New tuners or a set up?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
jonobolton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New tuners or a set up?

Post by jonobolton » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:41 am

I've got a Squier J Mascis and I'm having some tuning issues, especially when bending strings. I know this happens, but I find myself constantly retuning.

I bought the guitar last week, and I don't know what was on it previously, but for hygiene reasons I put a new set of strings on straight away. I put on 11s, so it's possible that the heavier strings are binding on the nut.

Should I have my guitar set up, or should I look at replacing the tuners first? I'm having a tech add a Staytrem arm and collet next week, as well as looking at the rhythm circuit, so I can get a setup at the same time.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New tuners or a set up?

Post by Embenny » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:45 am

Nut. Has absolutely nothing to do with the tuners.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:05 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:45 am
Nut. Has absolutely nothing to do with the tuners.
I mostly agree. There's a 90% chance that the strings are binding at the nut. This is the usual culprit.

However, it IS possible that a tuner can be slipping, although I will reiterate that it is probably unlikely. But it does happen - I recently had the high E on one of my Jazzmasters that slipped so much that I basically couldn't tune it. Wasn't the nut or the bridge - it was the tuning machine. This was on a 60th Anniversary Jazzmaster, too, so on a $1200 guitar.

I swapped the tuners and now everything is good.

TL:DR - it's probably the nut, could be the bridge (since these are adjust-o-matic), or the tuning machine, but that's the least likely scenario.

Edit: I missed that you changed the string gauge. You can revise my 90% estimate to 99% that it's the nut. :D

jonobolton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonobolton » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:28 pm

Thanks both. My guess was that it was probably the strings binding, but wanted to sound it out before asking my tech friend to have a look.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:38 pm

Well, here's the easy way to test. Tune the string in question. Now bend a note as far as you can. Check the tuning - probably flat. Now, press as firmly as you can on that string just behind the nut, and check the tuning again. Probably went sharp. If so, binding at the nut is confirmed (all of these maneuvers would only lead to a flattening of the note if the tuner was somehow slipping).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:06 pm

Also, having changed the strings you need to ensure you have good winding technique (minimal number, non-overlapping), and then stretch the strings to take out any remaining slack. There is some conjecture as to whether string stretching is physically stretching the metal permanently (ie plastic deformation for the engineers) or simply taking out slack in the winds etc. It's probably the latter. In any case, thorough stretching is needed.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 pm

Again: nut. If you like playing on 11’s then get a guitar tech to adjust the nut slightly.

New tuners are good if you go to locking tuners. They remove string wind slack from the equation and make string changes effortless.

The Staytrem collet is incredible! It transformed my Mexican vibrato from junk to perfect: better than the American Vintage reissue. It’sa very easy job to do yourself, although I needed all my strength to get the original Collet off. The assembled tightened it like their life depended on it!
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

jonobolton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonobolton » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:29 am

ChrisDesign wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 pm
Again: nut. If you like playing on 11’s then get a guitar tech to adjust the nut slightly.

New tuners are good if you go to locking tuners. They remove string wind slack from the equation and make string changes effortless.

The Staytrem collet is incredible! It transformed my Mexican vibrato from junk to perfect: better than the American Vintage reissue. It’sa very easy job to do yourself, although I needed all my strength to get the original Collet off. The assembled tightened it like their life depended on it!
I tried for ages to get the old collet off, but I don't have a vice to grip the plate in. It made sense to get it done at the same time as I get it set up and have the wiring looked at.