Any new solutions for floppy trem arm syndrome since no more Staytrem?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Any new solutions for floppy trem arm syndrome since no more Staytrem?

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi fellow OffSetters!

I put in a Staytrem collet and arm in my Jazzmaster some years ago, and they work superbly, but alas Staytrem are no longer an option. BUMMER!

Anyway, I'm getting ready to get a new Jazzmaster, a CS Wildwood I got for a couldn't say no price, and I'm trying to anticipate and forgo any floppy arm syndrome I may encounter.

Any new product solutions out there in Offset land for curing the floppy arm syndrome?

Do I have to put the arm in a vice and hit the insertion tip with a hammer like in the old days, that I've read about?

Or will I be forced to choose the fave Jazzmaster that will be the recipient of my one and only Staytrem collet and arm?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any new solutions for floppy trem arm syndrome since no more Staytrem?

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:09 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:58 pm
Do I have to put the arm in a vice and hit the insertion tip with a hammer like in the old days, that I've read about?
Definitely no (hitting with a) hammer required. If it's secured in a vice you can easily bend it, and you only need the slightest of bends.

I didn't have a vice handy when I did mine, so I just put some padding around the short end and did it by hand, using a pair of combination pliers like this:
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:14 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:09 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:58 pm
Definitely no (hitting with a) hammer required. If it's secured in a vice you can easily bend it, and you only need the slightest of bends.

I didn't have a vice handy when I did mine, so I just put some padding around the short end and did it by hand, using a pair of combination pliers like this:
Sweet! Great tip...err. no pun intended! I'll try just a bit of a bend, and keep upping the ante if needed.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Good plan. You'd barely know mine have bends in them just from looking at them - but they stay put where I leave them.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:50 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:21 pm
Good plan. You'd barely know mine have bends in them just from looking at them - but they stay put where I leave them.
With this mod, you'd have to leave the trem arm in the guitar even when the guitar is in its case correct?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:55 pm

The arms are still removable with some effort, but I leave them in all the time (including in the case), and have done for years. Just regular AVRI vibratos/arms.
David McComb, 1987.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:00 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:55 pm
The arms are still removable with some effort, but I leave them in all the time (including in the case), and have done for years. Just regular AVRI vibratos/arms.
10-4! I usually take my Staytrem out, just cause, I don't know, habit, but I have no problem starting to leave the trem arm in there.
Does leaving the arm in there chew up your case? I'd have to keep the guitar in its case.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:42 pm

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:00 pm
andy_tchp wrote:
10-4! I usually take my Staytrem out, just cause, I don't know, habit, but I have no problem starting to leave the trem arm in there.
Does leaving the arm in there chew up your case? I'd have to keep the guitar in its case.
Nope, just puts a little arm-shaped dent in the fuzzy top.

I never remove the arms from my JM or Jag.

Oh, and Mastery's trem has an arm that can be dialed in to whatever amount of play you want.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:32 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:42 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:00 pm
andy_tchp wrote:
Nope, just puts a little arm-shaped dent in the fuzzy top.

I never remove the arms from my JM or Jag.

Oh, and Mastery's trem has an arm that can be dialed in to whatever amount of play you want.
I can live with a little arm shaped dent, I really could!

That's good to know about the Mastery...if I get really frustrated, I may consider going that route. But I may pirate raid my other Jazzmaster first for the Staytrem collet!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:58 am

RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:32 pm

That's good to know about the Mastery...if I get really frustrated, I may consider going that route. But I may pirate raid my other Jazzmaster first for the Staytrem collet!
Think of leaving the arm in like having a Bigsby- you don't take the arm off those! :D

Funny enough, getting a Johnny Marr Jag is what moved me to get the Mastery trem. After having an arm that stayed where I left it, and one that didn't squeak, I was spoiled!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:58 am
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:32 pm

Think of leaving the arm in like having a Bigsby- you don't take the arm off those! :D

Funny enough, getting a Johnny Marr Jag is what moved me to get the Mastery trem. After having an arm that stayed where I left it, and one that didn't squeak, I was spoiled!
True about the Bigsby, I have a Gretsch Falcon and the cool thing about the Bigsby though, is that you can rotate the arm so it points toward the base of the Bigsby over the plate, and I don't even know if the case puts much pressure on it at all!

So I got the Jazzmaster, and first of all, I'm in Love, EL U VEE. But second the arm popped in there and there is enough friction that it's staying put really well! I'm sure that if I start yanking it out, it will be bye bye tightness.

Any particular way you orient your arm when you store it in its case? I have one of those G&G rectangular vintage style cases.

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:11 pm

Does the slight bend technique increase the friction to the point it's uncomfortable to do the whole Kevin Shields glide guitar thing?
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:14 pm

It doesn't alter the feel of the vibrato at all, it just stops the arm from swinging around when you let the bar go.

RockNRollShakeup: when in the case I just orient the arm pretty much as it sits when the guitar is being played.
David McComb, 1987.

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:03 pm

Nice! Just to be sure... You bend the short end of trem arm. Does it matter which direction? I don't wanna ruin mine and wait 1 month till another gets shipped here
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:13 pm

aliendawg wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:03 pm
Nice! Just to be sure... You bend the short end of trem arm. Does it matter which direction? I don't wanna ruin mine and wait 1 month till another gets shipped here
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... ars?page=5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCUVd3pvTPA
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.