Jazzmaster VM - neck straight

For help with setups and other technical issues.
buscon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster VM - neck straight

Post by buscon » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:23 am

hi,

I have a Jazzmaster VM, the neck is quite straight, when I test the neck relief, the E string is touching the 8th fret.
So I tried to loosen the truss rod: after a first 1/4 turn, the screw was really loose, as it was not doing anything and in fact, nothing changed on the neck. I kept unscrewing it and after about 2 entire turns, it made some resistance and i turned another full turn. I also tuned the guitar one tone up, but the relief is almost not there, maybe there is a minimal improvement.
I am using a 0.11 string set.

What do you suggest to do? should i keep unscrewing the truss rod?
Now the screw even slightly pop up from the top of the neck.

Important to notice is that the playability of the guitar is good, so maybe should I just leave the guitar as it is, even though the neck relief test seems to show a too flat neck?

thanks!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster VM - neck straight

Post by timtam » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 pm

Given that it plays OK I wouldn't be too concerned. But you may want to look at whether the 1st fret capo/end-fretted relief method could be tricking you into thinking it's flatter than it is, eg if one or more key middle frets are high. Do you have a long straight edge ? Is so lie it over the frets and see if it shows the same thing, or does it sit on a high fret ? You can also check the relief of the fretboard itself with a 25.5-scale notched straight edge (and the non-notched regions can double as a regular straight edge).

If it really is too flat / outside truss rod range and starts to cause problems, there are ways to re-add some bow with clamps and heat.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

buscon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by buscon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 am

timtam wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 pm
Given that it plays OK I wouldn't be too concerned. But you may want to look at whether the 1st fret capo/end-fretted relief method could be tricking you into thinking it's flatter than it is, eg if one or more key middle frets are high. Do you have a long straight edge ? Is so lie it over the frets and see if it shows the same thing, or does it sit on a high fret ? You can also check the relief of the fretboard itself with a 25.5-scale notched straight edge (and the non-notched regions can double as a regular straight edge).

If it really is too flat / outside truss rod range and starts to cause problems, there are ways to re-add some bow with clamps and heat.
Thanks for your suggestions, I don't have a long straight edge, so I cannot check now. The neck looks straight to me.

I brought the guitar to a reparing shop, they can tell me more on Thursday, when the technician is there. For now I will stop doing anything and see whether the guitar improves and hope it's all ok.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:29 am

IMO the playability of the guitar is prob. good *because* the neck is so straight. What gauge strings are you using? I wouldn’t be too bothered (I would be bothered by back-bow, or a neck that stayed concave all the way through adjustment.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

buscon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by buscon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:26 am

Danley wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:29 am
IMO the playability of the guitar is prob. good *because* the neck is so straight. What gauge strings are you using? I wouldn’t be too bothered (I would be bothered by back-bow, or a neck that stayed concave all the way through adjustment.
thanks for your answer!
I am now using a set of 0.11 strings and I tuned the guitar one tone up.