Bending the Arm

For help with setups and other technical issues.
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Bending the Arm

Post by tune_link » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:16 am

Maybe there's an FAQ here somewhere but I couldn't find it. Surprisingly there isn't a Youtube tutorial already either....

Since so many of you have offsets with perfectly curved vibrato/trem arms and I almost none of mine save one came that way, how do you go about bending it from an angle into a nice curve? I read an article that Mike Adams posted somewhere saying it could be done just using your hands but I don't know if he has Superman strength or the arms of his offsets are just made of really malleable metal but I had absolutely zero luck with that. Would y'all suggest using a hammer or do I want to put this thing in a vice only and slowly bend it that way?

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bending the Arm

Post by jakeisjake » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:20 am

following.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 am

I use my work bench dog holes to bend trem arms. I had better luck using two posts for a cyclone/chain link fence, which are typically found around any fence/gate. The rounded posts help me work a curve into the whole affair.

Basically concept is the same. Insert the side you want to bend, using the corner of bench hole or edge of a post to bend against. Let the other end lock against the other post or the side of the hole, and pull on the longer end. The fulcrum point is the point at which you will make your bends.

For the record I can bend the arm with my two mitts but I also benefit from having super human strength ::)

I modified my CV Jag arm using a bench hole.

50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

Puisheen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Puisheen » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:57 am

tune_link wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:16 am
I read an article that Mike Adams posted somewhere saying it could be done just using your hands but I don't know if he has Superman strength or the arms of his offsets are just made of really malleable metal but I had absolutely zero luck with that.
Lol I do have pretty thick arms, that's fair.

From experience, I've had an easier time bending vintage and AVRI 62 arms than any of the post-AV65s with the sharp angle, which seem to be a bit sturdier. If you have access to a heat gun, that can help if your arm is particularly tough. With most though, you can try putting a little weight on the arm while you're hovering over a workbench. Do so carefully and only a little bit at a time.

As a side note, I don't recommend bending import arms. They tend to snap.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:19 am

To achieve what?
The MIJ arms have a straight angle. The AVRI are curved.
Or to bend it upwards for easier gliding... or the hidden part to sit better in the collet.

Dont ask me anyway, i have one that is now snapped in two. Happened a while after it was bent but i presume its the reason.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:21 am

Though may have it wrong about which models have a bend. The avri62 replacement one is curved. The mij and squier ones are angled that i have had.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Debaser wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 am
I modified my CV Jag arm using a bench hole.

Wow!
Now that looks like a significant upgrade!
:whistle:
Thought it was Sonic Blue at first! Great colour choice! Especially the knobs!
And the neck looks amazing!

I guess you don‘t like Tort that much... but any chance that the CV-Tortoise looks way better than the VM one? I would like to change mine!

And to the bending:
I used the work bench in my father‘s Atelier to bend my replacement out of M5 steel... but I didn‘t try it on one of my import-bars yet ... but yes, they appear sturdy!

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:01 pm

dude. take the trem arm and bend it to your liking. it's a 10 €/$-part.
Nobody exists on purpose.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:19 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:12 pm
Wow!
Now that looks like a significant upgrade!
:whistle:
Thought it was Sonic Blue at first! Great colour choice! Especially the knobs!
And the neck looks amazing!

I guess you don‘t like Tort that much... but any chance that the CV-Tortoise looks way better than the VM one? I would like to change mine!

And to the bending:
I used the work bench in my father‘s Atelier to bend my replacement out of M5 steel... but I didn‘t try it on one of my import-bars yet ... but yes, they appear sturdy!
Heh, thanks, I sold it off this way too :squint:

I'm a recovering tort addict, actually, "tort'd" everything for awhile, from vintage guards to Spitfire. The CV tort is 'real', i.e. has depth, random patterning, but it's very dark. The VM is printed and not very well at that. My CC has an AV mint guard, the closest fitting (I tried a couple of imported guards first). The lower control plate does not fit perfectly, and the plate had to be relocated to fit.

I tried to get the factory bend out of the bar, but the bar is sturdy.
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:02 pm

Puisheen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:57 am
tune_link wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:16 am
I read an article that Mike Adams posted somewhere saying it could be done just using your hands but I don't know if he has Superman strength or the arms of his offsets are just made of really malleable metal but I had absolutely zero luck with that.
Lol I do have pretty thick arms, that's fair.

From experience, I've had an easier time bending vintage and AVRI 62 arms than any of the post-AV65s with the sharp angle, which seem to be a bit sturdier. If you have access to a heat gun, that can help if your arm is particularly tough. With most though, you can try putting a little weight on the arm while you're hovering over a workbench. Do so carefully and only a little bit at a time.

As a side note, I don't recommend bending import arms. They tend to snap.
Thanks Mike! This is super helpful info. This one in particular is on a MIM Jazzmaster so I’m thinking maybe just replace it is the thing to do. It doesn’t have the trem lock anyway and I kind of want that. The one I have that is bent already is an AVRI one that’s on my Jaguar so maybe I’ll just upgrade and call it a win.