Differences in vibrato arms

For help with setups and other technical issues.
WackaWackaWacka
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Differences in vibrato arms

Post by WackaWackaWacka » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:25 pm

During my experience of acquiring and assembling Jazzmasters and Jaguars over the years, I've now found myself with an abundance of vibrato arms. I couldn't find a picture comparing the various arms, so I thought somebody might find this interesting. It's cool to see the differnences in length and curve. Listing the arms from left to right: Staytrem, Marr Jaguar, AVRI '62, AO 60s, AV '65, Mastery.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Differences in vibrato arms

Post by timtam » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:44 pm

Interesting to see them all together. It's like some make an effort to stay out of the way of the JM/jag bridge (by their bend) and others don't bother (more strat-like ? .. where avoiding the bridge is not really an issue). It looks like the Marr copied Staytrem (like with some of its bridge features).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Zeus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zeus » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:22 am

Photo doesn't seem to work for me.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:41 pm

Zeus wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:22 am
Photo doesn't seem to work for me.
Same for me. There is no photo.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 pm

Curious. I could see the OP's pic yesterday but not today. Anyway I thought it interesting so saved it ...
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:38 am

Wondering if that was from personal modification. I know I have bent a couple of arms to have a greater angle up from the collet. I bet these were also bent to taste by previous owners.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:48 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:38 am
Wondering if that was from personal modification. I know I have bent a couple of arms to have a greater angle up from the collet. I bet these were also bent to taste by previous owners.
Well, the Staytrem and Mastery are aftermarket so you can expect them to be different.

The Johnny Marr one is probably like that to his specification.

Between the three MIA "standard" models, I definitely remember some discussion around the fact that the arm has moved away from a smooth bend to a straight kink over the years.

I'm no machinist so I could be way off on this but maybe the kink is easier to manufacture?

WackaWackaWacka
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by WackaWackaWacka » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:28 pm

Sorry about the pic not working. Thanks to timtam for reposting. I didn't think about any of the arms being bent by previous owners, that could explain the variations. Personally, I prefer the Staytrem arm, it sits at just the right spot for me. I think the most bizarre arm in the bunch is the Mastery, but I guess it's suppose to be more accurate to the Pat. Pending vibratos.

Another difference/similarity was between the Staytrem and Marr pieces. There are two versions of the Marr arm and bushing. One with a black nylon insert, and another with a white insert. The arm from the black insert, is slightly too big for the white insert. The Staytrem uses a black nylon insert. The Staytrem and Marr bushings with the black insert look nearly identical, except for difference in bevel angle on the round cap. The Marr bushing with the white insert looks different, it uses a hex nut instead of the round cap. My guess is Fender licensed or purchased quantities of the bushing from Staytrem. Since the Marr Jaguar has been so popular, and stayed in production, I'll bet Fender decided to engineer their own version so they would not have to contract with Staytrem again. Purely speculation on my part. The pics below are not mine, but thought they might help.

Staytrem/Marr Black insert

Marr white insert

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:10 pm

Hmm, interesting... Now that I'm looking around, what I bought as to my understanding as an AVRI tremolo arm last spring is probably the AV '65 or AV 60's. Was thinking that it might not be the original bend from looking at pictures, but it's really useful to get a proper comparison like this, thanks! Would have bought a Staytrem the other week, but now it seems that mail forwarding companies don't work any more in addition to not selling internationally, but at least with this reference I can try to bend one myself :)
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:57 am

This thread is super fascinating to me. I got a Mastery trem for Christmas year before last and while I like how it functions (esp how the plate screws are flush so that they don't rub against the strings at all), the look/shape of the arm is something I def wish was different. I like the smoother bend of those first three arms in the pic. I have an AVRI trem on another guitar and it came looking more like the one next to the Mastery so I bent it slowly by hand to my own liking. I tried to bend the Mastery a few times but it seems much more difficult and I gave up after a while.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:59 am

tune_link wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:57 am
This thread is super fascinating to me. I got a Mastery trem for Christmas year before last and while I like how it functions (esp how the plate screws are flush so that they don't rub against the strings at all), the look/shape of the arm is something I def wish was different. I like the smoother bend of those first three arms in the pic. I have an AVRI trem on another guitar and it came looking more like the one next to the Mastery so I bent it slowly by hand to my own liking. I tried to bend the Mastery a few times but it seems much more difficult and I gave up after a while.
Right? i have one that is definitely kinked. I want a smooth curve so much more
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.