David Gilmour QPickups clone

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Nop10427
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

David Gilmour QPickups clone

Post by Nop10427 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:38 pm

I have a strat american standard 2009 with tonerider pure vintage pickups. Specs:
Neck Alnico 5 5.9k
Middle Alnico 5 6.1k
Bridge Alnico 5 (E-A-D) Alnico 3 (G-B-e) 6.45k

I was thinking to change them, because i like the vintage tone but i feel a lack of definition in the sound.

I found a set of David Guilmour clones from QPickups. Specs:
Bridge pickup is HOT @ 12,9 kOhm, AWG43 wire POLY ENAMELED wire.
Middle pickup is Fender CS 69 replica - 5.8 kOhm with vintage correct AWG42 PLAIN ENAMEL - grey bottom bobbin, - R.W.R.P. for hum canceling
Neck pickup is Fender FAT 50s clone - 6kOhm with vintage correct AWG42 HEAVY FORMVAR wire.

Read great reviews about qpickups and DGQP but i cant find decent tests on youtube.
Do you think its a good upgrade for my strat? Qpickups are really great or is better to spend a bit more and buy the original DG pickups? Any thoughts? any experience with QPickups?

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: David Gilmour QPickups clone

Post by pikmin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:59 pm

I never tried Q_pickups in a Strat but I have 2 Jazzmaster Q_pickups sets : one set is vintage style and the other is his hybrid Jazzmaster set ( Jazzmaster Bobbins with steel slugs and 2 alnico 5 bars so it’s like a Jazzmaster/P90/humbuckers Hybrid) .
He also made me a custom vintage style Jaguar set for my CIJ Jaguar .

I love the 3 sets .
For the Jazzmaster , I can compare with Novak’s cause I also have a Jazzmaster with a Curtis Novak JM-V in the neck en a JM-Fat in the bridge . I love the Novak’s but really the Q_pickups are as good but different .

For the Jaguar , I had one with a fender Pure vintage 65 set and I prefer the Q-pickups .

But , everything is a matter of taste I Guess. But I can say that his pickups are really good .

I should keep the secret , so the prices will not increase too fast haha ...

I also think about buying a set for my MIM Strat ...