Which new toggle switch will fit in my Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

For help with setups and other technical issues.
j_flanders
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Which new toggle switch will fit in my Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

Post by j_flanders » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:39 pm

Can anyone please confirm that this one will fit my VMJM:

I absolutely want a switchcraft switch. A few years ago I put a switchcraft toggle switch in another guitar, and although expensive it's totally worth it.

I had bad luck when I replaced the volume pot in my VMJM and had to dremel out the cavavity because there's so little space in there next to the edges.
I couldn't find a mini pot back then and thought a regular size would surely fit. Absolutely Not...
I don't want that to happen again.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Which new toggle switch will fit in my Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

Post by Danley » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:12 pm

Fit mine. Then again I had no trouble with full-sized pots either.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

j_flanders
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by j_flanders » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:21 pm

Great! Thank you very much for the quick answer. Now I can order one right away.

Maybe all full size pots aren't equal size? It was only a mm or two I had to dremel out for the pot casing to fit inside the cavity but still.

I'll give an update after it arrives and is installed.

j_flanders
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by j_flanders » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:37 am

As promised a little update:

I installed the switch today. As you said, it fits fine inside the cavity. No problems there.

Surprisingly I didn't see any work done to the cavaity from installing a new volume pot a couple of years ago. I must have remembered wrongly.

While I was in there I also installed a new (Switchcraft) output jack. The hole in the pickguard needed a little reaming out as the outer diameter of the switchcraft jack was slightly larger than the stock one.
This is probably also what happened when I installed the new volume pot.

Conclusion:
-plenty of space in the cavity
-pickguard holes are too small for regular size pot bushing and Switchcraft jack
-As always, the Switchcraft stuff feels so good, oozing quality...

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Weird thing is that switch type is ‘normal’ for a Jazzmaster, not sure how Squier wound up using the Les Paul style/vertical switch in the first place; the genuine Fender switch also uses a hex rather than finger nut. In any case the stock switch was a bit dodgy on mine; not unusable, just flimsy. I wound up grabbing an AVRI pickguard (with appropriate US rhythm circuit bracket; ) fit the pots well but not the bridge holes.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!