Magnetic substructures for JM pickups?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Magnetic substructures for JM pickups?

Post by antisymmetric » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:48 am

epizootics wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:50 pm
I use steel base plates in many of my single coil designs. They are a cool way to beef up pickups with a low turn count. Since they can be used to force the magnetic field to flow through a certain path, I've also been using them to emphasize the harmonic content of certain portions of the vibrating strings. I make a Rod 90 with 'half a claw' that can be oriented either towards the neck of the bridge, resulting in a change in the general color of the tone. It's a simple design, I'm surprised not to see it used more often.

This is fascinating stuff- if I was building pickups (at present I struggle to finish a guitar so I have to choose my battles), this shaping of the magnetic field is the sort of stuff I'd want to be playing with. Cool to hear what you're doing. 8) 8) 8)
Watching the corners turn corners

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Magnetic substructures for JM pickups?

Post by epizootics » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:37 pm

antisymmetric wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:48 am
epizootics wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:50 pm
I use steel base plates in many of my single coil designs. They are a cool way to beef up pickups with a low turn count. Since they can be used to force the magnetic field to flow through a certain path, I've also been using them to emphasize the harmonic content of certain portions of the vibrating strings. I make a Rod 90 with 'half a claw' that can be oriented either towards the neck of the bridge, resulting in a change in the general color of the tone. It's a simple design, I'm surprised not to see it used more often.

This is fascinating stuff- if I was building pickups (at present I struggle to finish a guitar so I have to choose my battles), this shaping of the magnetic field is the sort of stuff I'd want to be playing with. Cool to hear what you're doing. 8) 8) 8)
Well, looking at your builds, I'd say you'd enjoy making your own pickups :) It is quite satisfying to make exactly what you have in mind for a particular guitar. You DO end up wasting quite a bit of wire at the beginning, but that's fun too. In the early days I spent days sketching up bizarre designs, some of which I still use today...and the rest of them ended up in a box labeled 'FAILED XPERIMENTS'.

The cool part is that you're never stuck again for presents on your musician friends' birthdays ::)

In any case, I'm always happy to help people getting started with the dark art of tiny wire & pesky magnets!

ps. Do finish that Dano-ish guitar of yours! I'm really curious to see the whole thing together.