Does anyone make a prewired Starcaster wiring harness?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Waygorked
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Does anyone make a prewired Starcaster wiring harness?

Post by Waygorked » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:33 am

I have a Modern Player Starcaster that I plan to drop Lollar Regal WRHBs into. I have come to accept that I truly suck at wiring. I have built about 10 partscasters, and my successful first attempt wiring average is well below 50%. As replacing the pots and wiring is such an incredible pain in this guitar, I’d rather buy something quality rather than wind up swearing and smashing stuff. Does anyone offer a good premade wiring kit with 1M pots?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Does anyone make a prewired Starcaster wiring harness?

Post by timtam » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:39 pm

I've never seen one IIRC. But it's basically just a LP-style or TeleDeluxe/Custom-style harness (albeit I doubt you'll find one with 1meg pots). Do you want to change the wiring or just the pots ? The MP's wiring actually looks quite nice ... shielded cabling throughout.
eg Stratosphere part-out ...
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/ ... xqtan0.jpg

Modern Player wiring diagram ....
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... ontrol.pdf
It doesn't show the pot values. While Fender has been pairing reissue WRHBs (ie regular HBs) in other guitars with 250k pots (strangely), it looks like they may be 500k minis ? (easier fit through f-hole) ...
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=97863

I think Lollar may suggest 500k for their WRHB clones ?

In any case I think your options are:
1. Ask any of the harness makers to do a LP or Tele Deluxe/Custom harness with 500k or 1meg pots (assuming they will fit through f-hole). You can connect the pickups with a solderless screw-terminal block (see 3). See youtube for semi-hollow circuit swap techniques (aquarium tubing on pots, etc).
2. Get a local tech to just change the pickups (and maybe the pots).
3. You change just the pickups with a solderless approach .... drag pickup wires out through f-hole, cut, attach to small screw-terminal block, swap pickups, pull new wires out through f-hole, attach wires to terminal block, tuck / velcro the block just inside f-hole.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

metulmike
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by metulmike » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:09 am

Hi there!

I'm looking into putting in some of the reissue Cunife pickups. Did you ever find a wiring harness that worked for this? Would be awesome know if there is something out there!

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:46 pm

Check out this thread, I did exactly what you’re think of doing and more - reissue CuNiFe pickups, 1m pots, orange drop caps, and replaced the bridge/tailpiece.

I didn’t have any issues with the existing wiring in my CV Starcaster, so I just replaced the parts I wanted to upgrade rather than rewriting it…all of the electrical connections were solid.

Be prepared to dremel out some wood to fit 1m pots.

viewtopic.php?t=97876

I will say that if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't. I would have gotten a better quality neck and body from Warmoth or somewhere - which I may do eventually. I spent hours getting the neck playable, and I find that I still don't like it.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:13 pm

Yes, I lot of people do that. I bought this one, for instance:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224576634710?V ... 4576634710

But I asked for custom pots since I was going to use Kinman pickups (hum buckers).

Wiring harness makers are all over eBay and Reverb.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.