String gauge video by Rick Beato..discuss

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: String gauge video by Rick Beato..discuss

Post by ChrisDesign » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:05 pm

It’s personal.

I’ve heard a video going from 9 to 13 gauge at standard tuning, with thick et strings sounding better.

If you detune you cannot use light gauge strings.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

maximee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: String gauge video by Rick Beato..discuss

Post by maximee » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:40 am

Came across the video and thought it was interesting, because mostly the high gain/overdrive folks advocate the macho ballsy "heavier is better" dogma. But for me, specifically thinking about offsets, there's whole lot of other factors to consider:

Stock JM/Jag have a rather piercing, rich in higher frequency sound compared to a Gibson humbucker.

Also, one major factor is 1M pots vs. 500k pots on Gibsons or even 250k pots on other guitars. 1M means you get a LOT of high frequency transients /not so much HF roll-off.

A Les Paul or SG will naturally have a lot more low end. This makes this test not really applicable 1:1 for JM/Jags.

It's the bigger picture, with playability and user preference the most important factor. I really enjoy less high end and I really dig the more delicate "piano" type feel in a note, much more than crazy blues bendings and lots of finger vibrato all the time. It helps me to play cleaner and less noodly.
Also, as mentioned, more tension helps to keep the standard bridge more playable.

It's an interesting video, mostly with recording in mind, but then again the added low frequency is nothing a different setting on the amp/pedal couldn't cure. And not even talking about the cash Beato has invested in outboard and all...