Wiring a humbucker in a Mustang

For help with setups and other technical issues.
skern
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Wiring a humbucker in a Mustang

Post by skern » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:11 pm

Hello. I am swapping out the single coil bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan single coil sized humbucker. I'm just not sure of the wiring. Here's a pic. The humbucker's wires are green, red, white, black, and bare.

I don't really care about the specific wiring, whatever requires the least change to the wires that are already in place. Perhaps #1 position (left-most) is full humbucker, #2 position (middle) disengages the humbucker, and #3 position (right-most) is parallel wiring for the humbucker.

Can someone help me figure out where to solder the 5 wires?

Also, on a separate note, I ended up flipping the humbucker because the wire bundle was preventing it from sliding in to the cavity. Does this affect anything?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wiring a humbucker in a Mustang

Post by timtam » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:41 pm

skern wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:11 pm
I don't really care about the specific wiring, whatever requires the least change to the wires that are already in place.
That would be wiring it like one of the SD SC-sized HBs shown here ...
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

skern
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by skern » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:06 pm

timtam wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:41 pm
That would be wiring it like one of the SD SC-sized HBs shown here ...
Thanks!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:30 am

Yes that's the simplest that preserves the existing function of the switches. Other options lose some existing switch functions or require extra switches. But some of the stock switch positions are redundant. So just depends on how much you want to explore at this stage.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Ronkirn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ronkirn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:31 am

with SD pups.. when using a 5 wire pickup in a guitar that had a 2 wire pickup, you connect the Red and White together... then the Green and the Bare wire are your ground and the Black is hot... its no more complicated than that.

You essentially wind up with two wires, the Green/Bare and the Black... the fact that the black is hot throws some off because the black is neutral or ground in so many other pickups.. not so here..

If you get it connected with a second pickup and when you play it sounds honky when you select the two together... you reverse the Green connection and the Black, with the ground now becoming the Black/Bare wires.. this will put them in phase with each other in the middle position.

rk
“It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain