. Perfect for Randy Rhoads type riffs, for example. Ymmv of course.

The rhythm switch on my main JM currently turns on the dummy coil for silent operation, but since I never turn it off, I’m very tempted to make it a phase switch like I have on my other JM.
I'm sure it can sound cool in the right hands (not mine). I have just tried out of phase switching with clean sounds immediately hating it so intensely that I never bothered to try it out with different effects.

Maybe I have missed out... :)

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Thu May 23, 2019 3:00 am

I might do this in my jag build. But I’m not sure about the 500 pot.

Also a soundclip

https://youtu.be/Dj1mwiVN7F0
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Thu May 23, 2019 10:39 am

Back to the OP's questions on this, there is one way to achieve two of the things you're wanting at once:

Replace the rhythm circuit pots with 1meg pots (both of them), then replace the standard volume and tone with 250k pots. This way, you have what I'd call a balanced sound on the standard circuit, but when you switch to the rhythm circuit, you will be boosting the treble (or taking away less of it, really). Additionally, if you want to have it operate like a standard rhythm circuit, you just turn that roller tone down.

Of course, which this mod, you'll need to go to the pickup selector switch before you go to the 'rhythm circuit'.