Marr-style strangle switch headcheck

For help with setups and other technical issues.
GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Marr-style strangle switch headcheck

Post by GilmourD » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:27 pm

So, I'm building a Jagblaster (Jaguar with WRHB). I'm using a regular three-switch Jaguar plate for switching but I also have a Marr-style upper plate.

I need a headcheck to make sure what I'm thinking of does what I think it does.

Hypothetically: I wire the upper plate like a Marrguar (top switch is global strangle, second switch is series-only strangle), those are connected in series so that the bass cut happens at a higher frequency and cuts more bass out, right?

Further hypothetically: I wire the selector plate with its usual strangle switch, so there's the potential for three strangle caps in series when the pickups are in series, thus shifting that frequency even higher, right?

What I'm actually asking for: Just want confirmation that I'm correct in my thoughts that three strangle caps in series work the way I'm thinking they do. You can also tell me I'm psychotic for thinking about this, too. 🤣

I'm thinking that while this may not be an oft-used option it would work much better with the WRHB vs doing this with Jaguar pickups.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Marr-style strangle switch headcheck

Post by timtam » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:42 pm

In the Marr jag's circuit (schematic below), the series bright is in the series connection between the coil positive of the bridge pickup and the coil negative of the neck pickup. Which is only in-circuit in position 4 of the 4-way. The neck's coil positive is always connected to the main controls (ie in every position of the 4-way; the neck coil ground is just not grounded in the bridge-only position 1 so the neck pickup is open-circuit). The first thing the selected pickups hit in the main controls is the strangle switch.

So yes ... the series strangle and the main strangle are in series in position 4. I don't have a Marr jag, but presumably the series bright/strangle does indeed produce an extra effect, or there wouldn't be any point in adding it to the effect of the main strangle.

I'm not exactly following your second hypothetical. The Marr's main strangle is the same as the one on the selector switch plate of a regular jag (schematic below). It's available in every position of the Marr's 4-way. So using a regular jag switch plate would just have the same (main) strangle, not an extra/third one.

Obviously there's nothing stopping you adding a third strangle. The exact sonic effect would be somewhat speculative though. Remember that series capacitors do not yield the sum of all capacitances (ie a larger total than any individual capacitance) - they yield a lower total capacitance than any individual capacitance in the chain, since total capacitance is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitance ...
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbo ... apacitors/

Marr jag

Regular jag
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Marr-style strangle switch headcheck

Post by GilmourD » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:42 pm

timtam wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:42 pm
In the Marr jag's circuit (schematic below), the series bright is in the series connection between the coil positive of the bridge pickup and the coil negative of the neck pickup. Which is only in-circuit in position 4 of the 4-way. The neck's coil positive is always connected to the main controls (ie in every position of the 4-way; the neck coil ground is just not grounded in the bridge-only position 1 so the neck pickup is open-circuit). The first thing the selected pickups hit in the main controls is the strangle switch.

So yes ... the series strangle and the main strangle are in series in position 4. I don't have a Marr jag, but presumably the series bright/strangle does indeed produce an extra effect, or there wouldn't be any point in adding it to the effect of the main strangle.

I'm not exactly following your second hypothetical. The Marr's main strangle is the same as the one on the selector switch plate of a regular jag (schematic below). It's available in every position of the Marr's 4-way. So using a regular jag switch plate would just have the same (main) strangle, not an extra/third one.

Obviously there's nothing stopping you adding a third strangle. The exact sonic effect would be somewhat speculative though. Remember that series capacitors do not yield the sum of all capacitances (ie a larger total than any individual capacitance) - they yield a lower total capacitance than any individual capacitance in the chain, since total capacitance is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitance ...
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbo ... apacitors/

Marr jag

Regular jag
For clarity, I guess a picture will help. 🤣🤣🤣

So, basically I'm thinking that the selector plate would be the series/parallel mod that retains the strangle. Then the top plate would be wired like the Marr where there's a global strangle (so, a second global one in series with the normal one) and then the one for only the series pickup combo.

So, basically, would I actually hear a difference when in series mode with the series-only strangle, the other strangle on that plate, AND the normal one on? Would it not be very different than just the regular global and the series-only global on and I should do something different with the one I labeled "Second Global Strangle"?

Oh, it looks weird because I haven't done the routing on the body for the pickups, yet. 😅