Mastery Bridge- Some movement?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery Bridge- Some movement?

Post by JSett » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:55 am

Pelicashka wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:08 am
I think this is too much movement

https://youtube.com/shorts/1IiyAQWBwbY? ... FWH6pehRgA
Nahh, that's probably fine. Mine moves about that much on my main JM and stays in tune perfectly.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Pelicashka
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Pelicashka » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:07 am

JSett wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:55 am
Pelicashka wrote:

Nahh, that's probably fine. Mine moves about that much on my main JM and stays in tune perfectly.
So, what should I do in this case? Should I just ask the luthier to take care of the tuning stability issues without replacing the thimbles?

I am kind of confused because some people are saying that their Mastery bridges don't move at all, and others say that they have some movement like you do.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:11 am

Pelicashka wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:07 am
JSett wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:55 am
Pelicashka wrote:

So, what should I do in this case? Should I just ask the luthier to take care of the tuning stability issues without replacing the thimbles?

I am kind of confused because some people are saying that their Mastery bridges don't move at all, and others say that they have some movement like you do.
I've had some that move a little and some that don't. Fender thimbles aren't made to as tight a tolerances as Mastery's own so they will vary somewhat.

That amount of movement wont be throwing you enough out of tune to be noticeable during the course of a few songs. The problem is almost certainly the nut. It's almost always the nut. Can't hurt to get him to put the correct thimbles in anyway. But you can also do that yourself very easily in just a few minutes if you have a soldering iron.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:44 am

JSett wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:11 am
That amount of movement wont be throwing you enough out of tune to be noticeable during the course of a few songs. The problem is almost certainly the nut. It's almost always the nut. Can't hurt to get him to put the correct thimbles in anyway. But you can also do that yourself very easily in just a few minutes if you have a soldering iron.
All of this. The only time it's not the nut is the unusual occasion where the vibrato plate itself gets hung up on the edge of the vibrato cavity/route due to misalignment or too tight a route.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Pelicashka
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Pelicashka » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:06 am

Thanks, guys. Going to pay a visit to the luthier tomorrow.