Mastery on a Mustang?!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery on a Mustang?!

Post by JSett » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:52 am

crazyzeke wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:32 am
JSett wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:56 pm
I had a Mastery on the FireStang. Worked great with my LesTrem conversion. Would recommend (although you've already done it so, well done!)

Now, if only Mastery would make an improved version of the shitty Mustang Vibrato, THEN we'd be in business
What's up with the MASTERY Vibrato buddy? I considered one years ago when I first split the collet on the CIJ stock vib but it works fine even cracked a little so I left it.
It's just a super refined version of the OG ones. Fender USA ones are notably better than the Japanese ones. Huge difference. The Mastery is the next step up. Tighter tolerances, high quality materials. Basically the Porsche version of the Fender one.

I played a guitar with the Descendant one. Wasn't overly impressed and it looks horrible IMHO. Also, Mastery were the first people to spend loads of time and money R&D'ing for offsets where everyone else was ignoring them. They set a trend and I like to support companies that did it for the desire to solve a problem, regardless of popularity of the instrument, over just cashing in on an emerging market.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:33 am

JSett wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:52 am
I played a guitar with the Descendant one. Wasn't overly impressed and it looks horrible IMHO. Also, Mastery were the first people to spend loads of time and money R&D'ing for offsets where everyone else was ignoring them. They set a trend and I like to support companies that did it for the desire to solve a problem, regardless of popularity of the instrument, over just cashing in on an emerging market.
That's an interesting take and way to spend money, I like it!

Yeah to be fair I remember in the early 2000s when I started switching from Gibsons to the Jag specifically, offsets wasn't well catered for. At all. Pretty shameful really. I still don't consider it super popular now although it is interesting to see Alex from Arctic Monkeys and occasionally Noel play one in High Flying Birds plus they haven't left the Jag/JM/Stang out of the Fender trender of weird models (Parallel Universe among others) plus Classic Player and all that. Wouldn't have expected that a few decades ago, although I still think they need to make more vintage radius boards for these things. 9.5" isn't vintage, it's hybrid between vintage Fender and regular longstanding Gibson 12", you know?

Basically though you're saying the money spent on a Mastery vibrato is better used elsewhere?
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:52 am

crazyzeke wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:33 am
[although I still think they need to make more vintage radius boards for these things. 9.5" isn't vintage, it's hybrid between vintage Fender and regular longstanding Gibson 12", you know?

Basically though you're saying the money spent on a Mastery vibrato is better used elsewhere?
Fender started switching to flatter radii in the 70s I believe. The Starcaster were pretty flat I think (possibly 10"). In the 80s they almost completely switched to 9.5". It's not a new thing at all.

I think the Mastery vibrato is worth every penny if you're a big vibrato user. On a MIJ/CIJ I'd change, in this order: bridge, electronics, vibrato

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:56 am

JSett wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:52 am
Fender started switching to flatter radii in the 70s I believe. The Starcaster were pretty flat I think (possibly 10"). In the 80s they almost completely switched to 9.5". It's not a new thing at all.
Yeah I've been spoiled as my current CIJ Jag is a Q serial which means about 2003-2004 (the CIJ Jag I first played belonged to my former friend who was a bassist so eventually it had to go back to him) and to be honest that plus the lack of blocks and binding for a simpler more comfy neck is why I love the Jag at 7 1/4" over basically everything else.
JSett wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:52 am
I think the Mastery vibrato is worth every penny if you're a big vibrato user. On a MIJ/CIJ I'd change, in this order: bridge, electronics, vibrato
Oh dammit when you say it like that it makes me want to take the plunge because I do use the bar more than most Jag players. Especially when recording - the classic trick of one guitar holds a chord, second guitar does an inversion or some fancier maj9 or whatever of the same up the neck and bar dips to create a modulation effect that way. I've done the bridge and most of the electronics - the vibrato is one of the last big stock parts on it.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:03 am

crazyzeke wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:56 am
Oh dammit when you say it like that it makes me want to take the plunge because I do use the bar more than most Jag players. Especially when recording - the classic trick of one guitar holds a chord, second guitar does an inversion or some fancier maj9 or whatever of the same up the neck and bar dips to create a modulation effect that way. I've done the bridge and most of the electronics - the vibrato is one of the last big stock parts on it.
Well, I don't know how your particular setup behaves but just ditching the MIJ vibrato for ANY alternative that actually has the string spacing correct you'll get improved tuning stability and a smoother, more reliable, action.

It's become a little common for a few people to badmouth Mastery - probably because they're expensive - but go back to 2008ish and they were almost unilaterally being hailed here (and other places) as heroes without capes.

We're spoilt now. I'm of the generation where I was buying 60s Offsets for £400-500 and routing for Super Distortions with a chisel and screwing in any bridge I could make fit. Having the options we have now is a gift

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:25 am

JSett wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:03 am
Well, I don't know how your particular setup behaves but just ditching the MIJ vibrato for ANY alternative that actually has the string spacing correct you'll get improved tuning stability and a smoother, more reliable, action.
Yeah the CIJ vibrato was/sometimes still is a vibbitcho - in order to get it mostly stable the spring tension is set in a way that the little thumb thing to restore tuning after a string snaps is made useless. It was the only way I could get it not to go wildly out of tune every time the bar was used, that and keeping the spring well lubricated (come to think of it, that'll need doing again soon, it's been a while).

JSett wrote:
It's become a little common for a few people to badmouth Mastery - probably because they're expensive - but go back to 2008ish and they were almost unilaterally being hailed here (and other places) as heroes without capes.
Well having personally spoken to Woody a lot around the time Mastery came into being, they basically are heroes without capes. Sweet guy, amazing vision, answered a lot of questions. I don't find that the prices have raised that much ahead of inflation - I would love to find my original purchase order for the Mastery but I've no idea which email I used to order it. The point is I'm rocking my well over a decade old Mk. I bridge and it's basically never given me any issues. I think the only thing I did because I was paranoid about bridge sinkage was replace the little screws for it with the two VGA output screws from a dead GPU card, spring loaded, and the action has never dropped which is great. Just as well as the only way to adjust the action now is remove the bridge.

People can badmouth Mastery all they want but in my experience the results speak for themselves, and not having to micro-manage the Jag to keep it playable is part of how it became my main guitar. With any of the other bridges this could not have happened.

JSett wrote:
We're spoilt now. I'm of the generation where I was buying 60s Offsets for £400-500 and routing for Super Distortions with a chisel and screwing in any bridge I could make fit. Having the options we have now is a gift
Omg you were one of the vintage butchers 😂 still if you own the instrument it's yours to do as you choose with.

Me personally, I said to myself early on you can mod it, but you mustn't route it. Which is why it ended up with an SHR-1b in the bridge. I was going to keep it single coils (there was a QP for Jag set in there and had been for a long time) but I kept playing at places where the single coil hum made it unusuable, so compromises had to be made. Fortunately, the Hot Rails pickup has become one of my favourite 'buckers in general so it worked out fine. Now if I wanted full size hums I could just buy any regular Squier or Fender and retrofit something else with minimal fuss and not having to go at the pickup routes with a chisel.

We are totally spoilt now, even compared to the early 2000s which was still pretty decent in terms of effects, amps and guitars. Amp sims were still a bit shit back then though - it's only been since about 2014 they've sounded realistic enough for me to use on recordings and not bother mic'ing up really loud valve amps cranked to get the same kinds of tones. Garageband alone these days has about 3-4 amps that sound convincing in a mix so that works out well.