Pickup swap help.

For help with setups and other technical issues.
thirtydirtybirds
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Pickup swap help.

Post by thirtydirtybirds » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Hey folks.

I just got done swapping out the stock pups on my squier j mascis for AVRI 65s. Blue in the neck and red in the bridge. Once I got it all back together and restrung I tested it and am getting output just fine with the rhythm circuit engaged, but nothing on any pickup combo with the rhythm circuit off. I soldered the white lead to where the lead for the old pickups were, and the black wires to where the grounds were. I assume it has something to do with the rhythm circuit switch, since at least the neck pickup is working fine with it on.

What do I look at first here? Jazzmaster are a new world for me and the wiring is a little over my head still.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup swap help.

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:11 pm

The output from the three way switch (the 'lead' circuit) can short to ground very easily if the cavity is shielded with tubs/tape or shielding paint - there is very little room there.

This will give the symptoms you describe, and I have experienced this myself.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:25 pm

What brand are your replacement pickups? You cannot simply replace colour for colour as each manufacturer uses different colours. See this chart for details:

https://app.getpocket.com/read/15803345 ... fx_new_tab

This chart does, however, have issues. My Standard Jazzmaster had pickups made in Indonesia; or another Asian country; so Fender does not make them. These pickups had different colours to the chart's fender colours. When installing my neck pickup I had to look at the service manual and work out each role's wire in order to replace it.

What model guitar do you have?
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:39 pm

(Fender) AV65 pickups installed into a Squier Mascis was mentioned in the OP.

White for signal/hot and black to ground is 'correct' for these (though they would work totally fine if wired up with the leads reversed - they're simple two lead single coil pickups).

Given the symptoms of the rhythm circuit working I'd still bet the three way switch output lug/lead has shorted on the cavity shielding.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

thirtydirtybirds
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thirtydirtybirds » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:56 am

Checked it all last night. I had a bad solder joint on the selector switch from the common to output. Must have been weak to begin with and got worse when everything got pulled out. I did find another questionable solder on the rhythm switch as well and I re-flowed that as well. Buttoned it up and everything works and sounds great.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

thirtydirtybirds
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thirtydirtybirds » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:15 am

Additionally blue referred to the dots on the back of the pickups to differentiate them. I looked at some old threads on here that said the blue dot was for the neck pickup, and in the package the blue dot pickup was above the red dot pickup. Every set of fender pickups I have used has come with the neck pickup at the top and bridge at the bottom so I assumed that, plus the old threads, was good enough reason to install in that position.

Sounds great now, the mascis pups are good, but not nearly as nice as these to me. Not too shrill either, which is a complaint I have seen for the AVRI 65 set.