Please need HELP with Johnny Marr wiring Mod

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JhonnyJag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Please need HELP with Johnny Marr wiring Mod

Post by JhonnyJag » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:27 am

Hey guys! Please can you help me with wiring suggestions.

I have JM standart circuit and I want to upgrade it. General idea to instal HH configuration into stabdart wiring and add Spin-a-split (coil split blending by POT) function for both humbs. But I try to find some wiring scheme and all creators of custom wiring do not want to do this and most of the time they simply do not respond after describing the task. Lol :( Lol, because at the beginning they write - we are ready to fulfill any orders and any complex schemes for clients. But...

I want add this mod like on CP Jaguar or Vintera HH - this guitars has disk knobs for this function, you can blend single to humb by disk knob, but TBH its not very useful. I want move it to concentric knob like on Jazz Bass with next configuration:
Example 1
with this:
POT 500/500

Here are the materials and examples that I came across on the forums:
Spin-a-Split 1 humbucker
Spin-a-Split Peavey
Some wiring for 1 humb LP

A similar scheme was implemented in the Peavey T-60:
T-60 wiring

Also it looks close like for 2 humbuckers:
for 2 humbuckers

CP Jaguar or Vintera HH wiring with blending by disk knobs:
CP Jag and Vintera HH

Also this is Johnny Marr wiring:
Johnny Marr Jaguar wiring

Guys please help, who has experience and knowledge in wiring electric guitars - perhaps you have already done this, encountered it, or by looking at these diagrams, you will immediately understand how to combine them :mellow:

I would just like to add concentric pots to the Marr circuit for the humbuckers without changing anything else in the circuit.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Please need HELP with Johnny Marr wiring Mod

Post by timtam » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:26 pm

In your Classic Player wiring diagram, the splits are done with 50k linear pots. The volume and tone on the Marr are 1meg audio. So your first problem is finding a suitable combination in a stacked concentric pot. A jazz bass with concentric pots usually has 500k/250k audio AFAIK. Those might work OK in a Marr. Using 500k instead of 1meg for the volume and tone pots will reduce the pickup's Q factor (treble emphasis) a little.

Assuming the bigger pots will fit in the cavity, it's a relatively simple mod. But most custom modding services (like those you mention) have little knowledge of offsets. Most won't know how the Marr circuit works. So you'd be paying for them to do some homework first.

Here's the Marr schematic, showing how its circuit works. You can match it to your Marr wiring diagram.

A dial-a-split pot is placed on the HB's inter-coil wire (so you need a 4-wire HB). Like in your (simplified modded) Peavey T-60 diagram and the CP/Vintera 60s below. Insert the half of each concentric pot that does the split into the Marr circuit there. The other half obviously becomes the regular volume and tone, replacing the original pots in the circuit.

Here are the dial-a-split pots in the Vintera 60s Modified/Classic Player HH schematic ...

"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

JhonnyJag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Please need HELP with Johnny Marr wiring Mod

Post by JhonnyJag » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:27 am

Thank you very much Timtam, eternally grateful for your help and examples!

To be honest ,I'm really bad at this :o but anyway, I'm trying to figure it out )) Can you please look at this example?
Example 1

Template

Do you think I'm on the right track?

I'm trying to merge these two circuits, by following your instructions, am I understanding correctly that I need to head to the bottom pot first, which will be the divider, following the example of Classic Player HH, and then I should move to the 4 position Tele switch?

Regards