Custom Bass VI string singles in the UK?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Custom Bass VI string singles in the UK?

Post by jorri » Mon May 20, 2019 6:44 am

Been looking a while... at £18 postage from Kalium or Labella can't really justify getting those.

Looking for the following 106, 72, 45, 29, 21p, 16p or close enough, since i want to tune to DAEBeb.
Started a band and its a trio, we decided no bass player since a good one that doesn't noodle is hard to find.
So I'm going to flesh out some playing bass AND lead on the VI, some on a synth loop, and the other guitarist with an octaver on some others...eventually hooking up a bass amp i guess.

As I understand it bass strings have a ball that won't fit the tailpiece, and guitar strings are not long enough, so if anyone knows any exceptions to those problems that would work!

Thanks

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Custom Bass VI string singles in the UK?

Post by JVG » Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi jorri

I did some investigation of bass VI strings a while ago, and don't know of any others that offer custom gauges. (If anyone else knows any, I'd also be pleased to hear about it). You might be able to find some manufacturers of 'Baritone' guitar strings that are long enough to use on a VI - it's worth a shot.

The LaBella postage cost is fairly steep, but in context of the lifespan of a set of VI strings, it's not so bad. And LaBella are awesome strings.

I can't help noticing the massive range of gauges in your desired set, from 16 to 106. That's pretty wild!

Let us know if you track down any other options.
J.

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 am

You can get La Bella strings for Bass VI's from both Thomann and Lord Of The Strings i Europe.

I get the wish for a thicker string in the bottom, but I don't know if I'd go for a 106, that's the same I have on my basses, plus the 95 I have on mine is pretty thick when it comes to having 6 strings next to each other.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Tue May 21, 2019 1:25 am

I like the 95 gauge 6th string on the VI as well, but I think the OP was looking for non-standard gauges for different tunings. As far as I know these are only available from the La Bella website.

I really wish there was someone making flatwounds in custom gauged sets for the VI - I'd be all over that.

Cheers
J

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue May 21, 2019 6:53 am

JVG wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:25 am
I like the 95 gauge 6th string on the VI as well, but I think the OP was looking for non-standard gauges for different tunings. As far as I know these are only available from the La Bella website.

I really wish there was someone making flatwounds in custom gauged sets for the VI - I'd be all over that.

Cheers
J
Do the La Bellas not do flatwound customs?

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue May 21, 2019 6:59 am

Yup i think i might have to go for it. I could probably find long enough middle 4 strings but not the heavy or the top.

For example some 1st strings only just fit my jazzmaster, without trimming the end off, so i'm sure they wouldn't fit the bass VI.

I have an idea though...I'm sure its all been suggested years ago on this forum but:

-If i buy some singles from labella, then the postage is dramatically cut if i buy about 10 sets worth and people on here, and on ebay may want to pool together...I don't think the postage rises too much but if it ends up £2 per set that's pretty good.
-just notice their sets are double the price nearly of buying each string individually :whistle:

*but yes i had the idea of the extended range. I often play lead+bass, the other guitarist playing rhythm+bass with octave pedal or just rhythm.
Its 5ths, but then the top two are just an octave up to make it reasonable. DAEBeb.....But i use a 12-60 on my JM in D and a 125 on my bass in C...just a heavy string person!

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 pm

The idea is good - you might find a couple of others interested in a bulk purchase, though I'm not sure if you'll have enough takers to get 10 sets. I'm already sorted, so I'm afraid I can't help.

Regarding the flat wounds, yes la bella only offer the standard set. I emailed them a while back to ask if they would consider custom gauge flatwound sets and the answer was no.

Cheers
J

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed May 22, 2019 4:37 am

Maybe 5.
couple of sets for myself.
and then some E-E standard sets.
Should be on eBay, i guess i'll post them here.
<£20 still i would think.
I see in the uk the flatwound set selling at around £60 wtf.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat May 25, 2019 2:59 pm

I found an easy way in the end.

Stringsdirect list the lengths of all strings (and where the taper ends). I measured and ideally 43" would be good for the highest string, from there about an inch less for each one. And 34" before the taper so they reach the nut (because tremolo).

Turns out Daddario Nickelwounds are fine. They go up to 40" before tapering and just shy of 41.5-42" on the whole

Except the highest might have less wounds round the post than ideal

And the lowest will be a bass string with a larger ball end (now i'm worried the actual string won't fit the tailpiece hole...lets see!)....but at least that 34" inches mentions lines up the taper ok with a 34" long scale bass- may have to unwind some of it i guess....and file out the hole, i hope not, or else be doomed to 95 guages

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:22 am

a minor update if anyone reads:

the 14 plain strings were barely long enough, it didn't look like i'd get much more than one winding...maybe that's ok...
...but luckily i had a spare Kalium string from about 5 years ago in 14. they look at least 6" longer.

everything else was fine. 6th string 107 i needed to ile in the nut slot and tug it a little at the 'knot' end of the string to get through the tailpiece but thats about it. the bass large ball end didn't hinder anything not that i pull upwards on the trem much but there is room to do that, and the taper lined up well.