Classic Player and Squier J Mascis: Same Bridge?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
kingmedicine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Classic Player and Squier J Mascis: Same Bridge?

Post by kingmedicine » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Hi all,

I just picked up a Squier JMJM body and neck recently from a friend (too good of a deal to pass up). I have two JM’s already that I have set up for trem use with Mastery and StayTrem bridges, so I want to put a AOM/TOM bridge back on the Mascis and set it up with a hardtail-style plate. However, I am unsure what would be the exact replacement bridge part for these. I see a lot of Fender Classic Player AOM assemblies for sale, is the same in terms of post threading and post spacing? I tried searching around on the forum a little, but mostly saw threads about replacing the AOM with StayTrem or a roller-style bridge.

So wondering if I can buy a Classic Player bridge and have it drop right in, or if there are other bridges that are equivalent.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Classic Player and Squier J Mascis: Same Bridge?

Post by timtam » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:22 pm

It was my supposition that the Squier JMJM had the 0076230049 /0076230000 CP bridge. ie M8 posts and 6mm tops. However I have recently looked more closely at the JMJM and seen that it appears in all pics to have a retaining wire on its AOM ..
https://reverb.com/au/item/11541452-squ ... nd-tremolo

The CP's 0076230049 / 0076230000 AOM does not ...
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-cl ... 076230049/
http://wscmusic.com/itemView.php?query= ... =3839&lv=1

So the question now is whether the JMJM still has the same M8 posts and 6mm post tops as the CP, in which case it is quite likely that it would be a direct swap (dependent on post-to-post spacing, usually ~74mm) ... just not guaranteed. ;) The retaining wire of course is generally regarded as a PITA. The pics I have seen do indeed suggest that the JMJM posts are M8 ....
https://reverb.com/nz/item/1220736-squi ... ter-bridge

So the answer to your question is a cautious 'yes'. Maybe someone has direct experience of a swap ?

Other likely M8/6mm equivalents are some roller AOMs .. which are arguably a better choice for a fixed bridge to be paired with the trem (a combination that relies on strings sliding over low-friction saddles). Edit: just noticed you're considering a hardtail .. so no advantage to a roller.

Note that the Fender MIJ version of the Mascis has a different, ABR-1-style bridge with the smaller posts ....
https://reverb.com/nz/item/2315694-genu ... 0080365000
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

kingmedicine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kingmedicine » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:21 am

Ah I appreciate all the details and the help! I have seen a couple people mention the M8 posts for the JMJM as well, so the CP one may work okay (at least they are pretty cheap generally).

I realize that this is not a parts switch many people may have made though :unsure: (maybe sacrilege not to go for the roller bridge).

soul1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soul1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:05 pm

I replaced the my CP bridge with a Squier Mascis one. The CP one developed a mysterious buzzing after a while that I couldn't get rid of. So I got a Mascis one and I've been pretty happy with it. It's a direct fit.

kingmedicine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kingmedicine » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 am

soul1 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:05 pm
I replaced the my CP bridge with a Squier Mascis one. The CP one developed a mysterious buzzing after a while that I couldn't get rid of. So I got a Mascis one and I've been pretty happy with it. It's a direct fit.
Good to hear, thanks! I found one pretty cheap and went ahead and ordered it...so I guess we'll see if the posts work as well when it gets here.

JohninJapan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JohninJapan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:52 am

Hi there, just to confirm that I swapped out the bridge from a classic player special jazzmaster onto the J Mascis and it fits without any alterations just fine.

The only difference that I can tell between the two is that the Classic player bridge is slightly chunkier and heavier in comparison. The J Mascis bridge was a little narrower and felt a bit cheaper when you hold it.

kingmedicine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kingmedicine » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:21 am

JohninJapan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:52 am
Hi there, just to confirm that I swapped out the bridge from a classic player special jazzmaster onto the J Mascis and it fits without any alterations just fine.

The only difference that I can tell between the two is that the Classic player bridge is slightly chunkier and heavier in comparison. The J Mascis bridge was a little narrower and felt a bit cheaper when you hold it.
Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated.

Just to add some additional confirmation in case anyone ever comes across this question in the future...I received my classic player AOM bridge and it worked fine as a direct replacement for the Mascis (as several people here have noted). I used the classic player bridge posts with the Mascis thimbles no problem and the bridge fit without any sort of spacing issues or anything weird.