CIJ 66 Reissue Pickup question(s)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
RexComb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

CIJ 66 Reissue Pickup question(s)

Post by RexComb » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:25 am

Hi, I'm new, but I've been a fan of offset guitars since I saw pictures of them in Ralph Denyer's 'Guitar Handbook' as a teenage in the 80s.

Anyway, several months ago I picked up my ‘dream jag’ - an old lake placid blue CIJ Jag with blocks and bindings (R-Serial 2004-05). Completely unused mint condition, imported from Japan and still with plastic over the pickguard and pickups. Prior to this I’d been toying with the idea of an American Professional, they played really well, great compromise between tone and punch from the pups, but I’m a traditionalist on looks and I also much prefer the original switching and lead/rhythm circuits than the newer setups on American Pros and Johnny Marr jags.

I’ve bought a pair of v-mod pups that I’m planning on installing. The factor pups are nice (particularly the neck) but a little weak on output and the bridge is lacking a little body (I’m used to Texas specials on my Teles!). Because I liked the American Pro so much, I picked up some v-mod pickups for an upgrade but have a few questions:

Do the stock 1m pots on the lead circuit need to be changed to 250k/500k?
Would the above negate the need to a treble bleed mod? (that muffle on dropping the vol lower than 75% is annoying)
As I use the rhythm circuit a bit, do pot values here also need updating?

(of interest, even though I've modded and upgraded guitars before, I'll be getting a professional to do this project)

I did search before posting, but couldn't find the specific answers I was looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Rex

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: CIJ 66 Reissue Pickup question(s)

Post by timtam » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:42 am

The Am Pro does have 500k (audio taper) pots and a treble bleed with its vmods ...
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... 7-2016.pdf

I am not sure that we have anyone who has tried jag vmods with 1meg pots. Fender may have gone with 500k because it felt the vmods needed them, or because they thought they could sell more jags if they were a tad less bright.

If you liked the vmods in the Am Pro then chances are they'll sound their best in your MIJ with 500k too. You could build a second control plate so that you can easily compare 500k to the stock 1meg. I probably wouldn't think about modding the rhythm circuit until you try it.

The mysterious 56k resistor is probably best left in to begin with too (although the Am Pro does not have it).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

RexComb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: CIJ 66 Reissue Pickup question(s)

Post by RexComb » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks timtam

I suspected that the Am Pro used a lower pot value. I’d imagine that the extra output from the v-mod could be a bit too much too end otherwise.

Based on the parts layout for Am Pro, would you recommend using the same cap and resistor values? https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... 7-2016.pdf